Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Federal Judge: Mt. Soledad Cross Must Come Down

A cross atop Mount Soledad in California is an unconstitutional religious display on government land and must come down, a federal judge in San Diego ruled late Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Larry Burns ordered the cross, which honors veterans, must be removed within 90 days -- a decision that could result in the case being sent back to the U.S. Supreme Court. Burns immediately stayed his order pending an expected appeal.

The original lawsuit was filed in 2006 by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of the Jewish Veterans of the United States of American and several other Southern California residents.

“We support the government paying tribute to those who served bravely in our country’s armed forces,” the ACLU’s Daniel Mach, said in a statement to the San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper. “But we should honor all of our heroes under one flag, not just one particular religious symbol.”

Bruce Bailey, president of the Mt. Soledad Memorial Association, expressed disappointment in the ruling.

"It is unfortunate that the Ninth Circuit left the judge no choice but to order the tearing down of the Mt. Soledad Veterans Memorial Cross," Bailey told Fox News. "However, we are grateful for the judge's stay that gives us an opportunity to fight this all the way to the Supreme Court."

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for Liberty Institute, said in a statement to Fox News that they will continue to “fight for this memorial and the selfless sacrifice and service of all the millions of veterans it represents; it is the least we can do for those who gave so much to us all."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The Judge was appointed by George W. Bush and confirmed by the United States Senate on September 24, 2003 by a vote of 91-0....
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

“We support the government paying tribute to those who served bravely in our country’s armed forces,” the ACLU’s Daniel Mach, said in a statement to the San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper. “But we should honor all of our heroes under one flag, not just one particular religious symbol.”
    Then put up a Festivus pole next to it, you fuckin' goober!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The Judge was appointed by George W. Bush and confirmed by the United States Senate on September 24, 2003 by a vote of 91-0....
    Same guy who appointed Justice Roberts too.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Oh fuck, don't tell FORD..........
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

I guess only Canadians are permitted to install crosses to honor American military service on US Federal property?

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/vis...dianCross.aspx

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Even as an atheist, I don't understand this at all.

How is a cross on federal property honoring veterans establishing a religion or prohibiting someone's free exercise of their religion?

Guess what? There's a cross on Mount Soledad. I'm not in jail, nor am I forced to become a Christian.

Where's the problem? And who are these people that are offended at the mere sight of a symbol of another religion? Fuck them. Said it once, said it a million times. Living in a country with the first amendment that we have mean sometimes you're going to get offended. Learn to deal with it or how about this--try not being such a tight ass and getting so offended at the smallest little thing.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 12.17.13 at 06:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Been up to Soledad several times. If you're visiting here, it's a must see, spectacular views of ocean/San Diego. I guess we'll see what eventually happens here, the war plaques honoring veterans at the memorial is quite impressive. Not sure what is so threatening about the cross.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Even as an atheist, I don't understand this at all.

How is a cross on federal property honoring veterans establishing a religion or prohibiting someone's free exercise of their religion?

Guess what? There's a cross on Mount Soledad. I'm not in jail, nor am I forced to become a Christian.

Where's the problem? And who are these people that are offended at the mere sight of a symbol of another religion? Fuck them. Said it once, said it a million times. Living in a country with the first amendment that we have mean sometimes you're going to get offended. Learn to deal with it or how about this--try not being such a tight ass and getting so offended at the smallest little thing.
    Thanks for that post -

Myself being Christian, if someone wanted to put a statue of Zeus on government property, I couldn't care less as I don't see the
    value of having anxiety over something that, in my mind, doesn't even exist. I have enough to deal with in everyday-life than to squander my
    peace of mind over something which I believe is not real.

Why should the Atheist (and I say that generally speaking because it appears that they are the majority of who these
    types of lawsuits are linked with) give a single crap over something which they 'say' doesn't even exist in the first place?

My director who is atheist, knowing my beliefs, was discussing with me that although he doesn't believe God exists, doesn't go around tearing down
    every cross or religious symbol he sees, why? - because he has no desire to waste a single ounce of his already precious energy into something which
    he believes is not real.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 6,671 Times in 3,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
    Thanks for that post -

Myself being Christian, if someone wanted to put a statue of Zeus on government property, I couldn't care less as I don't see the
    value of having anxiety over something that, in my mind, doesn't even exist. I have enough to deal with in everyday-life than to squander my
    peace of mind over something which I believe is not real.

Why should the Atheist (and I say that generally speaking because it appears that they are the majority of who these
    types of lawsuits are linked with) give a single crap over something which they 'say' doesn't even exist in the first place?

My director who is atheist, knowing my beliefs, was discussing with me that although he doesn't believe God exists, doesn't go around tearing down
    every cross or religious symbol he sees, why? - because he has no desire to waste a single ounce of his already precious energy into something which
    he believes is not real.
    If a Muslim group chose to build something on public land there would be no shortage of Christians screaming. This isn't an atheist thing, its a ball-busting thing.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    If a Muslim group chose to build something on public land there would be no shortage of Christians screaming. This isn't an atheist thing, its a ball-busting thing.
    Can't say I would be screaming, but I would say the sword cuts both ways.

What I would like to see is a sort of 'grandfather' law enacted by which if something has been in a certain location for 'x' amount of years, then deal with it. However, any religious symbol cannot be placed on Federal property hence forth.

Thoughts?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
    Can't say I would be screaming, but I would say the sword cuts both ways.

What I would like to see is a sort of 'grandfather' law enacted by which if something has been in a certain location for 'x' amount of years, then deal with it. However, any religious symbol cannot be placed on Federal property hence forth.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are it's rather convenient for a christian to have that policy.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

To me, true atheists don't give a fuck. There absolutely is a Church of Atheism emerging. They recruit, want money, and meet regularly. They're turning non-belief into a religion of its own.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    To me, true atheists don't give a fuck. There absolutely is a Church of Atheism emerging. They recruit, want money, and meet regularly. They're turning non-belief into a religion of its own.
    the world be a much better place if more people didn't give a fuck about stuff like this.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    My thoughts are it's rather convenient for a christian to have that policy.
    I actually find it convenient for dealing with all vindictive chip-on-shoulder individuals.

Again, if there was a crescent moon on Gov. property, I wouldn't care less.