Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Family told To Keep Their Christmas “Inside The House Where It Belongs”

Newton, MA - It's a Christmas tradition on Emerson Street in Newton dating back nearly four decades, the Hunter family home with its full holiday lights display.

The holiday lights tradition was started by the late William Hunter, a former Cambridge firefighter, 37 years ago.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro...6/-/index.html

"I think dad would be really proud, that it's still going on. It's one thing that always brought him joy," said his daughter, Kristen Hunter.

The home's holiday lights have been featured over the years in the Boston Globe and Newton Tab.

This weekend, an anonymous letter arrived purportedly from a neighbor, but postmarked in Boston.

In part the letter reads, "Not everybody in your neighborhood is Christian and many people do not wish to see such a flagrant display of your beliefs."

"I couldn't believe it. We were in complete shock. If anything, we have had people come to the door and thank us," said daughter Kelly Hunter.

"I don't see the problem, you can be whatever you want to be and celebrate it. However, you want to be proud of what you are. We are not bashing anybody for being anything," said Kelly Hunter.

The letter goes on, "Imagine how you would feel to drive past an anti-Christian lawn display every day!"

"We are proud of what we do and we have had so many people stop by and thank us," said Kelly Hunter.

For some neighbors, the letter has rallied support. On Saturday night, they will gather and sing Christmas carols at the Hunter's home.

"Love it, we love it," said neighbor Rick Arnold. "Actually, I don't have to do my house because everybody looks at their house."

http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/ne...#ixzz2nkXOkkvb

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Someone parked in my spot last week and I left a note asking them to move it by 9am or it would be towed (parking is at a premium around ISU).

Where was the news crew for that?
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If the point of this story is to point out religious persecution, it fails miserably. All the homeowners do is demonstrate righteous indignation at something they should have ignored.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    If the point of this story is to point out religious persecution, it fails miserably. All the homeowners do is demonstrate righteous indignation at something they should have ignored.
    Exactly my point.

If it were me, I would have read the letter and said, "Well fuck them if they don't like our decorations." Not call a newsroom to become a martyr.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Pretty sloppy job there if you ask me. I've got dozens of neighbors with the same type of mess in their yards this time of year.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

last i checked I was Catholic and I wouldn't want a neighbour having that tacky mess polluting my street.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

It's funny, I went with my girlfriend's family this year to Utah for Thanksgiving. There's a small town where her grandparents live and you get a discount on your electric bill if you have a Christmas lights.

There's a house near me synced to holiday music. You tune to the radio station that's posted and listen as you drive by their house. The decorations dance to it. It's twice as crazy as the above photo.

About 45 minutes away several blocks get closed down at night by police because the neighborhood is famous for its lights. The homeowners even sell food and drink in their driveways. It's almost like a farmers market plus incredible Christmas setups.

I suppose I never thought 'What if that were my neighbor?'

But what if a Jewish family moved into that neighborhood? Should they be able to stop what 60+ neighbors do?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

I've got a two story lighted, inflatable crucifix that blows little crosses and rosary beads around the inside like a snow globe while Jesus's eyes flutter ... can't wait to get it up!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

The letter goes on, "Imagine how you would feel to drive past an anti-Christian lawn display every day!"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    But what if a Jewish family moved into that neighborhood? Should they be able to stop what 60+ neighbors do?
    Why should they care? Since when are Christmas decorations a declaration of hate? They are not anti-Jew, anti-Muslim, anti-anything.

So yeah, I'd probably be bugged if I drove past an "anti-Christian lawn display", but not if I drove past a Menorah or some other symbol of Hannukah that a Jewish person was using to celebrate the holiday. Fucking ludicrous people that think just because you are "for" apples that must mean you are "against" oranges.

And I don't even see a lot of religious symbolism in that display - even though it's hard to make out (that's the best picture that could be submitted?) looks like a lot of snowmen and nutcrackers and stuff like that.

But overall, yeah, probably nothing worthy of bringing the news truck out for...

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Why should they care? Since when are Christmas decorations a declaration of hate? They are not anti-Jew, anti-Muslim, anti-anything.

So yeah, I'd probably be bugged if I drove past an "anti-Christian lawn display", but not if I drove past a Menorah or some other symbol of Hannukah that a Jewish person was using to celebrate the holiday. Fucking ludicrous people that think just because you are "for" apples that must mean you are "against" oranges.

And I don't even see a lot of religious symbolism in that display - even though it's hard to make out (that's the best picture that could be submitted?) looks like a lot of snowmen and nutcrackers and stuff like that.

But overall, yeah, probably nothing worthy of bringing the news truck out for...
    I agree, though one thing about an anti-Christian display is that it should be just as protected under the first amendment as a celebratory display.

But overall I agree--unless there is some sort of code violation going on, which I doubt--this is a non-story. Whoever hates it will just have to deal with it. That's the way it goes. Living in a country with free speech means that sometimes you get offended. I wish more people would learn not to take offense at so much stuff. It just makes your life worse. It's not personal. Get over it.

That said, the news van came out, so it must have been a slow news day for them to say, "We'll be right there."

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

What I find funny is I can't find a single religious symbol involved in this display. All I see is penguins, snowmen, snowflakes, poorly hung lights, santa and reindeer, a north pole sign etc. No nativity scene, no baby Jesus, no crosses.

Now if they were offended by the tackiness that is one thing....but saying this is a showing of Christian beliefs....that is a bit of stretch.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

If it was me, I wouldn't write a letter. I'd just put a couple speakers outside and crank up the VH every night while those damn lights were on.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    Someone parked in my spot last week and I left a note asking them to move it by 9am or it would be towed (parking is at a premium around ISU).

Where was the news crew for that?
    Thank.

You.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel