Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 11,726 Times in 6,497 Posts

Premium Member

Default Pope Francis Warns Against ‘Adolescent Progressivism’

While delivering his daily homily this morning in St. Martha’s House, Pope Francis warned believers to be wary in today’s secular culture, speaking out against what he called an [B]“adolescent progressivism,”[/B] Vatican Radio reported.

Rather than bending to the ways of the world, the pontiff told believers to hold on to their faith and framed the word “progressive” as a move toward a single-mindedness that may not actually yield positive benefits for the culture as a whole.

“The spirit of worldliness also exists today, today also brings us this desire to be progressive, following a single thought,”
    said Pope Francis.

The pontiff also warned the faithful to avoid the “spirit of the word that negotiates everything.” Rather than embracing today’s pleasure-seeking culture, Pope Francis told believers to avoid compromising values and personal faith for the sake of worldliness.

He took aim at a “globalized uniformity,” which he said results from a secular worldliness, as people are oft-times willing to sacrifice their personal values and allegiance to God.

Pope Francis prayed that believers would be able to recognize the worldliness that could lead them to negotiate their faith and, thus, hamper their standing and relationship with the Lord.

“And this is a contradiction: we do not negotiate values, but faithfulness,” the pontiff told the audience. “And this is the fruit of the devil, the prince of this world, who leads us forward with the spirit of worldliness.”

Here’s how Vatican Insider described the message:

Today’s first reading was a passage from the Book of Maccabees. Francis focused on the perverted source of worldliness in this passage, which describes how the leaders of the people do not want Israel to be isolated from other nations, and so abandon their traditions to negotiate with the king.

So here we see leaders going to negotiate and they are excited about it. The pope says it is as though what they are saying is: “we are progressives; let’s follow progress like everyone else does”. The Pope noted that this is the “spirit of adolescent progressivism” according to which “any move forward and any choice is better than remaining within the routine of fidelity,” Vatican Radio reports.

In a world in which culture is increasingly changing, this message is certainly timely. While not everyone will agree with its merits, it speaks to the confusion and angst some faithful feel as cultural shifts move in directions that many believers find unpalatable.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Surprises me that Sarah Palin dislikes him so. This all sounds right up her visible-from-Russia alley.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

It's an interesting, yet ancient question; What's more important: holding on to what you deem important or compromising your beliefs for the sake of getting along?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Not surprising on how this went. There seems to be push in the Church towards more of a non-compromising approach as it relates to faith, or to "serve" while practicing your faith.

Nothing wrong with that
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post
    Not surprising on how this went. There seems to be push in the Church towards more of a non-compromising approach as it relates to faith, or to "serve" while practicing your faith.

Nothing wrong with that
    Organized religion is a strange animal when it relates to the question I mentioned above. I'm Catholic, so I'm always interested in the way the world perceives Catholicism as well as how we perceive each other. In the last century, the Catholic Church went to great pains to "modernize" itself with Vatican II. It was thought it would attract more followers and create better understanding amongst the faithful.

However, it can be argued that these efforts to modernize have hurt Catholicism. Europe is at an all time low and America is fast on her heals. Now we hear calls to "modernize" again: women priests, married priests, leniency on divorce, easing up on the criticism of abortion, etc.

The question is: if you compromise the religion in attempt to capture the people you are losing, are you not just watering down what your religion teaches and alienating those that are still true to the original teachings? And are you not putting yourself at the mercy of democratizing a religion from outside forces? That's why I chuckled when the media made a big deal about the Vatican sending out a questionnaire to different parishes asking about their views on contraception, gay marriage, etc. What they fail to realize is that Catholicism isn't an elastic concept that changes based on what the current view of the day is: it is a continuation of Jesus' teachings and adherence to the scriptures. Bending that to contemporary desires destroys everything the religion stands for, and in the end takes the legs out from under the entire religion.

The splintering of Christianity into the different sects has brought about a sense that if you don't agree with God's teachings, you can just start your own religion with different interpretations. It's how we get these mega churches that are more like motivational speaking engagements than religious worship.

I think Pope Francis is wise to warn of compromising your own beliefs when it comes to religion, because if you really believe what religion is preaching, then it is the Word of God and it is not to compromised by human desires.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Good points all.

Interestingly enough, my wife and I changed parishes due to what we believed showed too much leniency in certain areas of its day to day teachings.

However, I do see the need for any religion to re-examine itself from time to time if only to ensure that things are looked at objectively as opposed to "because it is the way it is supposed to be". That works as a parent to your kids, not at church
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Organized religion is a strange animal when it relates to the question I mentioned above. I'm Catholic, so I'm always interested in the way the world perceives Catholicism as well as how we perceive each other. In the last century, the Catholic Church went to great pains to "modernize" itself with Vatican II. It was thought it would attract more followers and create better understanding amongst the faithful.

However, it can be argued that these efforts to modernize have hurt Catholicism. Europe is at an all time low and America is fast on her heals. Now we hear calls to "modernize" again: women priests, married priests, leniency on divorce, easing up on the criticism of abortion, etc.

The question is: if you compromise the religion in attempt to capture the people you are losing, are you not just watering down what your religion teaches and alienating those that are still true to the original teachings? And are you not putting yourself at the mercy of democratizing a religion from outside forces? That's why I chuckled when the media made a big deal about the Vatican sending out a questionnaire to different parishes asking about their views on contraception, gay marriage, etc. What they fail to realize is that Catholicism isn't an elastic concept that changes based on what the current view of the day is: it is a continuation of Jesus' teachings and adherence to the scriptures. Bending that to contemporary desires destroys everything the religion stands for, and in the end takes the legs out from under the entire religion.

The splintering of Christianity into the different sects has brought about a sense that if you don't agree with God's teachings, you can just start your own religion with different interpretations. It's how we get these mega churches that are more like motivational speaking engagements than religious worship.

I think Pope Francis is wise to warn of compromising your own beliefs when it comes to religion, because if you really believe what religion is preaching, then it is the Word of God and it is not to compromised by human desires.
    That's just a really good post. Nicely done.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen