Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Guitar building

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.02.14 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Default Guitar building

Have any of you built a guitar? Iím curious to hear your experiences.

Iíve assembled three, usually with some help. Every time I buy parts, even from the same place (so they know theyíre going together and should not screw it up), thereís something up with the parts. For example, my 3rd one, they cut the nut too low and it needed three shims to raise it. I didnít know how off it was (I could just tell it wasnít right) or have the shims, so I took it to a pro, who fixed that and then re-did my setup.

If youíve never built one and always wanted to, I have a video showing how easy most of it is:

Rand
    Visit instrumental guitarist Randy Ellefson's official site for free mp3s, videos, lessons, tab and other cool stuff.

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

The biggest issue putting me off building one from scratch is the tools- the wood and hardware costs as it is but the tools are outlandish! It's not a matter of going to the local hardware shop and buying a cheapo router because that instantly garantees a poor result- it has to be quality from the word go. I know it's a 'one off' expense but it's still a lot.
    If I had access to the tools I'd definately give it a go though.
    Then there's the paint- frankenstyle or mirror finish- you need to be an expert in all these areas to make it worthwhile.
    I know this all sounds negative but I've considered it plenty over the las 35 years and I always end up buying a ready made instead.
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.02.14 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

I've always just bought the parts rather than do it the "hard way" as you're suggesting. I couldn't make a box to save my life back in school so I know better than to try fashioning a body or neck from wood!
    Visit instrumental guitarist Randy Ellefson's official site for free mp3s, videos, lessons, tab and other cool stuff.

Last Online

I'm the same- I'll put things together and do minor work but that's it. There is enough in depth information available to get a good result but I suffer from ' instant gratification syndrome'- I wouldn't have the patience.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Ya I'm more into "project" guitars
    Still some good work and creativity involved
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey guys, Im looking to put together a guitar and I need a custom built body. I know there are a few builders on here which is why Im posting here. Im looking for an Alder strat body in the 125-160 price range. If you can do this, please PM me and Ill give further details.

Thanks

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH!! View Post
    Hey guys, Im looking to put together a guitar and I need a custom built body. I know there are a few builders on here which is why Im posting here. Im looking for an Alder strat body in the 125-160 price range. If you can do this, please PM me and Ill give further details.

Thanks
    Wouldn't you find one second hand in that price range?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDFA5150 View Post
    Wouldn't you find one second hand in that price range?
    No, because Im putting a Kahler on it and I want 3 humbuckers, so it is a hard find used. Id also have to sand and refinish it how I want it, so new seems like a better idea

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH!! View Post

Thanks
    You are going to have a hard time finding a completely custom designed/built body for that price. I'd expect $250-300 is more realistic. Even if you are buying from a builder with a CNC machine, the one-time setup and programming fee is gonna bring the overall price of the body up into that range easily.

Now, if you want a generic/pre-existing (non-custom) body shape, but with custom cut controls, pickup config, and bridge, that might be doable in that price range. Check out KNE Guitars and see if they offer the body outline you want, and then contact them to customize the routes for the pickups and bridge as needed... I think you'll find that option within your general ballpark.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    You are going to have a hard time finding a completely custom designed/built body for that price. I'd expect $250-300 is more realistic. Even if you are buying from a builder with a CNC machine, the one-time setup and programming fee is gonna bring the overall price of the body up into that range easily.

Now, if you want a generic/pre-existing (non-custom) body shape, but with custom cut controls, pickup config, and bridge, that might be doable in that price range. Check out KNE Guitars and see if they offer the body outline you want, and then contact them to customize the routes for the pickups and bridge as needed... I think you'll find that option within your general ballpark.
    Thanks! I just want a normal strat shape with custom routing for pickups and bridge