Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Bill Maher to Boston: 'Your city was not leveled by Godzilla'

On the Friday broadcast of HBO's Real Time, host Bill Maher was speaking with guest Anthony Weiner when he brought up the Red Sox World Series parade and the moment when the trophy -- or as he calls it statue -- was placed on the Boston Marathon finish line when the parade stopped briefly for a somber ceremony to commemorate the Boston Marathon tragedy on April 15.

Red Sox players Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia demonstrated the special bond between the team and the city when placed the trophy on the finish line, which is still painted, and then draped a "Boston Strong 617" jersey over the trophy.

The song “God Bless America” was piped over loudspeakers as fans, players, and Marathon survivors sang along.

Fast forward to Friday's episode of Real Time when Mahar -- who is no stranger to controversy -- brings up the Red Sox trophy ceremony at the finish line as seen in the video above.

"I also saw, so the Red Sox won the World Series, congratulations Red Sox," Maher said to Weiner. "So the parade, they go to the place where the marathon bombing took place, they put the World Series statue there and they sing God Bless America and they say 'Boston strong' and they chant 'USA,' you know. It was again, a bad day, three people died, that's terrible. More were maimed, that's horrible, but unfortunately that happens every day, in car accidents and everything else. I mean, you city was not leveled by Godzilla."

To which Anthony Weiner, to his credit, replied: "I don't know... such a nice moment, what's wrong with you?"
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Maher sure has a lot of bottled up anger.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

another video confirming that Bill Maher is an ass.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Eh, I watched that episode. As I was watching it, I was trying to figure out why he even brought this up to begin with. I think I understood what he was trying to say, but it came out so wrong and he was stupid to even bring it up in the first place. There was really no reason to even criticize what the people in Boston did as part of their World Series celebration.

He's just another idiot with a microphone.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

dudes an asshole
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

when Anthony Weiner is able to call you out, you might as well just stamp "douche" across your forehead!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

I consider myself a fan of Maher.....but that was just a pure and utter dickhead, asshole, cunt thing to say.

New York wasnt levelled by Godzilla on 9/11 either and only 3,000 people died....more people die per year due to health problems and more people are probably dead in the Phillipines due to one typhoon.....so what's the big deal with 9/11?.....

"Again...it was a bad day....." Im not even a Bostonian or American yet if I was in a bar and I heard somebody refer to that terrorist bombing as a "bad day...." in the way Maher did, Id wanna introduce him to Tom O'Leary and Jack Johnson.

Fuck. Even Maher's audience was wondering, "Ummm...what the fuck are you saying, Bill?..."

Just a heartless, careless and cunttwat thing to say.
    Last edited by MF5150; 11.14.13 at 08:10 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Dumb statement by Maher. Plain and simple.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

On the Friday broadcast of HBO's Real Time, host Bill Maher was speaking with guest Anthony Weiner when he brought up the Red Sox World Series parade and the moment when the trophy -- or as he calls it statue -- was placed on the Boston Marathon finish line when the parade stopped briefly for a somber ceremony to commemorate the Boston Marathon tragedy on April 15.

Red Sox players Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia demonstrated the special bond between the team and the city when placed the trophy on the finish line, which is still painted, and then draped a "Boston Strong 617" jersey over the trophy.

The song “God Bless America” was piped over loudspeakers as fans, players, and Marathon survivors sang along.

Fast forward to Friday's episode of Real Time when Mahar -- who is no stranger to controversy -- brings up the Red Sox trophy ceremony at the finish line as seen in the video above.

"I also saw, so the Red Sox won the World Series, congratulations Red Sox," Maher said to Weiner. "So the parade, they go to the place where the marathon bombing took place, they put the World Series statue there and they sing God Bless America and they say 'Boston strong' and they chant 'USA,' you know. It was again, a bad day, three people died, that's terrible. More were maimed, that's horrible, but unfortunately that happens every day, in car accidents and everything else. I mean, you city was not leveled by Godzilla."

To which Anthony Weiner, to his credit, replied: "I don't know... such a nice moment, what's wrong with you?"
    Can't this guy just die already?
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:29 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Here's my problem with stuff like this. I honestly don't care if Maher says something stupid. I am smart enough to find something someone says either interesting or dumb.

Look, sometimes Maher fights a good fight. It wasn't too long ago when he went toe-to-toe with the panel and especially Tavis Smiley. Maher was making the point that we are better with gender equality than Muslim countries. Smiley and the panel fought back on that under this idea that if you're not 100%, you're just as bad as them. Well that's fuckin' stupid, and I am glad he will stand up and say it.

Rush Limbaugh got all kinds of shit for what he did to Sandra Fluke. But Ed Schultz calls Laura Ingraham a "right wing slut," and no one cares.

Maher calls Sarah Palin a "cunt" in his act, but he says it is okay when he does it, but not okay when Limbaugh attacks women.

Usually the defense I hear is that the people on the left saying these things are being truthful, so it's okay.

What's my point? If Limbaugh said this, the left would be going crazy. Instead, you'll only hear Fox News talk about this and it will go away.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Bill Maher to the World, Look at me, Look at Me. I'm as witty as Jon Stewart. Why doesn't everybody love me.

Hey Bill, GO FUCK YOURSELF AND DIE ALREADY.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Dumb statement by Maher. Plain and simple.
    dumb and incredibly insensitive

The Boston Marathon is a big family day, and the Red Sox have long been a rallying post for the people of Boston. When Big Papi says "this is our f'n city" that city believes him and for the Red Sox and the city of Boston to use the championship as a way to say that the city will persevere is totally appropriate.

it doesn't matter how many people were killed or injured, it's simply a blessing that more were not killed, it's about someone attacking at the heart of what a city finds pride in and that city standing up and saying that they are unbowed by the act of terrorism committed against them

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Bill Maher is a douchebag. He's an asshole. He's a tool. Yeah, he wants to be Jon Stewart. He also has a point.

The reflexive emotion we show in certain situations (see anthem thread) can get a little creepy. And it's very selective. The Boston Marathon bombing is just our latest quasi-patriotic totem. Even the reaction in the immediate aftermath seemed a little hyperemotional to me. All my neighbors were buying shirts and shit.

Nothing wrong with marking the anniversary, of course. But this whole deal has definitely been out of proportion to other equally tragic events.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Fuck Bill Maher.....NEVER show your face in Boston again. You'll be walking in, but limping out.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:29 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Bill Maher is a douchebag. He's an asshole. He's a tool. Yeah, he wants to be Jon Stewart. He also has a point.

The reflexive emotion we show in certain situations (see anthem thread) can get a little creepy. And it's very selective. The Boston Marathon bombing is just our latest quasi-patriotic totem. Even the reaction in the immediate aftermath seemed a little hyperemotional to me. All my neighbors were buying shirts and shit.

Nothing wrong with marking the anniversary, of course. But this whole deal has definitely been out of proportion to other equally tragic events.

TK
    I think more to the point, I don't understand why people let Bill Maher have so much power over them. He can say some really dumb stuff. But he is also one of the few talking heads on the left (he is not a Libertarian) who stands up to some of the REALLY bullshit things they say. People are complicated.

I think Ricky Gervais said it best when he answered critics and said that offense is taken, not given. Why does this not offend me? Because I don't let it. There are too many other things to be outraged about. The Boston bombing was horrific, and out of context I am not sure why Bill chose to make this statement, but whether context matters wouldn't change how I feel about it.

To me, more offensive things are said on MSNBC everyday than in a year by Bill Maher. Michael Dyson said yesterday that when it comes to anyone other than enlightened liberals, it's still illegal to be "breathing while Black" (he was talking about Renisha McBride) and that it is "open season" still in this country on Blacks. Martin Bashir's show is more offensive than Bill Maher. It's just more subtle, though it is more insidious.