Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Default Fifty shades of bland: Hollywood’s leading man shortage

Tom Brook investigates why the film industry appears to be suffering a shortage of young male movie stars.

A recent opinion piece in Variety, one of America’s top entertainment industry publications, proclaims “Hollywood is in the midst of a “leading man crisis.” A couple of days later, US morning TV news programme Good Morning America reported on the subject, posing the question: “Where are all the young bankable stars?”

There does appear to be a certain degree of angst in Hollywood over a relative dearth of young male leads who can consistently bring in a big audience.

Yes, you have several actors with a potent following like Daniel Radcliffe, Robert Pattinson and Ryan Gosling. But no longer are there the young stars of a few years ago – like Tom Cruise – who could always be relied upon to open a movie. In other words, however bad the picture, the film’s leading man would always guarantee big box office takings on the opening weekend because hordes of followers would jam into cinemas just to see him.

“I don’t know a young man who can open a movie – I wish I could name one – I don’t see any on the horizon frankly,” says David D’Arcy who reviews films for Screen International.

Of course there are still great A-list stars in the US – actors like Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr, Will Smith, Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio – but they aren’t exactly youngsters.

The lack of bankable male stars under the age of 40 is being acknowledged throughout the industry – as is the reduced currency of stars in general. “Movie stars are no longer really driving cinema,” says top Hollywood producer and director Brett Ratner, “even though I grew up loving movie stars and going to a movie because I wanted to see Tom Cruise’s opening weekend. I think it’s changed a lot because now it’s about the intellectual property and the idea.”

From the outside it looks like the studios are trying to fix the problem by constantly bringing in new talent in the hope a star will emerge. Everyone thought Channing Tatum might be Hollywood’s saviour but then he failed to bring the blockbuster season movie White House Down to box office glory. His star was somewhat diminished – but many think he still has excellent potential.

Not everybody has visions of a looming disaster. Toby Miller, author of Global Hollywood 2, sees all the talk of Hollywood being crippled by a lack of young male stars as a story concocted by journalists. “I don’t think this is based in anything at all. It’s just really one more story that hacks are looking to tell,” says Miller.

But Miller does concede there is a significant shift taking place in the currency of male star power in Hollywood. “The industrial stardom that generated a long line of people – Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise – from the 1960s through to the 1980s, doesn’t quite seem to exist anymore,” he says. “We have less faith in bankable stars opening movies who are young, that’s certainly true. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a whole array of young men who are given chances in good roles.”

Concept is king

Young male stars have fewer opportunities in which to shine because the kinds of movies Hollywood is focusing on – mainly action-adventures that sell in the increasingly important global market – don’t rely on a single charismatic individual to bring in fans at the box office.

“The action-adventure model has moved from a very individual one to a more ensemble cast: Iron Man, even Spider-man, sees an array of important characters playing their part in the film rather than there being just one single individual who as a vigilante is the person on whose shoulders rests the responsibility of saving the nation or the Earth,” says Miller.

Another explanation is that many of them may be put off by intense media and fan scrutiny. This came to light with the recent decision to cast British actor Charlie Hunnam in the erotic thriller Fifty Shades of Grey. Hunnam pulled out and there was much speculation that part of the reason was because of the intense media coverage and barrage of very negative mail from disgruntled Fifty Shades of Grey fans who didn’t approve of him being cast.

“I would say that the level of fan criticism has become so intense lately that it is really sort of driving actors’ careers,” says Wheeler Winston Dixon, Professor of Film Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

The reality could also be that the studios are just backing the wrong kind of male actors – focussing perhaps too much on looks.

Where the boys are

And perhaps studios just aren’t thinking globally. The majority of Hollywood’s box office now comes from outside the US and international audiences may want young leading men who are a bit different from the commonly sought after all-American hunk with lots of white teeth and perfect abdominals.

British actor James Floyd, who has received accolades for his portrayal of a British Arab in the Sundance winner My Brother the Devil, thinks Hollywood has got it wrong when it comes to casting young leads. “The old stereotype of the all-American Caucasian male selling the most is no longer true,” he says. “Being of mixed ethnicity, non-Caucasian and speaking more than just English are nothing but an advantage – and Hollywood still struggles to embrace this.”

There is also agreement that the machinery that used to groom young star talent no longer exists. Nowadays top studio executives come and go so quickly that they don’t have the opportunity to invest in an actor over the long haul as their counterparts once did.

Wheeler Winston Dixon believes young male actors have to think strategically. “Younger stars need to find projects which are not franchise projects, which allow them to shine through in a really signature role in the way that, say, Robert De Niro did or even Robert Downey Jr,” he says.

Amid this the talk of a crisis, the film industry does not, at first sight, appear to be hurting. Franchises based on preexisting material and high-concept premises, both now in abundance, may be more critical for sustaining healthy box office returns. But the presence of popular leading men is considered vital if Hollywood is to retain and develop the younger audience demographic that has become its mainstay. There is, however, also the opposing view that stars may be overrated when it comes to their importance in boosting box office. “The research shows that the impact of stars on the success of Hollywood motion pictures has always been exaggerated by publicists, agents, and studio heads,” says Toby Miller.

“If you do careful analysis of the different factors in addition to the identity of stars, the identity of directors, the nature of the genre, the operation of the studio, are all factors that are extremely important in the success of movies. So-called bankable A-list stars have plenty of failures that sink beneath the waves. They’re just not written about much.”

Whatever the importance of young stars to Hollywood’s overall fortunes, the current doom-laden conversations could quickly shift. “Things can change overnight,” says critic David D’Arcy. “In a few months we’re going to have films in Sundance with lots of young talent. I think in six months we’ll be talking about some actor who everyone wants to cast.”

But with all the big structural changes roiling the film industry right now – from shifting demographics at the box office, to the growing importance of the foreign market and emerging forms of distribution – Hollywood needs more than just a few young, charismatic leading men to solve its problems. Even the most dynamic young male star will not be able to sell big-budget formulaic duds of which there have been quite a few in recent times. What the film industry could really benefit from is more creative risk-taking, so it is better able to engage its international audience over the long term on a higher and more satisfying level.

That could give tomorrow’s leading men commercially successful, big-screen stories in which they could truly shine.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/newt...newthread&f=18

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I'll volunteer but my first movie must have Jennifer Aniston do a nude love scene with me.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default What the hell happened?

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Old age sucks!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:03 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Some of my somewhat new fav's are Karl Urban and Tom Hardy. Urban as Bones in the new Star Trek and Dredd and Hardy in TDKR, Lawless, and can't wait for Mad Max.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

I doubt there is one clear cut answer... There are some things that I think are factors:

1. The Concept and effects. People didn't go watch Transformers for the actors, but for the effects. People just care more about the effects and the comic book characters than they do the actual actors. It's not that actors no longer matter because that is obviously not true. Look at how upset people got when it was announced that Affleck was replacing Bale as Batman.

2. There just is not a lot of guys with that larger than life personality. I like some younger guys like Gosling, Hardy and Levitt... But they just aren't larger than life, and often they will choose films that doesn't catch the interest of the general public. The public isn't looking for any substance now. They don't care about the type of films some of the younger actors choose to star in.

3. It seems like the actors now are either cast for looks, or they pretty much give off the outcast type of vibe. It seems like all young actors now just want to be taken seriously, but that's not what the audience is looking for these days. It feels like the country has been in a very dark place since 9/11 and the crowds just want to be entertained with go the big show.

4. I think we have hit the end of the days where white actors sell. Who does sell these days? Will Smith and Denzel Washington. The fact of the matter is that being considered "white" is uncool. We have a society that admires black athletes and rappers (Who are mostly black). Hollywood is still trying to push Ryan Reynolds and Channing Tatum and that simply does not work anymore.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.23.13 at 01:31 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,068 Times in 8,926 Posts

Maybe I am a dreamer, but I don't think the race of the actor has much to do with it.

I'll watch a Denzel Washington movie without knowing much about it because he is an awesome actor and is in movies I am interested in seeing usually.

Channing Tatum? Magic Mike? Umm, not interested. White House Down? Looked stupid, didn't watch it and have no interest in it.

I can't even NAME a movie that Ryan Gosling has been in.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Maybe I am a dreamer, but I don't think the race of the actor has much to do with it.

I'll watch a Denzel Washington movie without knowing much about it because he is an awesome actor and is in movies I am interested in seeing usually.

Channing Tatum? Magic Mike? Umm, not interested. White House Down? Looked stupid, didn't watch it and have no interest in it.

I'm with u. I really don't care about an actors race at all.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Personally, I think Denzel has gotten by on reputation for years. He rarely makes a BAD movie, but he never does anything that is top notch now.

Let's take a look at his post Training Day stuff:

-John Q.
    -Antwone Fisher
    -Out of Time
    -The Manchurian Candidate
    -Man on Fire
    -Inside Man
    -Déjà Vu
    -The Great Debaters
    -American Gangster
    -The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
    -Unstoppable
    -The Book of Eli
    -Safe House
    -Flight
    -2 Guns

Not a lot of downright bad movies there. But he no longer pushes himself.
    Most of the time he is in chill mode now.

“The old stereotype of the all-American Caucasian male selling the most is no longer true,” he says. “Being of mixed ethnicity, non-Caucasian and speaking more than just English are nothing but an advantage – and Hollywood still struggles to embrace this.”
    I think the writer here is correct. Society is becoming less and less "white" as the years go by and Hollywood has not totally accepted that fact.

I would expect you to know more about Denzel and his movies because you're in your 40's (I cheated you a few years, sorry...).

It goes back to what I said:

2. There just is not a lot of guys with that larger than life personality. I like some younger guys like Gosling, Hardy and Levitt... But they just aren't larger than life, and often they will choose films that doesn't catch the interest of the general public. The public isn't looking for any substance now. They don't care about the type of films some of the younger actors choose to star in.
    Stuff like Half Nelson, Lars and The Real Girl, Blue Valentine and The Place Beyond the Pines are not the type of movies that usually appeal to the general male movie goer. Most women will know Ryan Gosling from The Notebook and most males will know him from Drive.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Race has nothing to do with it whatsoever. America has not been producing great actors/leading men for a while. The downward spiral of our culture has reached acting and it is embarrassing.

It's all about fame these days and you can count on one hand how many American actors see it as an art form.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Race has nothing to do with it whatsoever. America has not been producing great actors/leading men for a while. The downward spiral of our culture has reached acting and it is embarrassing.

It's all about fame these days and you can count on one hand how many American actors see it as an art form.
    Race does have something to do with it. White people look lame to the younger crowds. That's part of why they listen to rap so much. And with the way society is becoming less and less white, I think people want to see Hollywood reflect that also.

Oh, americans don't care about movies/film as an art anymore. That's more like it.

I mean, do you look at the box office totals?
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.25.13 at 04:18 AM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Spielberg/Lucas was the beginning of the end as far as audiences taking film seriously goes.

You look, 2007 was a year that featured several serious movies, but fantasy, comic book and children's movies are still what sold.

The general audience did not care about There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, Gone Baby Gone, Atonement, No Country for Old Men or Jesse James.

They went to see Wild Hogs, Spider Man 3, Transformers and Shrek the Third instead.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Spielberg/Lucas was the beginning of the end as far as audiences taking film seriously goes.

You look, 2007 was a year that featured several serious movies, but fantasy, comic book and children's movies are still what sold.

The general audience did not care about There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, Gone Baby Gone, Atonement, No Country for Old Men or Jesse James.

They went to see Wild Hogs, Spider Man 3, Transformers and Shrek the Third instead.
    The serious movies that you mentioned are not blockbuster revenue makers regardless of the era. Let's pretend that it is a race issue, it does not take away from the fact that America has not produced a great actor in a long time. Most of the great actors of today come from overseas. There is no American Javier Bardem or Daniel Day Lewis-Lewis.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The serious movies that you mentioned are not blockbuster revenue makers regardless of the era. Let's pretend that it is a race issue, it does not take away from the fact that America has not produced a great actor in a long time. Most of the great actors of today come from overseas. There is no American Javier Bardem or Daniel Day Lewis-Lewis.
    The bottom line is that the general audience does not have a great interest in seeing serious artistic movies. It's not hard to see. There are some exceptions, but largely the audience are happy as long as they keep getting fed big budget action movies, sequels and kids movies.

You take Zodiac... It's made by a well known director that made Seven, Fight Club and The Social Network. All three popular movies. It has one of the biggest stars from the last decade in it. Really, it's basically the All The President's Men of this era... And that movie made 76 million in 1976.

If people stop going to watch fluff it will force Hollywood to try something different. Right now, they have no reason to make movies that are not superhero, action, and kids movies.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is someone that I really like, but he doesn't have the charisma to be a leading man on a larger scale. But largely, Hollywood has less desire and interest to develop American movie stars because Worldwide Box Office Sales are important now.

Last Online

Premium Member

I don't think most americans are just dying for the next all american boy anyway, and I think Hollywood is aware of that. It makes it easier to cast non americans in an effort to appeal to a wider range of people.

Overall, it's probably a combo of things....

-American men are becoming less and less manlier

-A larger global audience makes American actors less needed

-Most of the movies made now doesn't demand great acting

-Hollywood is considered an all liberal freak show now and perhaps that limits the talent pool.

-Non Americans are simply better actors these days

I'm sure there are plenty more reasons that just aren't coming too me right now.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.25.13 at 12:55 PM.