Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 11,725 Times in 6,496 Posts

Premium Member

Default CALIFORNIA SUPREME COURT GRANTS LAW LICENSE… TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT

SAN FRANCISCO (TheBlaze/AP) — The California Supreme Court granted a law license on Thursday to an illegal immigrant who graduated from law school and passed the state bar exam.

The decision means Sergio Garcia can begin practicing law despite the fact that he is living in the United States illegally.

Garcia had challenged a 1996 federal law that bars people living in the country illegally from receiving professional licenses from government agencies or with the use of public funds, unless state lawmakers vote otherwise.

Shortly after the court heard arguments in the case, California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a state law that authorized the granting of the license. The new law went into effect Jan. 1.

Garcia arrived in the U.S. illegally 20 years ago to pick almonds with his father and worked at a grocery store and in the fields while attending school.

The case has pitted the Obama administration, which opposes licensing Garcia, against state officials who have supported him.

The Obama position in the case came as a surprise to some, since it adopted a program that shields people who were brought to the U.S. as children, graduated from high school and have kept a clean criminal record from deportation and allows them to legally work in the country.

At a hearing in September a majority of the state Supreme Court justices appeared reluctant to grant Garcia the license, saying the law prohibits them from doing so unless the Legislature acts.

The court is in charge of licensing attorneys in California.

Lawyers for the federal government argued that Garcia was barred from receiving his license because the court’s budget is funded by public money.

But Garcia said his case is about showing other immigrants that hard work and dedication mean something in the U.S.

Garcia, 36, worked in the fields and at a grocery store before attending community college. He became a paralegal, went to law school and passed the bar on his first try. He applied for citizenship in 1994, and is still working toward that goal.

His effort has been supported by State Bar officials and California’s attorney general, who argued that citizenship status is not a requirement to receive a California law license.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...gal-immigrant/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

California is ridiculous, bet this guy ends up defending illegal immigrants. I have to stop reading articles like this in the morning because it stains my day.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

This is as bad as this new legislation in Nevada which allows 'the undocumented' to have drivers' licenses - safe in the knowledge that their information will NOT be passed onto immigration authorities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4535905.html
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

I must admit at first I was a little irked by this. I did learn, however, that he came here as a teenager, finished high school here, and paid his way through college, Law School, and passed the BAR exam. He filed for a Green Card several years ago, and his English is just as good as any US native.

In all fairness, I think the guy has paid his dues.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Probably better English than I hear at the mall by the natives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 11,725 Times in 6,496 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    I must admit at first I was a little irked by this. I did learn, however, that he came here as a teenager, finished high school here, and paid his way through college, Law School, and passed the BAR exam. He filed for a Green Card several years ago, and his English is just as good as any US native.

In all fairness, I think the guy has paid his dues.
    In all fairness? Are you serious with that, man? Have you no idea of the legal ramifications of this disaster of a move? WOW
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Hey, he's living the American Dream. It doesn't sound as if he's living on welfare or sucking the state dry. He has become a PRODUCTIVE member of society. He should be granted legal citizenship.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

He applied for citizenship in 1994
    and over the course of 20 years nothing has happened on his file?