Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

Default EVH Music Man - Advices are welcome

A lot of EVH Music Man guitars have been appearing on Ebay recently. Most of them are on the ~US$3000 price range (amber quilts are naturally more expensive probably because that is the one Eddie "used").

So hey, I guess there may be an old thread for this, but maybe some fellow linkers might give me some fast advice on some things about this guitar, as I'm dying to buy one (just got the money to spend on it):

(1) Oldest ones seem to be from 1993. Is there any difference between manufacturing years as there is with the Wolfgangs? (I have a pat pend and it feels very different then the later ones)

(2) Do you think the price range above is fair? Any perspectives on it going up/down on the upcoming years?

(3)... Any insights?

Any help is welcome! I already got a lot of insight from these pages!
    Thank you in advance!
    GOL Guitar!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/signaturepics/sigpic23027_7.gif[/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

The ambers are very common I sold mine not too long ago. $3,000 is way too expensive for that one.

My pink one is a 92 actually.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

I have an amber yellow one... and I love it. New they were around the $1500.00 mark if I am not mistaken. I think $3000 is a little on the high side for a yellow one. I would pay that much for a rare color like Brett mentioned, but not the yellow. Around $2000.00 i think would be a fair price.

I love mine since the day i purchased it. If you have ever played one you will know exactly what I mean. The neck feel is to die for. I don't have bug hands so the neck if very comfortable for me. If you have big hands, try one first before you buy. The neck is tiny.

The pickups are amazing. Highly sought out. They were Dimarzio and has such a sweet sound.

You will not be disappointed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Think I sold mine for 2200.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

I've owned a few ebmm's over the years and sold a few as well. Right now I have 2 evh ebmm's and I bought them both this year for 2K a piece. One is an Amber quilt and the other is a blue quilt. The Amber is a 93 and the blue is a 95 and they both are 9 out of 10. You can find them way cheaper than 3k just keep your eyes peeled on the bay and this list. There is a purple one on th bay now in real good shape. I love both of mine. I've been toying with selling my blue one for a purple though. I would highly recommend the evh music mans. Wonderful playing and looking axes.

Rob
    Last edited by 5150rob; 12.16.13 at 04:19 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning-1984-F.U.C.K
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

Do you want the EVH EBMM or could you go with the EBMM Axis? I have both and I love the Axis more because of the position of the selector switch and the contour on the back of the guitar. It just feels more comfortable to me.

If you're wanting the EVH for the sake of having it then don't buy the Axis because you'll still want the EVH version...that's how I ended up with both. G.A.S is a Biotch...haha.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

I've never read anything before about a quality difference between first year EBMM's and last year models or any in between, I'm not saying there isn't one, I just haven't read anything. I've played a few back in the day, but only for a short time as they were hanging in guitar shops. I've owned mine for almost 20yrs and it is still AMAZING!!!. It's a '94 and feels like all the other ones I played back when.

It still trips me out when I read how much they were in the US when they were on the shelves there. $1300US..... Mine cost me $3395AUD, brand new in early '95.

Is it Doug here who owns about 30 of them??? Maybe he can tell you more about them....
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't own a musicman EVH but I've never read anyone say there are discrepancies in the years produced, they seem very consistent. The axis is a great alternative but it depends how authentic you want it to the original.

You said your pat pending wolfgang differs from the later models, just curious, how so?

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by drolaw View Post
    Do you want the EVH EBMM or could you go with the EBMM Axis? I have both and I love the Axis more because of the position of the selector switch and the contour on the back of the guitar. It just feels more comfortable to me.

If you're wanting the EVH for the sake of having it then don't buy the Axis because you'll still want the EVH version...that's how I ended up with both. G.A.S is a Biotch...haha.
    Exactly!

No Axis for me
    GOL Guitar!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/signaturepics/sigpic23027_7.gif[/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by guitargoalie View Post
    I don't own a musicman EVH but I've never read anyone say there are discrepancies in the years produced, they seem very consistent. The axis is a great alternative but it depends how authentic you want it to the original.

You said your pat pending wolfgang differs from the later models, just curious, how so?
    Just never had a problem with my pat pend. It is an almost 20 year-old guitar and I never had to take it to a tech, the floyd and the d-tuna are still working like new, etc.

Some people complain about the high E going out of tune on the pat pends, but I really don't notice this either!
    GOL Guitar!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

The EBMM EVH is ABSOLUTELY the best guitar I have ever played, period.

Like CPU, I also have smaller hands, and the neck fits my hand perfectly. As does the body size, weight, and balance. It's just the perfect guitar for me.

Manufacturing differences through the years?

As far as I know there were NONE. Ernie Ball was ridiculously consistent with the EVH's from '92-'97. The only change that I know of is that Ernie Ball resolved the dye issues (UV fading) in late 1995, so the finishes on the last two years' runs of guitars have held up better than the earlier ones.

Right now, $3000 is too high. You can still find EBMMs out there in the $2000-2500 range. Just be patient, they'll show up.

If you are getting an EBMM because it's an EVH model, for your collection, or as a bedroom/basement player, then by all means, be patient and get exactly what you want.

However, if you plan on gigging with it regularly, think about this:

Outside of the pickup switch selector switch location and the back contour, the only other difference between an EBMM and an Axis are the pickups. To my ears, the Axis pickups are just not quite as hot...but they also seem to be a little more rounded out. But they are VERY close.

So, if you are going to gig with it, why not think about finding TWO Axis for less than the price of ONE EBMM?

That way, you either have A) a gigging guitar along with a backup, or B) a gigging guitar and you still have a nice guitar you can leave at home.

...just something to think about.

All that being said about the Axis, my next major guitar purchase will still be another EVH, either faded black or green.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GOLATTARI View Post
    Exactly!

No Axis for me

Somehow, I missed this comment...so the second half of my post above is irrelevant.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargoalie View Post

Well, my Pat. Pending Archtop Wolfgang has a much more of a rolled edge in the finger board. Neck always felt like it got more gunstocks oil on it. Very smooth. I prefer that neck to my other two Archtops, as well as the 6 or so others I've tried. And mine doesn't have a maple top. It's black. I assumed they all had maple tops. Nope. As a result it sounds different. Or maybe the pickup is different. Less fizzy than my other two. Again, I think it sounds better.

My favorite guitar is my Axis. Great neck, great pickups. And super close to the EVH EBMM. But I want an EVH.

I stalked EBMM EVH models for over a year. I found the cheapest, and most expensive place was GC. Nationwide search in the used section. My plan was to ship to my local store to play it and be sure it was a good one. But then I saw Eddy with the new USA Wolfgang Stealth. Bout that instead.

Axis is still my favorite.

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Yup I agree. The MM just felt better to me than the PAT wolfgang. I always find that the its the neck that sells me on a guitar. If the neck is rockin, then I take her home. The first time I played my MM, I said this baby is mine. I got mine in 93 at a local music shop. It was on consignment because the seller wanted to get a purple one. I snatched that thing right up and never looked back. I will admit that I don;t bring her out of storage nearly enough to appreciate her again.

I want to think that the neck wasn't the same as the Axis. I seem to remember playing one and it felt different. I may be wrong, if so please correct me.

If you get one to play at home, then definitely get the EVH MM, otherwise just get the Sterling to gig with. The neck is not the same but the look is spot on. Guys, please don't blast me for saying that but I would not take a high end guitar to a gig(I don't play in a band) but I know that the scumbags out there will try to jack it. I have no problem losing 300-400, but 1500 and up... well you get my drift.

the production number were so low each year of the EVH model that it makes it worth the wait.

Peace

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I've had three of the EBMM EVHs and two Axes (Axis plural?). The first EVH was an amber one in perfect condition I bought used in 1993 for $900 in a music store in Philly.

A few yrs. later I got one at the GC in Hollywood for $1800 and it was one of the really faded purple ones that had turned a brownish grey. Still had a killer quilt. So I then sold my amber one to a buddy in Germany for $1800 and he still has it. I played it last year when I visited him and he'll never sell it without giving me first dibs.

I then found a guy in TX who wanted my faded one and $200 for his blue one. I've had the blue one since about 1998 and it's my prized possession. I think I like it more than my Porsche I've had almost as long.

I then got a pink Axis Tribute, which is awesome, but the neck has a rougher finish on it than the blue EVH has. The EVH has some kind of oil or finish on the back of the neck, while the Axis truly feels like bare wood with nothing else on it.

I don't notice a difference in sounds. The bridges are definitely different, as the Axis arm just pops in and has a much greater angle to it than the EVH arm, which is held in my a bolt clamp.

FWIW, I was at the GC in Hollywood a few weeks ago and they had a red EVH there for $1800, but it was in rough shape. I haven't seen too many of them in public the last 15 yrs.