Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Indoor painting tips?

Hey guys,
    I'm seriously considering repainting a guitar of mine. I wanna get it done, BUT due to winter weather, I'm restricted to painting inside. Worse, I have a laundry room that could work, but I dunno if thats a good idea. Anyone have suggestions? I have a few but I wanna see if the forum might have some better suggestions. Thanks guys!
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

You would have to build an indoor spray booth out of 2x4's and plastic sheeting with a really good fan in a window to suck out the fumes and dust. The laundry room doesn't sound like a great place seeing as you will still more than likely get the over spray dust on everything. Is there a garage or even a shed you can put a heater in? Another option if you are just doing a solid color and not a franky, try contacting a local painter/bodyshop to see if they will spray it for you for a minimum charge. You never know, you may luck out and find someone who will do it cheap.

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Yeah- I have to agree- if you cant cover everything with a drop sheet you're going to get overspray on everything.
    Are you using acrylic auto paint?
    If so, your ideal temperature is 25 degrees (not sure what that is is American speak) and if the air is damp you run the risk of humidity blisters which will send you right back to the initial prep stage of your project.
    That being said, I have in the past kept the guitar in 25 to 30 degrees inside and then taken it out quickly on a dry day, put a coat on then taken it back inside to wait for flash off before doing the next coat. Your house smells like an auto shop for a few hours but no overspray!
    Ideally- wait for better weather though.
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I agree with above. Build your self a spray booth of some sort out of plastic sheet, or canvas tarp. If you can find some sparkless fans directed toward a window to extract from the booth. It's a good idea for not only getting rid of lingering fumes, but also to extract the atomized airborne paint particulate from overspray, which prevents it from landing and adhering to your freshly painted surface. Most importantly..make sure the area you are working in does not have a gas appliance, water heater, or furnace, because the pilot lights, or sudden ignition of the appliance can ruin you and your neighbors day. If you have no choice and you can do so, turn off the gas to those units while you are painting, and for a while afterwards to eliminate the fumes to a safe level.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I agree with above. Build your self a spray booth of some sort out of plastic sheet, or canvas tarp. If you can find some sparkless fans directed toward a window to extract from the booth. It's a good idea for not only getting rid of lingering fumes, but also to extract the atomized airborne paint particulate from overspray, which prevents it from landing and adhering to your freshly painted surface. Most importantly..make sure the area you are working in does not have a gas appliance, water heater, or furnace, because the pilot lights, or sudden ignition of the appliance can ruin you and your neighbors day. If you have no choice and you can do so, turn off the gas to those units while you are painting, and for a while afterwards to eliminate the fumes to a safe level.
    Well said! And WEAR A MASK!!!!! Even with fans the fumes get at you pretty quick. I learnt that the hard way- you get to feel nice for about ten minutes then you're the proud owner of a terrible headache for a few hours- ouch!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDFA5150 View Post
    Well said! And WEAR A MASK!!!!! Even with fans the fumes get at you pretty quick. I learnt that the hard way- you get to feel nice for about ten minutes then you're the proud owner of a terrible headache for a few hours- ouch!
    Yeah, for sure. Especially with lacquer. It sneeks up on you even outdoors. It doesn't have a particularily nasty odor compared to some harmful chemicals, but it can do serious brain damage if you're exposed long enough. So unless you wanna sound like Ted after his stuffing was put back in in the wrong spots...As WDFA5150 said...wear a mask!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Yeah, for sure. Especially with lacquer. It sneeks up on you even outdoors. It doesn't have a particularily nasty odor compared to some harmful chemicals, but it can do serious brain damage if you're exposed long enough. So unless you wanna sound like Ted after his stuffing was put back in in the wrong spots...As WDFA5150 said...wear a mask!
    It not cause damage brain!
    Why you say silly that???
    I perfently fene.........