Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:17 AM
    Liked 11,775 Times in 6,522 Posts

Premium Member

Default Widow Faces Eviction In Fla. City For 'Living Off The Grid'

City to evict woman for living "off the grid"

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - It was just a matter of time before the City of Cape Coral caught up with her. We first told you about Robin Speronis last month... and her alternative lifestyle, called Living Off the Grid. She lives without running water or electricity -- by choice. But her off-the-grid home is now on the radar of Cape Coral code enforcement. 

"I'm going to bring this to the attention of anyone who will listen until justice is served," Robin Speronis tells 4 In Your Corner's Liza Fernandez as both sit outside her home.

And Speronis says -- what the City of Cape Coral did the day after the story about her "Off the Grid" lifestyle aired in November is -- unjust.

"A code enforcement officer came, knocked on the door then posts a placard that says uninhabitable property, do not enter," says Robin as she reads the sign. 

A Cape Coral code enforcement officer posted a "notice to vacate" one day after our story aired.

"Putting a woman who lives by herself, who is a widow, out on the street without any due process of law is unfathomable," says the outgraged homeowner.   

The notice cites international property maintenance code and states the property is unsafe to be lived in, but Robin wonders how code enforcement would know without ever having been inside the home. 

The city code compliance manager tells 4 In Your Corner he tagged the home because it doesn't have running water or electrcity, although neither modern comfort is mentioned as a requirement in the code cited by the city on the notice.  

While Robin won't say whether she's been living in the home since the notice was posted, she does say the city is overreaching and threatening to take away her home -- which she owns free and clear with taxes up to date.

"Where is the justice? Why did they choose me," she asks. "…because I was exercising my First Amendment rights of free speech in discussing living off the grid."

A local attorney has since agreed to take on Robin's case for free. And the city says if she can prove she can sustain herself and her home without water or electricty both parties might be able to come to a solution.

http://www.fox4now.com/features/4iny...235494961.html
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:50 AM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

very strange case. Certainly not the way I'd want to live but can't imagine how the public is harmed by what she is doing. Seems like the city is reaching on this to me.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    very strange case. Certainly not the way I'd want to live but can't imagine how the public is harmed by what she is doing. Seems like the city is reaching on this to me.
    Another case of people trying to tell other people how to live.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

She lives in the house alone, and therefore her decision to live off the grid with no electricity and no running water has zero implications on anyone else.

Therefore, it is no one's business but hers. We need to get to the point in this country in which our laws reflect the premise "was anyone or anything hurt?" If the answer is no, we need to move on to more important items.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:17 AM
    Liked 11,775 Times in 6,522 Posts

Premium Member

I'd like to know more about this "international property maintenance code".
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

well, the EPA will not be satisfied until it rains chlorinated water

I would especially think that having this off the grid option would lower ones impact on a city and so why wouldn't it be in the best interests of a hurricane prone city to have citizens who can live independently?

solar energy is a viable option in the south, and collection of rainwater is a time honored and proven method of decreasing dependency on public utilities.

cities always claim that their public utilities are not money making propositions, but I expect that this proves that is not true.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

"How can we monitor you if you're not plugged in?"

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I'd like to know more about this "international property maintenance code".
    http://www.iccsafe.org/gr/Pages/FL.aspx
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    She lives in the house alone, and therefore her decision to live off the grid with no electricity and no running water has zero implications on anyone else.

Therefore, it is no one's business but hers. We need to get to the point in this country in which our laws reflect the premise "was anyone or anything hurt?" If the answer is no, we need to move on to more important items.
    Everyone has to be a do-gooder and "save" everyone else now. Save them from themselves apparently.

You would think people would wake up and understand that this logic is part of the reason this country is turning into a bigger joke.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw