Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default AC DC opening for VH back in the day. Did it happen?

Ok, this is an old 'mystery' I hope to clear up once and for all. Here's the deal...

I remember being a kid when my older brother went to see VH at the Cap Cod Coliseum in Massachusetts sometime around 1980. I remember it vividly. I also remember him telling me when he got home the next day that AC DC opened for them. I never questioned it, but about 10 years ago I traded emails with Brad at Van Halen.com and he said it never happened and that AC DC never opened for VH. I brought this up to my brother about 5 years ago but he insists he saw them together that night.

I've cross-referenced VH tour dates and AC DC dates and I see no record of this happening. The only time VH played at the Cape Cod Coliseum was 8/18/79. AC DC shows no date for that night.

So today he sent me a message that he saw an old friend last night for the first time since high school and without my brother saying a word this guy brings up to him how he'll never forget the original AC DC opening for VH at the Cape. WTF???

Ok, so:

1. Brad from VH.com said AC DC never opened for VH but I found this quote from Ed: "My favorite record by AC/DC is Powerage. And 'Down Payment Blues' off that record is my favorite song by them. They never play it live. We did a co-headlining tour with them back in '83 or '84 and we had a gas. I kept asking, 'Angus, you plan on paying 'Down Payment Blues'?' And 'Riff Raff,' all that stuff is great on that record."

According to the VH Road Page there are no VH-AC DC shows in either of those years.

2. When VH was at the Cape on 8/18/79, AC DC had just finished an American Leg on 8/5/79 in Philly. Is it at all possible they stuck around and did some shows with VH and it's not documented? And maybe Ed is just confused with the years?

This saga has been driving me crazy for years. If anyone can shed some light that would be awesome.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Ha. Don't let it dry your crazy. Your friend is simply wrong. VH & AC/DC never shared the same stage until '84. There is NO evidence of them ever doing so. Other than your friends (flawed) memory.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Ok, this is an old 'mystery' I hope to clear up once and for all. Here's the deal...

I remember being a kid when my older brother went to see VH at the Cap Cod Coliseum in Massachusetts sometime around 1980. I remember it vividly. I also remember him telling me when he got home the next day that AC DC opened for them. I never questioned it, but about 10 years ago I traded emails with Brad at Van Halen.com and he said it never happened and that AC DC never opened for VH. I brought this up to my brother about 5 years ago but he insists he saw them together that night.

I've cross-referenced VH tour dates and AC DC dates and I see no record of this happening. The only time VH played at the Cape Cod Coliseum was 8/18/79. AC DC shows no date for that night.

So today he sent me a message that he saw an old friend last night for the first time since high school and without my brother saying a word this guy brings up to him how he'll never forget the original AC DC opening for VH at the Cape. WTF???

Ok, so:

1. Brad from VH.com said AC DC never opened for VH but I found this quote from Ed: "My favorite record by AC/DC is Powerage. And 'Down Payment Blues' off that record is my favorite song by them. They never play it live. We did a co-headlining tour with them back in '83 or '84 and we had a gas. I kept asking, 'Angus, you plan on paying 'Down Payment Blues'?' And 'Riff Raff,' all that stuff is great on that record."

According to the VH Road Page there are no VH-AC DC shows in either of those years.

2. When VH was at the Cape on 8/18/79, AC DC had just finished an American Leg on 8/5/79 in Philly. Is it at all possible they stuck around and did some shows with VH and it's not documented? And maybe Ed is just confused with the years?

This saga has been driving me crazy for years. If anyone can shed some light that would be awesome.
    Monsters of Rock 84'. But there weren't any American dates though. All overseas.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:10 PM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Ha. Don't let it dry your crazy. Your friend is simply wrong. VH & AC/DC never shared the same stage until '84. There is NO evidence of them ever doing so. Other than your friends (flawed) memory.
    What about Day On The Green in Oakland CA. July 23rd 1978. Technically that was a stage shared.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    See, I have no choice but to lean that way and have since Brad responded to me many years ago. I just don't know how my brother could have that story and then his friend (30+years later) brings it up too! WTF?? He's no moron and knows his music. For the life of me I can't figure out what the hell he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Monsters of Rock 84'.
    Thanks, but it wouldn't pertain to the night my brother is talking about. His show was '79. I was 11 and just about in tears when he left the house to go to it.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

Powerage is my favorite ACDC album, Ed has good taste.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    What about Day On The Green in Oakland CA. July 23rd 1978. Technically that was a stage shared.
    Wow, you're right! Forgot about that.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Where's Pumkinhead? he could clear it up with Dugie.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Yep , Ed said in an interview that after he saw AC/DC play that day he said "we have to follow these fuckers". It would have been tough for any band to follow AC/DC in the their early days

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Good bet that the band that opened for Van Halen on that night in '79 was Screams

http://www.vharchives.com/vhtour1979

(check out the comments)

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Good bet that the band that opened for Van Halen on that night in '79 was Screams

http://www.vharchives.com/vhtour1979
    Yup.

http://www.rocktourdatabase.com/node/797

I have a similar headstratcher regarding the 1979 tour dates. The official VH Archive lists 2 Vancouver dates , 4-19-79, and 6-30-79. My first VH cassette bootleg is from one of these dates. I really dont think they actually did play 2 shows in my town, as they've never done 2 shows on any of the other tours. I suspect one of the shows listed was cancelled. I have long wondered which date the bootleg is from, and whether or not they did plays two shows that tour, or if there is a mistake on some of the tour date lists.

http://www.rocktourdatabase.com/venues/pacific-coliseum
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11.24.13 at 09:13 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yeah I've seen that. What I'm saying is I have two different people who did not go to the show together both saying the saw AC DC at that show. Makes no sense to me. Maybe there was some bad dope going around the Coliseum that night.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

I sympathize with your prediciment. AC/DC did open up for Aerosmith on the '78 tour, maybe they both saw that show as well the year before VH, and confused the shows. Who knows.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these tour date lists are incomplete, and may contain errors.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

Reminds me of some other thread we had back in the day about VH being bigger than AC/DC at some point in their career. That "point" didn't last very long, that's for sure.
    Little Dreamer

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Talking of ACDC i met Cliff Williams recently - funnily enough in the queue at Starbucks in Fort Myers! I could of asked him.