Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Help me get the 1984 tone with my rig.

I got this album the day it came out and started playing guitar a week earlier. I think Drop Dead Legs has my favorite tone. Anyway, I am running an EBMM EVH and Axis Tribute (just got am EVH Wolf Spec. too) through a Soldano SLO 100, which usually runs through a Soldano 4x12 or Mesa Stiletto 4x12. I have some stomp boxes and know he has a chorus on DDL. But what should I do with my amp settings? Is there a secret effect on most of 1984? Help me out here.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I got this album the day it came out and started playing guitar a week earlier. I think Drop Dead Legs has my favorite tone. Anyway, I am running an EBMM EVH and Axis Tribute (just got am EVH Wolf Spec. too) through a Soldano SLO 100, which usually runs through a Soldano 4x12 or Mesa Stiletto 4x12. I have some stomp boxes and know he has a chorus on DDL. But what should I do with my amp settings? Is there a secret effect on most of 1984? Help me out here.
    Yes, 2 key "secrets."

Stereo guitar rig

Detune

You're gonna have to mellow out your SLO100 and keep the gain WAY down on it too to get near 1984. Maybe even use the clean channel with the crunch switch on. It's a great amp though, and you should be able to dial in some awesome tones with it -- and get reasonably close to 1984.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Ok, I have my eye on a few TC Electronic Chorus SCFs. I don't think my Boss is gonna cut it. I need to rig up one of my spare cabs in stereo. But I'm not really dying for a pan effect or even the effects side of 1984. I just want to get the tone from that album.

FWIW, in that 5150 tour documentary they show the guys goofing off in the tuning room and I always thought that Fender amp Ed had there sounded like 1984. So I always associated that album's tone with a Fender. I found Ed's SLO settings from the F.U.C.K. album online and currently run my SLO pretty close to those. I get compliments on it all the time. But I think 1984 sounds better.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Ear candy for you.

Enjoy!

HH<------all up in the youtube search--------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Wow. Never heard that before. Sound very mid-y to me and with pretty low gain. I always like to err on the side of less gain, so as to force me to try harder to make my hands produce the sound and sustain. But I'd be hard pressed to get by with as little as is in that clip.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    its called a really loud plexi on 10 thru 1 4x12, an sm57 right up on the speaker, and a little reverb and maybe a slight detune. oh yeah, and EVH's fingers. nothing secret. his old sound really is not high gain. for the 84' tour he wasn't using DDL or chorus. if i remember it was just an MXR echo. no rack yet. just a marshall, H/H's for extra cabs, and pedalboard. the SLO lead channel won't really do it. as MrJ says, use channel 2 with the crunch. that will be closer.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:26 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

I was just listening to that 84 solo on YT the other day and damn that was the tone of the classic Edward for sure. simply amazing.....

Rob

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

First thing. I'm with ya. I want the 1984 DDL tone. It's a cranked Marshall power section. Pretty sure he used his Gibson Flying V on that song. I've tried to hear effects, detune. Outro solo yes. It's on the rhythm guitar. But just like the first album, I think he's using a detune effect, but it's very subtle. I don't hear it really. But the tone has a color to it that makes me think it's there and I just don't hear it. He did use a ton of reverb too. Diver Down his use of the Eventide Harmonizer is obvious. Much harder to hear on 1984.

Here's what Ed did. His Plexi into a variac, then he needed a load box of some kind. He may have been using the Palmer speaker simulator then. Not sure but the signal had to go somewhere. Dummy cab? Doubt it. So some kind of load box. I do know he used H&H power amps for the 1984 tour. Every album and tour he ever did, he takes the same gear on the road he used in the studio. Minus the magic Marshall. That he left at home and had several other Marshalls he took on the road. So I assume he had the power amps for the 1984 record. There is a difference in tone from early records. I think it's the use of power amps.

Check out the Bogner Helios. I hear 1984 coming straight outta that thing. Only amp I ever heard that reminded me of 1984 and I want one!

If I could build a 1984 rig today...Friedman BE-100, load box, Matrix power amp, and 5150 III 4x12 cab. Add a good reverb pedal or rack and I'd go with the Eventide Pitchfactor for detune. I've given this a lot of thought, obviously.

Instead I'll take the Bogner Helios. Cheaper and does what I want in an amp. But someday I'll get that 1984 sound. Maybe even put that rig together.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I think his tone on each album is vastly different from the next one. WACF and FW are the closest to each other, IMHO. VHI is the most distorted. But 1984 has something the others don't and I don't think it's just another overdriven Marshall. The intro to DDL definitely has a chorus with his guitar's volume knob down a little, sort of like the intro to Black and Blue. In fact, as much as I hate the production and mastering of OU812, I do hear some similarities in guitar tone. I remember seeing them on that tour, when his tech, Zack, came out with the 5150 guitar and played for a few min., not through the PA and, I think, with no effects on. That was THE sound. Will never forget it.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

The key to the 1984 tone is a Eventide H910. Killer, simple set and forget detune. You barely move the dial -- I think the setting is like .99 or .01 -- it's just a hair of effect.

Put that on an old Marshall JMP or Super Lead, and your 90% there.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    The key to the 1984 tone is a Eventide H910. Killer, simple set and forget detune. You barely move the dial -- I think the setting is like .99 or .01 -- it's just a hair of effect.

Put that on an old Marshall JMP or Super Lead, and your 90% there.
    This

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I've found that the "Harmonist" setting on my Boss ME70, set to zero will get pretty close. It give you a doubling effect that is almost stereo or chorus. You have to run it in the effects loop though. That with a little delay, and some reverb should get you close.

I'm using a PRS SE30 with the gain very low on the lead channel, and I'm running a General Guitar Gadgets BSIAB2 in front of it. With the above settings, it's real close to that '84 tone.

One thing I should mention. I've run an EBMM/EVH, a new EVH Wolf Special, and a Strat with a Frankenstein humbucker in it. All sounded good, but if you want that '84 tone, you really have to use the Frankenstein pickup.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I've found that the "Harmonist" setting on my Boss ME70, set to zero will get pretty close. It give you a doubling effect that is almost stereo or chorus. You have to run it in the effects loop though. That with a little delay, and some reverb should get you close.

I'm using a PRS SE30 with the gain very low on the lead channel, and I'm running a General Guitar Gadgets BSIAB2 in front of it. With the above settings, it's real close to that '84 tone.

One thing I should mention. I've run an EBMM/EVH, a new EVH Wolf Special, and a Strat with a Frankenstein humbucker in it. All sounded good, but if you want that '84 tone, you really have to use the Frankenstein pickup.
    The Frankenstein pickup is essentially an aged Duncan Custom Custom. It's fairly well known that the 5150 Kramer had a Duncan CC in it.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I just went back and relearned most of DDL and, while I'm not getting the intro tone, I do think I'm nailing the outro rhythm guitar tone. I'm using my EBMM Axis Tribute with D-Tuna run straight into my SLO 100 with no effects. I need to figure out how to make a recording with my iPhone that I can upload here, but I think it sounds pretty close. Intro is really going to take some thinking on how to copy that tone. I almost think my GK 250ML would be right for that part.

BTW, doesn't the main riff, once it launches in, have some whammy bar on a d note on the 5th fret, 5th string? That can't be his Flying V.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can get the axis to clean up real nice for the DDL intro, if you've got the dirty rhythm it shouldn't be too hard to clean it up. Definitely whammy on that d note, but no idea if the V's bar goes that deep.