Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

teen victim of "affuenza" get 10 years probation after killing four, driving drunk...

To families of the victims, Ethan Couch was a killer on the road, a drunken teenage driver who caused a crash that left four people dead.

To the defense, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affuenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.

To a judge, who sentenced Couch to 10 years' probation but no jail time, he's a defendant in need of treatment.

The decision disappointed prosecutors and stunned victims' family members, who say they feel that Couch got off too easy. Prosecutors had asked for the maximum of 20 years behind bars.

"Let's face it ... There needs to be some justice here," Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter, told CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 on Wednesday night.

"For 25 weeks, I've been going through a healing process. And so when the verdict came out, I mean, my immediate reaction is -- I'm back to Week 1. We have accomplished nothing here. My healing process is out the window," he said.

Lawyers for Couch, 16, had argued that the teen's parents should share a part of the blame for the crash because they never set limits for the boy and gave him everything he wanted.

According to CNN affiliate WFAA, a psychologist called by the defense described Couch as a product of "affluenza."

He reportedly testified that the teen's family felt wealth bought privilege, and that Couch's life could be turned around with one to two years of treatment and no contact with his parents.

Couch was sentenced by a juvenile court judge on Tuesday. If he violates the terms of his probation, he could face up to 10 years of incarceration, according to a statement from the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney's Office.

Judge Jean Boyd told the court she would not release Couch to his parents, but would work to find the teen a long-term treatment facility.

"There are absolutely no consequences for what occurred that day," said Boyles. "The primary message has to absolutely be that money and privilege can't buy justice in this country."

His wife, Hollie Boyles, and daughter, Shelby, left their home to help Breanna Mitchell, whose SUV had broken down. Brian Jennings, a youth pastor, was driving past and also stopped to help.

All four were killed when the teen's pickup plowed into the pedestrians. Couch's vehicle also struck a parked car, which then slid into another vehicle driving in the opposite direction.

Two people riding in the bed of the teen's pickup were tossed in the crash and severely injured.

One is no longer able to move or talk because of a brain injury, while the other suffered internal injuries and broken bones.

"There is nothing the judge could have done to lessen the suffering for any of those families," said defense attorney Scott Brown, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

"(The judge) fashioned a sentence that is going to keep Ethan under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he said. "And if Ethan doesn't do what he's supposed to do, if he has one misstep at all, then this judge, or an adult judge when he's transferred, can then incarcerate him."

Earlier on the night of the accident, June 15, Couch and some friends had stolen beer from a local Wal-Mart. Three hours after the crash, tests showed he had a blood alcohol content of 0.24, three times the legal limit, according to the district attorney's office.

"We are disappointed by the punishment assessed but have no power under the law to change or overturn it," said Assistant District Attorney Richard Alpert. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and we regret that this outcome has added to the pain and suffering they have endured."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hes-rich.html

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Defen...235288101.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

my family is going thru something very similar. The guy who killed my nephew was going on his third DUI (his first DUI was underage as well) and had just gotten his license back, upon which the family immediately got him behind the wheel of a new car. 45 days later, he killed my nephew. The family hired the most high profile criminal defense attorney in Tampa and had the guy home on bond within days. He lived at his mothers million dollar lake front home with his friends and finished his college degree. The day after graduation he left home confinement without permission and the last evidence of him was the finding of his ankle monitor and cell phone at his fathers house a couple of miles away. The parents went to the bondsman and paid off the bond so that "bounty hunters" would not be looking for there son

We never even got to court, at least not beyond arraignment or pre trials and never saw justice done for my nephew.

some families really do believe that money buys everything and there are no consequences as long as you have the money for the pay off

I feel so sad for this innocent family, because I know what that pain feels like.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Story's all over CNN. Outrageous. Don't know what else to say, thoughts go out to the families who lost loved ones.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

I really hope that the prosecution appeals the sentence as it is so obviously out of the guidelines for sentencing

maybe it's a good thing that the judge went so far in the other way as to be obvious in her bias....perhaps that is what is needed to appeal the sentence

if she had given him 2 years in juvie, that might not have been enough to appeal, but no confinement at all for killing 4 people and injuring 9 others? way too far out of what would be acceptable

wonder what that judge's kids are like?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

He's to have no contact with his parents for a year, I believe. But I dont see that as a punishment but a reward. His parents make out too.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Our drunk driving laws need to be reassessed as I have argued for a while on here.

Driving 70 in a 40mph zone and killing people after stealing stuff and having prescription drugs in your system should be enough to get some sort of sentence, even if it is just manslaughter.

Then add the boozing and it it seems like a no-brainer.

But the way we have things set up, if a guy had 2 or so drinks, went home on an empty street, rolled through a stop sign, got pulled over and blew a .083, that guy is getting a punishment much more severe than someone going 70 in a 40mph zone, even though the latter driver is much more likely to kill someone.

Even if you were to be arrested for reckless driving in Texas, you get up to 30 days in jail, pay $200 fine (you probably would not get jail time). Most likely it would get plead down. The guy rolling through the stop sign would get a night in jail at minimum, pay a $2,000 fine, have to pay for an alcohol addiction class, and get their license suspend at minimum for 90 days.

Ironically, this kid's defense and subsequent sentence maintain the status quo for him. At 16, I am not sure his life needs to be ruined where he is 36 when he gets out of prison. But his defense is precisely why she should serve some time.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

But I don't think this is a drunk driving law issue. I think if you or I did the same as this guy, we'd be in jail now. This is just a "what the fuck?" issue. The guy broke the law (several of them, to be exact) and he's not being penalized. How is that even possible?

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    But I don't think this is a drunk driving law issue. I think if you or I did the same as this guy, we'd be in jail now. This is just a "what the fuck?" issue. The guy broke the law (several of them, to be exact) and he's not being penalized. How is that even possible?
    My point was both that A) drunk driving enforcement as is is bad and B) this kid should go to jail even if he were not drunk.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

your dislike of drunk driving laws is well documented, but I think trying to bring that fight up here is misguided.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

all i know is that it is a crazy fucking world where a 6 year old kid can be accused of sexual harassment for kissing a classmate on the hand and 16 year old gets to go free after killing 4 people, paralyzing 2 others and injuring 7 others because the defense of "coddling"

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    your dislike of drunk driving laws is well documented, but I think trying to bring that fight up here is misguided.

TX is the worst state in the nation for DWI injuries and fatalities. Yet while this story is garnering national attention, TX has a big problem in letting those convicted of intoxication manslaughter get off with probation. 40% of all convicted of this in Dallas County, for example, get probation only. Last year, a guy in Midland County, TX, got the same sentence--10 years probation.

This kid could have gotten 80 years max, eight years minimum if convicted of all four counts. To get probation, though, you need only serve 120 days. I'm guessing he got credit for time served.

These people are supposed to serve time if they violate probation, but TX judges tend to accept pleas down or assign probation again on the second offense, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Meanwhile, TX has been busy being at the forefront of creating a new crime--driving with a blood alcohol level of .05-.07. This was spearheaded by the sheriff in Austin, who gathered support in the TX legislature. He had only one problem with the .08 level: it didn't allow him to arrest people who were even less of a threat. Luckily it hasn't gone anywhere.

When the federal safety board recently recommended dropping the DUI blood-alcohol level down to .05, TX was one of the few areas that supported it, including the sheriff of Dallas County, where you can kill people while driving drunk and have a good chance of not serving time. Nationally, MADD was against it. But the only reason the TX chapter was unsure about the change was that it would take too long to implement. Otherwise, they liked the .05 idea.

So I think there is relevance here. TX has a huge problem with DUI injuries and fatalities, yet they have a nasty habit of not sending you to jail when you kill someone while doing it. Their solution? It seems to be lowering the blood-alcohol limit.

This goes right to the heart of my issues.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

My province has the same policies and the same problems. As time goes on i'm siding with you more and more.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

So if someone can get off for an obvious crime due to being so rich and spoiled that they didn't know any better, can someone who is poor get the same treatment? After all, we hear all the time that inner-city crime "is a way of life" and that these people don't know any better.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    So if someone can get off for an obvious crime due to being so rich and spoiled that they didn't know any better, can someone who is poor get the same treatment? After all, we hear all the time that inner-city crime "is a way of life" and that these people don't know any better.
    My gf, an incredibly smart woman, made this exact point yesterday. If you're poor, have no family, and no real direction in life, especially of wrong and right, then what is the difference?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton