Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:22 AM
    Liked 11,754 Times in 6,511 Posts

Premium Member

Default Roger Daltrey Slams Britain's Liberal Immigration Policy

Roger Daltrey Slams Liberal Immigration Policy which He Says Killed Jobs of his ‘Mates’

Lead singer of The Who Roger Daltrey has slammed the British Labor Party for its lax immigration policy which he says “destroyed the jobs of my mates”.

In a candid interview published this weekend in The Sunday Times magazine, Daltrey said he would never forgive the party which he used to support for welcoming the influx of immigrants, a policy he blames for the unemployment among Britain’s working class. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1339150.ece

“I will never, ever forgive the Labor party for allowing this mass immigration with no demands put on what people should be paid when they come to this country. I will never forgive them for destroying the jobs of my mates, because they allowed their jobs to be undercut with stupid thinking on Europe, letting them all in, so they can live 10 to a room, working for Polish wages,”
    Daltrey told the Sunday Times.

“I’ve got nothing against the Poles at all, but that was a political mistake and it made me very angry. And the people who get it in the neck are the immigrants, and it’s not their fault,” he said according to The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-policies.html

The vocalist and songwriter laid blame not only on the Labor Party, but also the European Union as a whole for its “detrimental” bureaucracy which he said he “can’t stand.”

The United Kingdom joined the European Union when it was established in 1993, but opted out of adopting the euro as its currency, with British public opinion firmly against abandoning the pound sterling. Joining the E.U. meant citizens of other member countries willing to accept lower wages could enter Britain to legally work.

Daltrey has previously expressed his opinion on immigration policy. According to the Daily Mail, in 2011 Daltrey said the last government left “the British working man screwed like he’d never been screwed before.”

Besides immigration policy, Daltrey also offered his opinion on the negative effects of Twitter and modern technology overall which he believes has taken the joy out of life.

“I find it really worrying that politicians tweet. That really worries the f*** out of me,” he said.

“They should be sitting there thinking about doing a good job rather than telling us what they had for breakfast or what color suit they’re wearing,” Daltrey added.

The Sunday Times interviewer described the 69-year-old’s cellphone as “a Nokia from the Jurassic pre-predictive text era, the sort, he happily admits, you’d see on the Antiques Roadshow.”

Despite the advances in modern technology, “we’re just busy doing nothing now,” Daltrey lamented. “We’ve got no time to contemplate, no time to dream.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-mates/:devil:
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Roger Daltrey Slams Liberal Immigration Policy which He Says Killed Jobs of his ‘Mates’

Lead singer of The Who Roger Daltrey has slammed the British Labor Party for its lax immigration policy which he says “destroyed the jobs of my mates”.

In a candid interview published this weekend in The Sunday Times magazine, Daltrey said he would never forgive the party which he used to support for welcoming the influx of immigrants, a policy he blames for the unemployment among Britain’s working class. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1339150.ece

“I will never, ever forgive the Labor party for allowing this mass immigration with no demands put on what people should be paid when they come to this country. I will never forgive them for destroying the jobs of my mates, because they allowed their jobs to be undercut with stupid thinking on Europe, letting them all in, so they can live 10 to a room, working for Polish wages,”
    Daltrey told the Sunday Times.

“I’ve got nothing against the Poles at all, but that was a political mistake and it made me very angry. And the people who get it in the neck are the immigrants, and it’s not their fault,” he said according to The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-policies.html

The vocalist and songwriter laid blame not only on the Labor Party, but also the European Union as a whole for its “detrimental” bureaucracy which he said he “can’t stand.”

The United Kingdom joined the European Union when it was established in 1993, but opted out of adopting the euro as its currency, with British public opinion firmly against abandoning the pound sterling. Joining the E.U. meant citizens of other member countries willing to accept lower wages could enter Britain to legally work.

Daltrey has previously expressed his opinion on immigration policy. According to the Daily Mail, in 2011 Daltrey said the last government left “the British working man screwed like he’d never been screwed before.”

Besides immigration policy, Daltrey also offered his opinion on the negative effects of Twitter and modern technology overall which he believes has taken the joy out of life.

“I find it really worrying that politicians tweet. That really worries the f*** out of me,” he said.

“They should be sitting there thinking about doing a good job rather than telling us what they had for breakfast or what color suit they’re wearing,” Daltrey added.

The Sunday Times interviewer described the 69-year-old’s cellphone as “a Nokia from the Jurassic pre-predictive text era, the sort, he happily admits, you’d see on the Antiques Roadshow.”

Despite the advances in modern technology, “we’re just busy doing nothing now,” Daltrey lamented. “We’ve got no time to contemplate, no time to dream.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-mates/:devil:
    He needs to button his shirt. Jeez.

TK

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Come to California, mate.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    He needs to button his shirt. Jeez.

TK
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Apologies for the long-winded post - this is a complex issue, and one about which I feel pretty strongly!

Generally speaking, he has a good point, and I agree with much of what he's saying. However, he does get a few crucial facts wrong, which undermines the central tenet of his argument to a certain extent.

Firstly, it was the CONSERVATIVE (right-wing) party, (under Edward Heath), not the Labour Party that took us into Europe (called, at the time, the European Economic Community), opening us up to mass immigration from the continent.

Unfortunately, once we had signed up to that entity, we had to abide by its rules - and yes, that meant (and still does) allowing free movement across national borders and access into our country, ostensibly to take up employment. However, it is worth noting that the same rules apply to British citizens, many of whom have chosen to emigrate to France, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc, to live and work.

The problem has been compounded of late by the fact that more and more eastern European nations have been allowed entry to what is now known as the EU (European Union). And as Mr Daltrey has commented, they are willing to work for far lower salaries (which they send back to their families at home), whilst subsisting on UK benefits - to which, as European citizens, they are entitled. The problem is two-fold, because, on the whole, the immigration process is not reciprocal and, generally speaking, British people do not want to live in countries such as Poland, Bulgaria and Romania.

On a more personal basis, the thing that troubles me more than anything, is that whilst politicians have, ostensibly, been forced to admit European citizens, they have also been bombarded with criticism for doing so. Their solution to the problem? Make it ridiculously difficult, if not impossible, for people outside of Europe to live and work in the UK - I'm talking about Americans, Canadians, Australians (the latter two of which are supposed to be members of the Commonwealth, of which the British Queen is the head, and should, by all accounts be more than welcome within our borders!)

It is now far easier for me to gain access to the USA than vice versa. To put it in simplistic terms, it matters naught if the prospective immigrant to the UK is offered a job paying £100,000 (approximately $165,000), is married to a British citizen, or has children with them; it depends entirely on the earnings and savings of the resident. As it stands, the salary demands are considerably higher than the average wage, and the amount of savings required is £65,000 (about $100,000). If you own your property outright, then you are expected to mortgage it or sell it, in order to have the appropriate level of finances in the bank. As you can imagine, this puts the prospect of permanent residence in the UK out of reach for the vast majority of non-European citizens.

All is not lost, however. A relatively new political party called the UK Independence Party has gained considerable traction and popularity of late. Virtually their sole agenda is for us to come out of Europe. As a consequence, the main parties are now sitting up and listening, and have promised a public referendum on the issue in the very near future. They have no choice, as resentment about this issue is now so pronounced (as evidenced by Mr Daltrey), that to ignore it will be an almost definite Election-loser. So...We shall see!
    Last edited by dibblekins; 11.18.13 at 07:50 AM.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Apologies for the long-winded post - this is a complex issue, and one about which I feel pretty strongly!

Generally speaking, he has a good point, and I agree with much of what he's saying. However, he does get a few crucial facts wrong, which undermines the central tenet of his argument to a certain extent.

Firstly, it was the CONSERVATIVE (right-wing) party, (under Edward Heath), not the Labour Party that took us into Europe (called, at the time, the European Economic Community), opening us up to mass immigration from the continent.

Unfortunately, once we had signed up to that entity, we had to abide by its rules - and yes, that meant (and still does) allowing free movement across national borders and access into our country, ostensibly to take up employment. However, it is worth noting that the same rules apply to British citizens, many of whom have chosen to emigrate to France, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc, to live and work.

The problem has been compounded of late by the fact that more and more eastern European nations have been allowed entry to what is now known as the EU (European Union). And as Mr Daltrey has commented, they are willing to work for far lower salaries (which they send back to their families at home), whilst subsisting on UK benefits - to which, as European citizens, they are entitled. The problem is two-fold, because, on the whole, the immigration process is not reciprocal and, generally speaking, British people do not want to live in countries such as Poland, Bulgaria and Romania.

On a more personal basis, the thing that troubles me more than anything, is that whilst politicians have, ostensibly, been forced to admit European citizens, they have also been bombarded with criticism for doing so. Their solution to the problem? Make it ridiculously difficult, if not impossible, for people outside of Europe to live and work in the UK - I'm talking about Americans, Canadians, Australians (the latter two of which are supposed to be members of the Commonwealth, of which the British Queen is the head, and should, by all accounts be more than welcome within our borders!)

It is now far easier for me to gain access to the USA than vice versa. To put it in simplistic terms, it matters naught if the prospective immigrant to the UK is offered a job paying £100,000 (approximately $165,000), is married to a British citizen, or has children with them; it depends entirely on the earnings and savings of the resident. As it stands, the salary demands are considerably higher than the average wage, and the amount of savings required is £65,000 (about $100,000). If you own your property outright, then you are expected to mortgage it or sell it, in order to have the appropriate level of finances in the bank. As you can imagine, this puts the prospect of permanent residence in the UK out of reach for the vast majority of non-European citizens.

All is not lost, however. A relatively new political party called the UK Independence Party has gained considerable traction and popularity of late. Virtually their sole agenda is for us to come out of Europe. As a consequence, the main parties are now sitting up and listening, and have promised a public referendum on the issue in the very near future. They have no choice, as resentment about this issue is now so pronounced (as evidenced by Mr Daltrey), that to ignore it will be an almost definite Election-loser. So...We shall see!
    You're right in that the problem is very complex. One thing that people (and the tabloids) forget, is that the vast majority of immigrants to the UK only stay for a year or two, and then go home. Though it is changing, the disparity between English wages and, say, Polish wages, is still fairly large. I knew many people from the old Eastern bloc who were in England just to earn and save enough money to go home and, for example, buy a flat or start a business.

One problem that is obvious is that wages have been driven down in many sectors because an immigrant from Poland is willing to work for lower wages than a Brit. Employers, therefore, want them, plus the fact that most Poles are much better workers than most Brits - It is true.

I think the biggest issue is that the EU has expanded too rapidly, with far poorer countries joining as the process has accelerated. No-one in their right mind can claim that Rumania and Germany are economically equal. It stands to reason that so many people from the poorer countries will emigrate to go where a better standard of living awaits them.

The genie is out of the bottle now. The big worry I have is of increasingly nationalistic or even xenophobic thinking becoming more mainstream. It won't do anyone any good, but the far right is on the rise in Europe. Every country has at least one political party like this and they are gaining traction, pushed on by the grim unemployment figures, as always.

From a personal standpoint, free movement in the EU has been good for me. It has been easy for me to live and work in Spain, Poland and Germany (amongst others), but I have never claimed any kind of benefit in any of them. I think that that is a big issue. Immigrants are not permitted to claim benefits until they have been resident and paying tax for at least a few years. It might at least deter the freeloaders.

The whole thing is too difficult now, though. I doubt there is any one solution to any problems involved with mass immigration, and the only hope is that somehow the economies of the EU improve quickly.

I hear you on the UK-US immigration issue, Dibblekins. It also works the other way. My father has been married to an American for twenty plus years, and when they decided to return to California, her home state, my father was in a weird legal limbo for quite some time. From what I remember, he had to stay in the country, but was not allowed to work, until his green card was issued, and I think that took over a year or more.

Like I said, no easy answer.
    Last edited by graeme; 11.18.13 at 08:17 AM.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Agree with all of that, Graeme.

As to the xenophobia / far-right movement...Like you, I see it as a worrying, even frightening, trend - but, in a way, it's understandable. People are getting aggrieved at the piss-poor economy; seeing Johnny-Foreigner getting ahead in the job-queue, the housing-queue, and the health-care queue isn't helping any.

(I won't bore you with my evidence for the latter on that list, but I have a number of anecdotes from friends within the midwifery service that'd make your hair stand on end!)

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Agree with all of that, Graeme.

As to the xenophobia / far-right movement...Like you, I see it as a worrying, even frightening, trend - but, in a way, it's understandable. People are getting aggrieved at the piss-poor economy; seeing Johnny-Foreigner getting ahead in the job-queue, the housing-queue, and the health-care queue isn't helping any.

(I won't bore you with my evidence for the latter on that list, but I have a number of anecdotes from friends within the midwifery service that'd make your hair stand on end!)
    The far right always does better when times are hard. People need someone to blame, and it is easier to accuse an immigrant than actually look at the system we are living under.

I left the UK in 2001, though I returned for a few years, 2005-08. I can't see what would drag me back. The gulf between rich and poor is now so big it is unreal. I read somewhere that parts of the UK now have child poverty rates of 25% and more. In a top ten, richest country in the world, those kinds of figures are disgraceful.

For all its faults, Germany is just a better country to live in. Whilst there is still poverty, there is much less of it and it is far less evident where it is, yet Germany has a pretty high rate of immigration too. I don't know enough about the system here, but it seems to be working a lot better than in the UK.

That said, a lot of Germans complain about it as well.

Difficult times for Europe, that is for sure. Next stop, SE Asia.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    The far right always does better when times are hard. People need someone to blame, and it is easier to accuse an immigrant than actually look at the system we are living under.

I left the UK in 2001, though I returned for a few years, 2005-08. I can't see what would drag me back. The gulf between rich and poor is now so big it is unreal. I read somewhere that parts of the UK now have child poverty rates of 25% and more. In a top ten, richest country in the world, those kinds of figures are disgraceful.

For all its faults, Germany is just a better country to live in. Whilst there is still poverty, there is much less of it and it is far less evident where it is, yet Germany has a pretty high rate of immigration too. I don't know enough about the system here, but it seems to be working a lot better than in the UK.

That said, a lot of Germans complain about it as well.

Difficult times for Europe, that is for sure. Next stop, SE Asia.
    I believe you...Things aren't looking good over here, right now...I don't think having a bunch of ignorant, elitist, 'career-politicians' helps, to be honest. They haven't got a bloody clue how the other half live - those of us who don't spend our extensive summer holidays on billionaires' yachts, that is.

I've always rather fancied emigrating to some isolated tropical island...Maybe now's the time, I dunno...

Thatcher, 1980

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I've always rather fancied emigrating to some isolated tropical island...Maybe now's the time, I dunno...
    Sorry, but you can't go there. Their immigration policy won't let you in.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:22 AM
    Liked 11,754 Times in 6,511 Posts

Premium Member

UK PM WANTS TO STRIP BENEFITS FROM IMMIGRANTS WHO DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH

United Kingdom Prime Minister David Cameron wants to stop providing benefits to immigrants who do not speak English. He wants to cut the country's welfare expenditures.

The Prime Minister reportedly wants to stop printing welfare literature in foreign languages and prevent claimants using taxpayer-funded translators at benefits offices.

It is hoped the scrapping of foreign-language documentation explaining how to claim benefits will make it harder for immigrants to make use of the UK’s benefits system, while encouraging those already in the country to learn English. The measures would also save the money spent on translators.

Here is the financial breakdown:

Latest figures show the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) spends £5 million on language services a year. The vast majority, £4.5 million, is spent on face-to-face and telephone help, with £415,000 more on ‘document translation’.

The DWP used interpreters 271,695 times in the space of one year to assist foreign claimants, statistics released under the Freedom of Information Act show. Most of the money is paid to The Big Word, Britain’s biggest language services firm, which received £3.5 million in public money during 2011.

The plan was going to be announced on January 20, but Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg disagrees with the it. Despite this, Tory sources told The Daily Mail they believe it will pass if they can win over the Liberal Democrats. Former Defense Secretary Liam Fox said the plan has to be presented in a inoffensive way:

If it is, it will meet with general public approval. The ability to speak English is one of the most empowering tools in the labour market and we should be encouraging as many people as possible to learn it.

On January 1, Britain lifted restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians to work in the country; one of the conditions included they prove they understand English. They did pass laws to stop immigrants from claiming unemployment the minute they step into the UK and must provide a certificate that confirms their employment. No one will receive social benefits in the first six months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...anslators.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...k-English.html

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...-Speak-English
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 01.20.14 at 12:22 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

The only legal way for him to do it though is to remove us from the EU altogether - and no-one is entirely sure if that's a good or bad idea. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get any non-partisan information on the topic.

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

Roger Daltrey also said: "I hope I die, before I get old!"
    Little Dreamer