Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Default A good story...

Now this guy is a real man......

Canadian lottery winner donates $40 million jackpot to charity

Unlike most big lottery winners who spend days, or even months, trying to figure out how they’ll spend their newfound riches, Tom Crist needed only a moment to decide where his $40 million in winnings would go: all to charity. Top on the list would be the medical center that cared for his late wife when she developed cancer.

Still, it took Crist more than six months to tell anybody — including family members — he’d won. The retired Calgary executive had been lunching between rounds of golf in Palm Springs when his cell phone rang and he was told the news.

“I was speechless,” Crist, 64, said in a recorded interview with Canadian public radio station CBC. “I really didn’t know what to say.”

Crist hung up the phone, finished lunch and went back to golf.

“I knew where the money was going to go as soon as I got that call,” he told the CBC. “I just didn’t want the media, the press, all that kind of stuff. So I just kept putting it off and putting it off, and putting it off.”

Finally at the behest of the Western Canada Lottery Corp., he agreed to go public and have his photo taken. The fine print on the lottery subscription he’d bought had demanded as much.

The shy and retiring senior showed up for his win photo in dark glasses and a baseball cap.

“They asked, ‘Is that your natural look?’” Crist told the CBC. “I said, yep. That’s all you’re getting. You’re not getting a smile, nothing.”

The former CEO of EECOL Electric said he didn’t need the money for himself or his family.

"I guess I've been fortunate enough through my career, you know, that I had, with the company that I was with, to be fortunate enough to have a good living and be able to remain to have a good living and look after my kids,” he told Reuters. “So, I don't really need the money."

His plan was to donate his winnings in honor of his wife Jan, who died in February of 2012 after a long battle with lung cancer.

“It’s very, very, very important,” he told the CBC, his voice starting to crack. “Because, you know, we lost a wife, a mom and a grandma. She beat it for a while, six years, and it finally caught up with her.”

All of which made it supremely important for Crist to donate to cancer treatment and research. “Cancer is dear to my heart because of what happened to her,” he told the CBC. “This just gives me the opportunity to give back.”

Crist delivered his first big check — $1.2 million — on Tuesday to the Alberta Cancer Foundation, which collects donations for Calgary’s Tom Baker Cancer Centre, where Jan had been treated.

He strode into the ACF office, check in hand, without any prior warning, Phoebe Dey, a spokesperson for the foundation told NBC News.

“He surprised us,” Dey said. “He said that this is phase one of his gifts and that his intention with us was to make an annual gift. He stressed that this was just the beginning and that he intended to give away all $40 million.”

Crist’s son, Dallas, told Global News Calgary that he only learned about the $40 million when his wife called after having seen a news report.

"You gotta tell a secret, that’s the one guy you tell a secret to,” Dallas told Global Calgary. “We had no idea. He didn’t change one bit. We had no clue. He is the most secretive man on the planet.”

“He’d do anything for anybody,” Dallas Crist told Gobal News Calgary. “He’d give you the shirt off his back. He’s my role model, for sure.”

The donation, Dey said, “will go to enhance care for other patients. It will help an awful lot. He told us that he had been successful in life and already had enough money to take care of his family and that this is what his wife would have wanted. He was doing it in her name.”

Though Crist acknowledges that his actions may spark generosity in others, “I’m not doing it because it’s going to inspire somebody else,” he told the CBC. “I’m doing it because that’s what my heart tells me to do.”
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Wow! While I certainly have charities that I believe in and support now, I'd be lying if I said I would donate all my lottery winnings. I don't care that he is well off, that's just an incredible gesture.

Sent from my iPhone
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Why is a CEO playing the lottery and why do lottery winners in Canada get a phone call when they won?
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

I'm asking myself the same thing in regards to the phone call.

How does the lottery know who bought the ticket unless the person who bought the tickets goes to them to claim the prize?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW View Post
    Why is a CEO playing the lottery and why do lottery winners in Canada get a phone call when they won?
    Good catch. Intriguing.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

He had a year long subscription. You play the same numbers all year and that's why he got a call.

Good for him for giving it all away.

Or there is a very happy stripper named Charity somewhere out there.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    He had a year long subscription. You play the same numbers all year and that's why he got a call.

Good for him for giving it all away.

Or there is a very happy stripper named Charity somewhere out there.
    Ha ha. "I have Hope and Faith, and those ain't the names of 2 strippers in Albuquerque" - DLR
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg