Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 3,629 Times in 1,873 Posts

Premium Member

Dangerous Diet Trend: The Cotton Ball Diet

Dangerous Diet Trend: The Cotton Ball Diet

The tapeworm diet, the feeding tube diet, the air diet -- Brandi Koskie, managing editor of the website Diets in Review, said she thought she'd seen every crazy food fad out there. But then came the cotton ball diet.

The diet, as described in chat rooms, on YouTube videos and elsewhere on the Web, involves gobbling up to five cotton balls dipped in orange juice, lemonade or a smoothie in one sitting. The idea is to feel full without gaining weight. Some dieters chow down on the fluffy fillers before a meal to limit their food intake, while others subsist on cotton balls exclusively.

"Nothing good can come of this. Absolutely nothing," said Koskie, who has been tracking diet trends for more than nine years.

One thing that strikes Koskie is that, unless you're dining on an expensive organic brand, most cotton balls aren't made of cotton. They're bleached, polyester fibers that contain a lot of chemicals.

"Your clothing is also made of polyester, so swallowing a synthetic cotton ball is like dipping your T-shirt in orange juice and eating it," she said.

Dr. Ovidio Bermudez, the chief medical officer at the Eating Recovery Center in Denver, said he agreed that downing synthetic cotton balls is similar to eating cloth, or even buttons or coins. Beyond the risk of choking and malnutrition, the practice might lead to an obstruction of the intestinal tract, a trapped mass called a bezoar, said Bermudez.

"The most common causes of bezoars are swallowing indigestible matter like hair or too much vegetable fiber. Cotton balls could certainly create similar problems," Bermudez said.

Over time, the cotton balls could build up and create several blockages or a full obstruction. Either of these conditions could be life-threatening, Bermudez said.

Models have been suspected of eating cotton balls for years, said Lynn Grefe, president and CEO of the National Eating Disorder Association. Eddie Murphy's model daughter, Bria Murphy, talked about this on "Good Morning America" earlier this year, telling the hosts that she'd heard about girls eating cotton balls soaked in orange juice because they were under pressure to stay slim.

More recently, tween and teenage girls seem to be catching onto the cotton ball diet. Koskie said there were YouTube videos devoted to people trying the cotton ball diet, many of them made by girls in the 9- to 16-age range, she said.

Grefe said she didn't consider the cotton ball diet a diet at all, but rather an unhealthy, disordered form of eating behavior.

"When we talk about something like this we certainly aren't talking about health anymore," she said. "We're talking about weight and size and certainly something that is potentially very, very dangerous."

Karmyn Eddy, co-director of the eating disorders clinical and research program at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, said eating cotton balls is a form of pica, which is the practice of eating nonfood items. Typically, pica is a craving for something inedible that's driven by the lack of a particular nutrient. But Eddy said she's seen it take the form of an eating disorder. She believes this is the case with the cotton ball diet.

"I've had patients in my practice eat things like paper and clay for the same reason -- they're trying to distract themselves from hunger and prevent weight gain," she said.

"It's certainly a misguided practice, and I find it alarming for young girls to be doing this who don't have the information to understand what they are doing to their bodies."

Koskie said she hasn't seen much talk about the diet on her site's message boards or social media accounts yet. But now that there's been a buzz about the practice elsewhere on the Internet, she expects that to change. As the holidays get closer, she said, dieters grow more desperate to shed unwanted pounds, and they're more likely to try riskier behaviors to get there.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dangero...ry?id=20942888

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 876 Times in 544 Posts

Who the hell comes up with these dumb ideas???
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 05:26 AM
    Liked 478 Times in 260 Posts

Premium Member

I have a BRAND NEW diet idea for EVERYONE! It will save people MASSIVE $'s and they'll drop weight like nobodies business.....

Step 1: eat less.

Step 2: eat more veggies

Step 3: Drink water

Step 4: repeat 4-5 times per day.

There. Nobody has to buy ridiculous drugs, saving money. Not buying pop or chips or processed food, saves money.

The US (according to google) spends about $40 BILLION a year on diet fads. I've saved consumers $40 billion and got them to lose weight. So, congrats and you're welcome.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 343 Times in 197 Posts

Experts warn that eating cotton can have dangerous side effects

Wish I had read that before I got stoned, realized there were no snacks in the house and decided to eat my bed sheets.

I'm always the last to know this stuff.

Great.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 04:43 AM
    Liked 1,715 Times in 687 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, at least you shouldn't have to wipe your ass after you take a shit. The cotton balls should handle that for you.

orig VH fan x craps champ edwardv's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 1,268 Times in 801 Posts

Premium Member

GI surgeons are gonna love this one!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Well, at least you shouldn't have to wipe your ass after you take a shit. The cotton balls should handle that for you.
    Yes, the self-wiping shit it shall be known as.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 08:55 AM
    Liked 863 Times in 596 Posts

Premium Member

soon we'll be hearing about a new sexual position called the "cotton ball" or the "cotton tail"

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

11.27.16 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 1,200 Times in 826 Posts

Premium Member

It doesn't get better as you get older either. My sister works in a nursing home for elderly people with dementia, and the staff are ALWAYS having to hide the loo-roll from the patients, or they'll scoff the stuff.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 1,344 Times in 517 Posts

Premium Member

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.