Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

11.13.14 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Sent my Fender Wolfgang back today for refund

MAJOR bummed… so disappointed.

The high E string sets way too close to the edge of the fretboard and theres just no fixing it. I took it to two different guitar techs in my area (one an hour away actually) and both said "send it back". Sometimes a tweak can fix this but not when they're this bad. Resetting the neck, as one tech said, would be dumb and would only cause the issue to move up to the low E string so… As he put it "This is bad. Send it back."

I got so lucky though. I bought this new from zZounds and they have a 30 day money back policy (like most) HOWEVER, I bought this on Oct 21. So, my 30 days ran out a couple of weeks ago. The reason I didn't immediately send it back was two fold; one, I left out of town the day after I received it and was gone for 17 days and two, I wanted so bad to convince myself that I could "deal" with it and/or get it fixed along with being super swamped with work equaled me really screwing up and going past the deadline of returning it.

I went to zZounds site just to see if there was any hope and how the warranty might help and they recently (Nov 15) extended their return policy to 45 days.

So, I called them, spoke to a SUPER cool guy who said "You know what? We're going to make an exception and let you return the guitar for a full, 100% refund!" Because even though they extended the return time it had to be for all purchases made on or after November 15 so I REALLY appreciated what they did for me. They didn't EVEN have to do this so I think zZounds is a pretty damn cool place to shop!

Anyways, its been boxed up and shipped back. They sent me a prepaid shipping label for UPS and its on its way back to them.

I will NOT be replacing with another China made Wolfgang Special. Doing a Google search has shown me that this is somewhat common to have this high E on the edge of the fretboard issue on these guitars so I won't mess with it.

I have decided that I am actually going to get two new guitars (couldn't decide between the two so since I am getting a gigantic retainer from one of my clients I am getting BOTH!)

The Ibanez JEM 7V and the Ibanez JS2410. Steve Vai and Joe Satriani models! I am super excited too!

I am getting them from a local mom & pop guitar shop and not the jerks at Guitar Center. They're rude there IMO. I've spent literally over $30K+ at GC over the last 10 years and they still treat me like "WTH do you want?" every time I go there.

So I found a great place about an hours drive and they're ordering both Ibanez guitars for me and will set them up and if i'm not 100% pleased, no problem! I get another one or my money back! Whatever I want. They are really wanting business and have been around since the 1970's and so they aim to please their customers.

No more buying high dollar guitars online again. I got lucky this time thats thanks to the kind folks at zZounds for bending the rules for me! $1400 for a screwed up guitar isn't cool. I wonder why Fender doesn't get this issue taken care of? Like I said, a Google search shows that it's pretty bad. I even tried a Japanese Fender Wolfgang that the ma & pa shop had in stock and it was WORSE than mine! The owner was like "Holy cow! I'm sending this back!"

Oh, I am getting the Fender Stripped white/Black EVH guitar for Christmas : ) So I still will have my Eddie axe! Just hope the high E is okay. lol

Rock on!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Sorry about your experience. I think the key is, don't buy it unless you can play it. That's always been my feeling, whether it's ebay or Musicians Friend or whatever. Unless I've held the guitar in my hand and played it, I can't bring myself to buy it. I've just had it happen too many times where I've played a $2000 Les Paul that played like crap, or a $200 Squier Strat that plays like a dream.

I picked up my Chinese Wolfgang Special specifically because I played it. I tried to talk myself out of liking it because it was M.I.C., but couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. I'm not at all surprised that quality control can vary on the overseas produced line though. If you want a Wolfgang Special, just find one in a brick and mortar store that you like. It's a great guitar if it's done right. It's my main axe.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thats some great solid advice and I agree man! If it were not for the high E issue I would have kept it and been super happy.

Its funny you mention playing a $200 Squier Strat that played like a dream because about two years ago I went into a music shop and picked up a Squier Strat and…it is one of the best playing guitars I have ever played! I swear! I bought it for $100. Its a tobacco sunburst finish with a satin like maple neck and MAN does it play awesome! It sounds pretty weak because of the lame electronics in it but thats an easy fix which I plan on doing soon. Throw in some cool pick ups and i'll be jamming'!

So yeah, play first!

Last Online

As long as the bones of a guitar are good, that's what matters. I just picked up a '93 MIM Squier strat for $175. The important stuff is there. Solid Alder body at U.S. spec thickness, and a great feeling neck. Everything else can be changed.

I'm installing a set of American Standard Strat pickups, and changing out the sustain block with a brass one. I'm also installing a set of Graphtech saddles. After Christmas, I'll be changing out the tuners with U.S. Fender tuners. When all is said and done, it will be a great sounding workhorse guitar.

I think a lot of players miss out on some great instruments because of gear snobbery. They see the word "Squier" on the headstock and don't touch it because they assume it's crap. After you do a little research, you discover that the early 90's MIM Squiers bones are solid, and they skimped on hardware and electronics. The later Squiers skimped on build quality and wood.

Anyway, I care less about what my guitar's headstock says, and more about how it feels in my hands, and how it sounds through my amp.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Sorry about your experience. I think the key is, don't buy it unless you can play it. That's always been my feeling, whether it's ebay or Musicians Friend or whatever. Unless I've held the guitar in my hand and played it, I can't bring myself to buy it. I've just had it happen too many times where I've played a $2000 Les Paul that played like crap, or a $200 Squier Strat that plays like a dream.

I picked up my Chinese Wolfgang Special specifically because I played it. I tried to talk myself out of liking it because it was M.I.C., but couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. I'm not at all surprised that quality control can vary on the overseas produced line though. If you want a Wolfgang Special, just find one in a brick and mortar store that you like. It's a great guitar if it's done right. It's my main axe.
    That's great advice. I've been burned before too, and vowed to NEVER order a complete guitar online however sexy it is in pics.
    One the other hand, buying parts...No problem as long as you know what you're looking for, and have done your homework with reviews from various sources. Hell...Even most stores rarely have a guitar set up the way I like, but at least you can visually and physically check it out to see what you're up against, and what it needs.
    sorry about your experience though man. When that shit happens, it's a bad feeling.
    Glad for you though on the two new guitars! Hope they get that bad taste outta your mouth!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah I am real excited about the two Ibanez guitars! And, I still may get a Wolfgang just USA version. Im not crazy about the Muscle Car Orange on the JS 2410 but…i'll get used to it I guess. lol

I know for sure too that i'll be getting the "Stripped" model Fender. Wither White/Black or Black/Yellow.

I got really lucky because my main client ( I freelance design) opted (their idea actually) to pay me upfront for the entire 2014 years worth of work! Thats about $40K and thats just one of my clients so I am going to put back a large chunk for Uncle Sam and get a few nice things for the house and wife and then it's GEAR CITY! HAHA!

I'm looking into the Joe Satriani Marshall Signature Head as well with the 4x12 cabinet. I recently bought that 5150 III Combo amp and a Vox AC30 ( I LOVE the Edge from U2) and a Fender Blues Jr NOS amp and have been having so much fun. Also bout a huge Pedaltrain board with power supply and a bunch of pedals. Eventide Timefactor, Eventide Space, Eventide Pitchfactor and all of the EVH stomp boxes. I got the 35 anniversary models (waste of money) but they are cool though!

I love the 5150 III 50 W Combo amp but that Marshall REALLY sounds awesome!

2014 should be a good year. Just have to remember not to go too crazy with my purchases and all wok be well

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.20.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately this does not happen with only the less expensive off shore guitars. I had the exact same issue on a USA Made Jackson Soloist. I ordered the guitar after playing one at the local Long & McQuade here in Toronto. I had to put down $1,000 deposit and wait months. It was not a custom shop order but they did not have the exact model and colour so I ordered it. After months I got the guitar and it was beautiful. I was so excited. After playing it for a few hours I noticed the high E was almost off the fret board at the 24th fret. The soloist is a neck through design so there was absolutely no adjustments that could be done. The CNC machine must have been off and routed the floyd in the wrong spot. L&M was awesome, they took one look and sent it back. Waited another few months, replacement came. This time there was a flaw in the finish. L&M did not even let me take it home. They sent it back. 3rd time was the charm. I love my soloist now, but now always look for the neck alignment before buying any guitar. The USA JAckson cost me almost $2,400 at the time.

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

That's really a pity-
    I have an original esp the mirage deluxe lawsuit model I was planning to swap or sell to get one of these- now I'm not so sure.
    It's true about brand snobbery though- I picked up a 50th anniversary squire for $100 a while back- dropped a paf and a floyd copy in it and it's one of the best I've got!
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I stole my EVH MIJ Wolf Spec. with OHSC for $499 at the GC and it was new! 10 days later the head stock started cracking near the Floyd nut bolts. GC said Fender would take care of it. A few weeks later they confirmed Fender had ok'ed warranty replacement of the neck. The next day they backtracked and said Fender said it was due to damage and not materials or workmanship. I did not bump or drop the guitar AT ALL. It looks new in every way. But GC said they could repair it and they did a great job. Can't notice it at all and it plays fine. But I do kind of dislike the high E being so close to the edge. I was able to adjust it a little, but I don't think it's enough. Too late to return now. I got it so cheap, no one will feel sorry for me.

Last Online

I'm just gonna put this out there about the high E string. I've owned a few Wolfgangs. I've had 3 Peavey Standards, 2 Peavey Specials, 1 Peavey Flametop Special and 1 Peavey Quilt Top Special. Needless to say, I've got a lot of experience with setting these guitars up.

One thing that I noticed happened with all of them was the neck would shift in the neck pocket, causing the high E string to be closer to the edge of the fretboard. Basically, the neck screws would loosen enough to allow the neck to shift slightly down. About once a week, I would set the bottom of the neck on my leg, and push down really hard on the upper bout of the body to see if it moved. Every now and then, you could feel it pop up a bit. If it did, I would just tighten the neck screws when done.

I think what causes it is the fact that the unfinished neck is more sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, causing the wood to expand and contract, loosening the screws.

I would recommend if you notice your high E too close to the bottom of the neck, before you panic, you may want to try that. You may have to back the neck screws off about a quarter turn first, but that might fix some of them, because this is a common problem with Wolfgangs in my experience.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    Unfortunately this does not happen with only the less expensive off shore guitars. I had the exact same issue on a USA Made Jackson Soloist. I ordered the guitar after playing one at the local Long & McQuade here in Toronto. I had to put down $1,000 deposit and wait months. It was not a custom shop order but they did not have the exact model and colour so I ordered it. After months I got the guitar and it was beautiful. I was so excited. After playing it for a few hours I noticed the high E was almost off the fret board at the 24th fret. The soloist is a neck through design so there was absolutely no adjustments that could be done. The CNC machine must have been off and routed the floyd in the wrong spot. L&M was awesome, they took one look and sent it back. Waited another few months, replacement came. This time there was a flaw in the finish. L&M did not even let me take it home. They sent it back. 3rd time was the charm. I love my soloist now, but now always look for the neck alignment before buying any guitar. The USA JAckson cost me almost $2,400 at the time.
    That's absolutely true. I've seen some horrible stuff on USA made guitars too. I shop at L&M too, and frankly, I think with them a lot of those problems that another shop would either reject or at least correct with an in house setup slide with L&M. Kinda like Guitar Center in the States.

The SG I have now that my friend originally bought was a great guitar off the rack, but within several weeks, the neck went out of whack. Turned out the wood was "green" meaning it wasn't dried properly, and it developed a fairly bad warp. It was fine in their climate controlled store, but once in his home, it went completely wacko. He was chasing truss rod adjustments, the action. he brought it to me to take a look at, and I told him to either take it back and get his money back, or arrange to have it looked at by a luthier on their payroll.
    He did, and got a great guitar in the end, but man...What a pain. All because they cut corners.