Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Walmart in Ohio is holding a holiday canned food drive — for its own workers....

A Walmart in northeast Ohio is holding a holiday canned food drive — for its own underpaid employees. “Please Donate Food Items Here, so Associates in Need Can Enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner,” a sign reads in the employee lounge of a Canton-area Walmart.

Kory Lundberg, a Walmart spokesman, says the drive is a positive thing. “This is part of the company’s culture to rally around associates and take care of them when they face extreme hardships,” he said. Indeed, Lundberg is correct that it’s commendable to make an effort to help out those who are in need, especially during the holidays.

But the need for a food drive illustrates how difficult it is for Walmart workers to get by on its notoriously low pay. The company has long been plagued by charges that it doesn’t pay its employees a real living wage. In fact,

Walmart’s President and CEO, Bill Simon, recently estimated that the majority of its one million associates make less than $25,000 per year, just above the federal poverty line of $23,550 for a family of four. When the Washington DC city council passed a living wage bill requiring Walmart to pay workers a minimum of $12.50 per hour, the chain threatened to shut down its new stores if Mayor Vincent Gray didn’t veto the bill. Gray vetoed the bill.

Walmart’s low wages come at a public cost. Because low-income workers still need housing and health care, taxpayers end up doling out millions in benefits to bridge the gap faced by many of the store’s retail workers. They have also led to strikes at Walmart stores from Seattle to Chicago to Los Angeles in recent weeks.

Even if the canned food drive successfully gathers enough to help out the Canton store’s low-income workers, many of them might not even be able to have the food on Thanksgiving. That’s because Walmart is one of a group of retailers that will open its stores for Black Friday sales beginning at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving afternoon.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

isn't this just fucking lovely. People who work for a company that makes billions of dollars a year are getting food donated to them at work so they could celebrate Thanksgiving. Walmart just made the case for a higher min wage better than I ever could. Disgraceful.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

As a substitute teacher, usually a temporary job on the way to teaching, I need to work two jobs (on top of working for multiple districts as part of one of those jobs) or I would make less than the "majority" of Walmart's employees.

Districts might want to pay me higher wages, especially those in districts who have difficulty bringing in subs because of student behavior, but the teacher's union keeps substitute teacher wages low in order to protect and value the regular teachers. At the same time, unions fight to increase the minimum wage--which wouldn't affect substitute teachers--mostly because lots of union wages are tied to the minimum wage.

So while the argument could be made that Walmart doesn't care about their employees and the government should step in, well the exact same argument could be made about my situation, except the party that runs the CA government is in cahoots with the unions and it's not a sexy topic. We seem to care so much about the poor Walmart workers, but no one ever talks about the fact that many union wages get bumped when the minimum wage does, and the unions are the loudest voices in the minimum wage argument.

I took out loans and spent time concurrently working a low-paying job and going to college in order to get a BA and better my situation. Subbing is another step on the way to full-time teaching. I'm not worried.

But why do we care so much about the Walmart worker and how the government should protect them, yet no one gives a shit about me? It's okay, I don't really want you guys to--I'm just making a point. But the government and unions are no better at caring about this than Walmart is. In fact, Walmart might be better.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.19.13 at 12:10 AM.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

My guess is that you will see that sign a whole lot more in the USA the next few years.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

I think it has a lot to do with public perception.

I think it's criminal that teachers aren't paid higher salaries for the amount of effort, time, and dedication that goes with the job. This is not a profession that one simply goes in for the day and clocks out until the following day. One takes this job home with them. Who wants to work at home when they've already been to work?

Walmart is one of those entities that is in our faces on a daily basis. One simply cannot escape them. They come in and decimate any businesses around them. Of course this is capitalism and it's perfectly legal to have a Walmart in EVERY neighborhood of a city. I guess it's the jobs thing.

I personally think that Walmart borders on a monopoly but our politicians are too cowardly to reign them in. Cheap Chinese products rule the day! They're a hot-button issue and so anything that puts them in a bad light will get covered and sadly issues such as teacher pay get thrown by the wayside. We need to hold the calling of teaching to be just as important as law enforcement or firefighting, if not THE most important, and pay accordingly. I would be fine with teachers making at a minimum 50 to 60,000 a year with a limited benefits package, after a few years of teaching, provided they did a good job and I don't mean teaching to a test good job. More for long-time proven teachers.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I would be fine with teachers making at a minimum 50 to 60,000 a year with a limited benefits package, after a few years of teaching, provided they did a good job and I don't mean teaching to a test good job. More for long-time proven teachers.
    I can't believe they DON'T make that, to be honest! I was making that amount 9 years ago, with NO additional responsibility points (for which you can get anywhere from £1000 / $1700 to £5000 / $8000, depending on the duties assigned - and you can have more than one point, too).

I always thought that teachers were poorly paid in the UK - but if yours are making LESS than that, then something needs to be done, asap, I would've thought...)
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I can't believe they DON'T make that, to be honest! I was making that amount 9 years ago, with NO additional responsibility points (for which you can get anywhere from £1000 / $1700 to £5000 / $8000, depending on the duties assigned - and you can have more than one point, too).

I always thought that teachers were poorly paid in the UK - but if yours are making LESS than that, then something needs to be done, asap, I would've thought...)
    I'm not an expert on teacher pay but I would say that the majority of teachers in the states are making under 50,000.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    isn't this just fucking lovely. People who work for a company that makes billions of dollars a year are getting food donated to them at work so they could celebrate Thanksgiving. Walmart just made the case for a higher min wage better than I ever could. Disgraceful.
    To use an Alec Baldwin-ism - why don't those rich corporate cxcksuckers at Wal-Mart throw some money in these stores to send home a Thanksgiving dinner to those employees in need?

I hate Wal Mart - I just hate the fuckin' place, all around.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    To use an Alec Baldwin-ism - why don't those rich corporate cxcksuckers at Wal-Mart throw some money in these stores to send home a Thanksgiving dinner to those employees in need?

I hate Wal Mart - I just hate the fuckin' place, all around.
    It's interesting you should say that. Not that long ago, they bought out one of our largest and most popular supermarket chains, Asda - and, initially, Asda used the Walmart name on its promotional materials and the like. However, they soon discovered that Walmart was sooo incredibly unpopular as a brand, that they needed to rid themselves of the association, and dropped the name like a hot brick!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    As a substitute teacher, usually a temporary job on the way to teaching, I need to work two jobs (on top of working for multiple districts as part of one of those jobs) or I would make less than the "majority" of Walmart's employees.

Districts might want to pay me higher wages, especially those in districts who have difficulty bringing in subs because of student behavior, but the teacher's union keeps substitute teacher wages low in order to protect and value the regular teachers. At the same time, unions fight to increase the minimum wage--which wouldn't affect substitute teachers--mostly because lots of union wages are tied to the minimum wage.

So while the argument could be made that Walmart doesn't care about their employees and the government should step in, well the exact same argument could be made about my situation, except the party that runs the CA government is in cahoots with the unions and it's not a sexy topic. We seem to care so much about the poor Walmart workers, but no one ever talks about the fact that many union wages get bumped when the minimum wage does, and the unions are the loudest voices in the minimum wage argument.

I took out loans and spent time concurrently working a low-paying job and going to college in order to get a BA and better my situation. Subbing is another step on the way to full-time teaching. I'm not worried.

But why do we care so much about the Walmart worker and how the government should protect them, yet no one gives a shit about me? It's okay, I don't really want you guys to--I'm just making a point. But the government and unions are no better at caring about this than Walmart is. In fact, Walmart might be better.
    i think the easy answer is "why don't people care about you" is because being a sub leads to being a regular teacher and you have a teachers union to ensure your rights don't get trampled on at that point. A Walmart worker has so such straight line to a career. Not that I'm comparing a cashier to a teacher but since you raised the point.

Walmart (I'm guessing America's largest private employer) basically pays people the lowest wages legally allowed. It's sickening. A Walmart worker in Niagara Falls New York makes 7.25 an hour (min wage), the same worker in Niagara Falls Ontario makes 41% more. Both stores are making money I can assure you. Why does Walmart pay their American workers 41% less? Because they can.

If people are working full time and still living in poverty then don't be surprised when many of them choose to live on welfare and live in poverty but not have to worry about that working thing. Raising min wage and lowering welfare benefits would benefit most societies.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i think the easy answer is "why don't people care about you"

If people are working full time and still living in poverty then don't be surprised when many of them choose to live on welfare and live in poverty but not have to worry about that working thing. Raising min wage and lowering welfare benefits would benefit most societies.
    Wait until everyone is part time making minimum wage under Obama care. Let the riots begin!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Wait until everyone is part time making minimum wage under Obama care. Let the riots begin!
    giving everyone access to health care = good idea. that trainwreck of a law = bad idea.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

Riddle me this: If Wal Mart pays such low wages that people can't survive, how are other associates working at the same company able to donate? Kind of a conundrum isn't it? Especially when Wal-Mart itself is offering a Thanksgiving meal for $20?

If you do some research, you'll find this was put out by a local union group (one that has been trying to unionize Wal-Mart for decades). They don't say whether this is for employees who may have been sick and unable to work, or employees that have large medical bills, or just lost their full time job and haven't been able to get full time hours at Wal-Mart yet. No, they just post the picture and everyone has a knee jerk reaction to it--which is exactly what they want you to do.

It's a good thing we have unions that make sure everyone has a living wage....except that this union has done a yearly food drive for its own fellow union members who couldn't afford a Thanksgiving meal for their family.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

As for teacher pay here in the States, it does depend on where you teach, but for the most part union teachers are paid well above their private counterparts. For example, in my district, most elementary teachers make well above $50,000 a year. There are some making $70k+....and these are teachers, not administrators.

My wife, who has been teaching for 7 years and works for one of the largest Catholic schools in the area, makes $31k a year. No pension. No union benefits.

But you know what? Her kids do better time and again against the same ages in the public schools. Also, the cost per student at her school is about half what the public school figures.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Riddle me this: If Wal Mart pays such low wages that people can't survive, how are other associates working at the same company able to donate? Kind of a conundrum isn't it? Especially when Wal-Mart itself is offering a Thanksgiving meal for $20?

If you do some research, you'll find this was put out by a local union group (one that has been trying to unionize Wal-Mart for decades). They don't say whether this is for employees who may have been sick and unable to work, or employees that have large medical bills, or just lost their full time job and haven't been able to get full time hours at Wal-Mart yet. No, they just post the picture and everyone has a knee jerk reaction to it--which is exactly what they want you to do.

It's a good thing we have unions that make sure everyone has a living wage....except that this union has done a yearly food drive for its own fellow union members who couldn't afford a Thanksgiving meal for their family.
    no matter the reasons behind it, the issue remains the same.