Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default Kinks guitarist interview, Van Halen covered in depth

Hey all,

My interview with Dave Davies of The Kinks is up on VHND. We talked about all things "You Really Got Me" and VH-Kinks related. Enjoy.

http://www.vhnd.com/2013/11/19/the-kinks-and-van-halen/

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Very cool!!

YRGM is iconic!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

I remember an interview with Dave Davies from a couple of years back and he mentioned that he absolutely hated Van Halen's version of YRGM... Maybe he was having a bad day or something???

I've always loved Dweezil's reaction to hearing the Kinks version for the first time....

"Man, they really fucked up that Van Halen song"...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    I remember an interview with Dave Davies from a couple of years back and he mentioned that he absolutely hated Van Halen's version of YRGM... Maybe he was having a bad day or something???

I've always loved Dweezil's reaction to hearing the Kinks version for the first time....

"Man, they really fucked up that Van Halen song"...
    Doesn't really sound like he's changed his opinion much...he's just gotten more political about showing his disdain for it.

When I heard the guys’ [Van Halen’s] version of it, I felt, you know, “This sounds really flashy.” But it depicted the era, didn’t it? In that it was in the era when stadium rock was big, and guitars were flashier, and tight trousers, and swanky. The original record was—our record, the original, because Van Halen’s is a cover [laughs]—we literally had one, ball-busting chance to make that record, otherwise it would’ve never gotten made. The record company fucked up the first recording, and they had echo all over the place. It was awful. Our manager gave us two hundred pounds to go in the studio to get it how we wanted to do it. So, I just sliced my own damn speakers—really basic stuff. When I first heard the sound of it, it was either shit or bust. It was like, you know, I had to do it, otherwise we were never going to get another session. I had no idea what I was going to do on the solo. I was really just cocky, and I just fucking played something. And that’s what happened.

Our version is very much about survival and kids trying to express themselves. It’s like “You Really Got Me” has that feeling of kids just trying to express themselves. You know, back then, if we wanted to date a girl, we just went up to her and grabbed hold of her. And you didn’t wine and dine, or court. It was just really fundamental, basic kind of things that young kids did at that time. And the music reflected our own culture and behavior. So, really, even though it’s the same song, there’s a cultural emphasis and there’s patterns in it.

There’s a chasm between the two versions. One’s about a comfortable, American urban life. And one is about a raunchy, desperate kind of survival instinct. I’m not saying it wasn’t a good record. It always makes you feel good when people are inspired by your work.
    So after all that he ends with "I'm not saying it wasn't a good record".

Yeah...if you have to say that, it means that's exactly what you were saying.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

It was a good interview. The interviewer provided him with some facts that he didn't know.

He was complimentary, not critical at all.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

07.07.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I like the interview and love the Kinks...Dave needs to quiet down about VH's version as they started doing a similar fast loud version live the minute VH's got popular. (see the live Kinks 2 Lp set-"one for the road")

Better yet don't...that version sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 11,598 Times in 4,945 Posts

I like the Kinks but the VH version is so far superior to the original, it's laughable imo.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tango fistula View Post
    I like the interview and love the Kinks...Dave needs to quiet down about VH's version as they started doing a similar fast loud version live the minute VH's got popular. (see the live Kinks 2 Lp set-"one for the road")

Better yet don't...that version sucks.
    Well...that's interesting. Ray has said he likes the VH version...perhaps he had more influence on how they performed it? Perhaps that is one of the many things the brothers fought about?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    It was a good interview. The interviewer provided him with some facts that he didn't know.

He was complimentary, not critical at all.
    I dunno....it sounds like he's critical of the VH version to me.

When I heard the guys’ [Van Halen’s] version of it, I felt, you know, “This sounds really flashy.” But it depicted the era, didn’t it? In that it was in the era when stadium rock was big, and guitars were flashier, and tight trousers, and swanky.
    How does that sound? "This sounds really flashy"...that's got disdain dripping off it...and then he goes on to describe "that era" in terms that sound like he's looking down his nose at it. Not to mention that he's not even giving VH credit for the way it sounds. "The era" did not sound like VH...until VH came along. The VH version doesn't sound like that because of "the era"...it sounds that way because of VH.

Then...he suddenly changes his tone when talking about the Kinks version. Suddenly it's all about "survival" (really? ), "fundamentals", and "kids expressing themselves". Oh...and just in case you forgot...he makes darn sure to remind you that the VH version isn't the original...but a cover. Oh...and they only had "one ball-busting chance". (As if VH had months to do theirs on their very first album)
    The original record was—our record, the original, because Van Halen’s is a cover [laughs]—we literally had one, ball-busting chance to make that record, otherwise it would’ve never gotten made. The record company fucked up the first recording, and they had echo all over the place. It was awful. Our manager gave us two hundred pounds to go in the studio to get it how we wanted to do it. So, I just sliced my own damn speakers—really basic stuff. When I first heard the sound of it, it was either shit or bust. It was like, you know, I had to do it, otherwise we were never going to get another session. I had no idea what I was going to do on the solo. I was really just cocky, and I just fucking played something. And that’s what happened.

Our version is very much about survival and kids trying to express themselves. It’s like “You Really Got Me” has that feeling of kids just trying to express themselves. You know, back then, if we wanted to date a girl, we just went up to her and grabbed hold of her. And you didn’t wine and dine, or court. It was just really fundamental, basic kind of things that young kids did at that time. And the music reflected our own culture and behavior.
    So he thinks there are cultural differences in the songs....let's hear how he describes those two cultures.
    So, really, even though it’s the same song, there’s a cultural emphasis and there’s patterns in it.

There’s a chasm between the two versions. One’s about a comfortable, American urban life. And one is about a raunchy, desperate kind of survival instinct.
    Oh no...that's not insulting at all. I'm wondering how he kept his lunch down while describing that "comfortable American urban life" (He should read the bio of the VH brothers' early life) compared to his romanticized version of how the poor Kinks barely managed to survive as they recorded the original. He actually seems to believe that VH was given some kind of special status in the studio while the Kinks were under the whips and chains of the evil studio as they struggled to record the song against all odds. Why...he had to slice his own speaker! Because he was all "cocky". Hey Dave....that's nice and all....but Eddie Van Halen invented his own guitar, amp, and playing style. I have to admit I totally believe Dave had no idea what to play on the solo...it shows.

The more I read it, the more he looks like a bitter arrogant hipster.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

And before Dave Davies gets too far in taking credit for power chords...I stumbled across this while reading things related to the surf music thread.

Link Wray. Father of the POWER CHORD. Creator of Distortion. Punk, heavy metal, grunge, garage, real rock guitar…it all started here.

Link Wray was the first to use intentional distortion in a rock and roll recording.

Link Wray is credited with inventing the POWER CHORD, the “modus operandi” in rock and roll.
    http://www.linkwray.com/

I know "Rumble" was around a long time before the Kinks or the Stones (Satisfaction). 1958....and Wray poked holes in his speaker to get the sound.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

I've always had the impression that neither of the Davies brothers particularly cared for any American bands and, in typical smug British fashion, snubbed anything being said it was great, even if it was a cover of their own song. Like they don't want to acknowledge the fact and give any credit.