Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:19 AM
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts

Premium Member

Default Trailer for the movie "Noah" starring Russell Crowe and Anthony Hopkins

Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Nice... might have to think about seeing this one in the theatre...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 11,749 Times in 6,507 Posts

Premium Member

I'm hoping the issues between Paramount and Aronofsky were settled. The trailer looks great.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Definitely a big screen visit for this one. Do not believe regular tv size would do it justice
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:32 AM
    Liked 3,111 Times in 1,822 Posts

Premium Member

Apparently, three different showings--one in NY for a Jewish audience, one in AZ for a Christian audience, and one in Orange County, CA for a general audience--did not go well, prompting the studio to try and wrestle final cut from Aronofsky.

One Christian screenwriter saw a script and said that it's a bit of an allegory for global warming, as God is punishing humans for "disrespecting" the Earth.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Apparently, three different showings--one in NY for a Jewish audience, one in AZ for a Christian audience, and one in Orange County, CA for a general audience--did not go well, prompting the studio to try and wrestle final cut from Aronofsky.

One Christian screenwriter saw a script and said that it's a bit of an allegory for global warming, as God is punishing humans for "disrespecting" the Earth.
    Where did you hear this?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ar-noah-648777

and

http://godawa.com/movieblog/darren-a...ntalist-wacko/

With the second link, the guy goes into detail about the entire script, so I wouldn't read too far if you don't want potential spoilers.

He finishes by saying, "This movie will be rejected by millions of devoted Bible readers worldwide because once again it subverts their own sacred narrative with a political agenda of pagan earth religion that is offensive to their Faith."

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Darren Aronofsky’s ‘Noah’ Attracts Controversy During Test Screenings

Where did you hear this?

When you adapt a Bible story for the big screen, you’re just asking for trouble, and Darren Aronofsky has already courted his fair share with his graphic novel-turned movie project, Noah. The Black Swan director’s vision of the Noah’s Ark story features Russell Crowe as the eponymous prophet, who believes that his visions of an impending apocalyptic flood are a message from God – and thus, begins to construct an enormous ship, in order to protect his family and as many living creatures as possible.

Paramount has started test screening Noah, by showing different cuts of the film to audiences so as to determine which one is best received (read: most commercially viable). The religious tentpole is reported to have climbed past its original $125 million budget, so Aronofsky is having to deal with more studio feedback than he’s accustomed to, seeing how his previous features have all been pretty low on the professional film budget scale (with the exception of The Fountain, which still cost “just” $35 million to make).

The current problems facing Noah are described by THR as follows:

In recent weeks, the studio has held test screenings for key groups that might take a strong interest in the subject matter: in New York (for a largely Jewish audience), in Arizona (Christians) and in Orange County, Calif. (general public). All are said to have generated troubling reactions. But sources say Aronofsky has been resistant to Paramount’s suggested changes. “Darren is not made for studio films,” says a talent rep with ties to the project. “He’s very dismissive. He doesn’t care about [Paramount's] opinion.”

Aronofsky is definitely aiming to put his own creative stamp on the material, having described Noah as “the first environmentalist (as in, the first person to recognize the importance of caring for the world created for humanity by God) and planned a vision of the story that includes beings like giant six-armed angels and fantastical animals unlike any in existence today. The setting of Aronofsky and Ari Handel’s Noah graphic novel (the basis for the film) can be described as savage and Mad Max-ish, with years of human barbarism and warfare having ravaged the landscape, even before the the time of a terrible drought.

The artistic challenges that come with realizing such a world have already been documented, most recently in an interview where Aronofsky revealed that the CGI animals designed for Noah are the most complex digital shots rendered by ILM to date. However, as passionate as the filmmaker’s vision for the project appears to be, that doesn’t guarantee that others will be so taken with his re-interpretation of the Noah’s Ark story, as THR notes in its write-up:

Beyond the visuals, a major challenge has been coming up with an exciting third act that doesn’t alienate the potentially huge Christian audience (in the Bible, Noah and the ark’s inhabitants survive the flood that destroys the Earth). Some in the faith community already have expressed skepticism about the result, especially after writer Brian Godawa in October 2012 obtained a version of the Noah script and posted his summary online under the heading, “Darren Aronofsky’s Noah: Environmentalist Wacko.”…

Admittedly, there’s something deliciously meta about all this, with Aronofsky’s plans having been heavily scrutinized by the doubtful religious community looking onwards as the project develops. It parallels how Noah, in the movie, faces much in the way of skepticism from his peers (including, Ray Winstone’s character), who question whether the protagonist’s visions and behavior are those of a faithful servant of God… or a disillusioned madman, who’s been given too much leeway.

There’s certainly an audience that will be interested to see how Aronofsky breathes new life into the Noah’s Ark story, more so because it’s clear that he is strongly committed to making the film a success; as a result, ensuring that the Biblical epic should feel like the handiwork of an auteur, not a soulless Hollywood effects-heavy tentpole. Whether or not it’s respectful of the Bible source material, is a discussion better saved for later (i.e. when the film is no longer a work-in-progress and ready for critiquing).

On the other hand, you can see where Paramount is coming from, since the studio has already invested heavily in letting Aronofsky maintain his artistic integrity with Noah, despite the chance that it could push away the sizable Christian audience (see: the box office returns for The Passion of the Christ and huge ratings success of The History Channel’s The Bible mini-series-turned upcoming theatrical release Son of God, for the proof of that).

Still, at this stage, Paramount attempting to make the film easier-to-swallow for moviegoers might be too little, too late, lest the studio end up sacrificing the cohesiveness of Aronofsky’s vision and turning the film into a Frankenstein job like the recent expensive summer blockbusters World War Z and The Lone Ranger. Indeed, the vast difference in those films’ box office returns just goes to show: you can never be too sure about how things will work out in the end.

http://screenrant.com/darren-aronofs...sy-discussion/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:35 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I'm still interested in seeing it, though I would be interested in a straight-up telling of the biblical version.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ar-noah-648777

and

http://godawa.com/movieblog/darren-a...ntalist-wacko/

With the second link, the guy goes into detail about the entire script, so I wouldn't read too far if you don't want potential spoilers.

He finishes by saying, "This movie will be rejected by millions of devoted Bible readers worldwide because once again it subverts their own sacred narrative with a political agenda of pagan earth religion that is offensive to their Faith."
    That doesn't bother me. But it's funny that conservatives can be against political correctness... But don't don't let anyone go against their religion!

It would be funny if the rebellious conservatives with the "thick skin" got mad about this.

Everyone has thick skin until something hits close to home.

Although, a Global Warming spin is kind of a yawner for me.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.18.13 at 11:36 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

That doesn't bother me. But it's funny that conservatives can be against political correctness... But don't don't let anyone go against their religion!

It would be funny if the rebellious conservatives with the "thick skin" got mad about this.
    This is religion we're talking about, not some BS pc issue. You can't just take Noah and turn him into something he isn't. The story has nothing to do with global warming or environmentalism. I understand why the studio is upset with what he did.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    This is religion we're talking about, not some BS pc issue. You can't just take Noah and turn him into something he isn't. The story has nothing to do with global warming or environmentalism. I understand why the studio is upset with what he did.
    It's a fictional movie. A lot of people consider JFK to be inaccurate but they still love the movie.

More than likely this will come out to be a generic blockbuster movie now.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.18.13 at 11:41 AM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Everyone has thick skin until something hits close to home.
    There are Christians on both sides of the aisle, right? I think it would be legitimate for bible readers to question someone taking liberties with a biblical story, but in the end it shouldn't be a big deal. If someone is that offended, that is on them, not Aronofsky.

That said, I'm an atheist, and I will be interested in this film if it is good. However, if it is going to beat me over the head with global warming, no thanks.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

There are Christians on both sides of the aisle, right? I think it would be legitimate for bible readers to question someone taking liberties with a biblical story.

That said, I'm an atheist, and I will be interested in this film if it is good. However, if it is going to beat me over the head with global warming, no thanks.
    It's just that many conservatives portray themselves as thick skinned and afraid of nothing, and they want to get rid of this horrible PC society that we live in. Nothing should be off limits.

Really though... Interference can go either way... Jack Warner hated Bonnie & Clyde and Beatty had to beg to him to give the movie a release. I'm sure there are movies where interference helped.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 6,827 Times in 3,569 Posts

Premium Member

The movie is based on Aronofsky's graphic novel, not the Bible. The sooner people realize that, the sooner they can decide if they should bother seeing it or not... and not decide what anybody else might like to see.