Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default If You Like Your Food, You Can Keep Your Food

FDA is considering a ban on trans fat in foods. Like incandescent bulbs and cheap free market health insurance, margarine may become one of those things that you can no longer buy anymore.

The price of a pound of potatoes has gone up by a third, the price of a gallon of milk has increased by a fifth and the price of a 5lb bag of flour has gone up by a dollar.

Five years ago bacon was at $3.60 a lb, itís now up to $5.60 a lb. The price of a whole frozen Thanksgiving turkey was at $1.32 a lb. Itís up to $1.81 giving Americans that much less to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

The price of a tub of margarine went up from $1.50 to $2.10. But that wonít be a problem for long because thanks to the FDA it may soon become hard to get margarine at any price.

It will also mean that many other foods will either be banned, become more expensive or taste worse.

The FDA had already mandated trans fat labeling on products. The new ban would not protect anyone; instead it would take away the right of Americans to choose what they eat. Under the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906, the FDA was created to prevent ďthe manufacture, sale, or transportation of adulterated or misbranded or poisonous or deleterious foods, drugs, medicines, and liquors.Ē

Its claim that trans fat in foods make them adulterated is a deliberate misinterpretation of its powers.

The FDAís food policing powers do not give it the right to ban unhealthy foods. If they did, the FDA could outlaw every kind of junk food. And it has begun doing that with its argument that trans fats are unsafe because they are unhealthy; building up plaque in arteries and increasing the risk of heart attacks.

Hereís a short list of foods that build up plaque in arteries and increase the risk of heart attacks.

Milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, hot dogs, salami, French fries and eggs. The FDA has given itself the authority to ban everything from a glass of milk to a carton of eggs. And thatís not an exaggeration.

Last year a new study came out whose author claimed that eating eggs was as bad for the heart as smoking cigarettes, compared the egg industry to the tobacco industry and was followed by suggestions that egg cartons should carry health warnings like tobacco cartons.

Every time you see another one of those contradictory health warning stories, imagine that they can lead to a ban on everything from wine to chocolate to eggs.

Bloomberg, who pushed through a trans fats ban in 2006, is celebrating that Obama has caught up to him. The question is which element of Bloombergís food fascism will Obama adopt next? Will it be his ban on salt or on large sodas?

Many of the largest junk food companies are as cheerful about the ban as Bloomberg.

The ban on trans foods will make everything from doughnuts to popcorn to cookies taste worse. Thatís bad news for working moms who like their frozen pizzas, movie lovers who like their microwave popcorn and Vegans and Kosher Jews who use margarine instead of butter in their cooking.

But it is good news for big food companies which have the cash to sink into R&D for new techniques; some of which may even be patentable. Smaller manufacturers will be squeezed out as their doughnuts suddenly start tasting oily and consumers switch to the big budget brands which become the only game in town.

In the age of Obama, rent seeking is one of the most effective ways to compete. Regulatory barriers favor big companies over small ones. The Grocery Manufacturers Association, which is spending a lot of money to fight genetically modified foods labeling, cheerfully welcomed the trans fat ban. The GMA wouldnít be doing that if it werenít profitable

GMA members welcomed Michelle Obamaís call for ďhealthier foodĒ with a standing ovation at their convention; understanding the competitive advantages that added regulatory barriers would bring. The big companies have already slashed trans fats in preparation for what they no doubt knew was coming. Now they get to watch their smaller competitors desperately scramble to hold on to their customers.

The products of the smaller local manufacturers may even be healthier overall, but health has nothing to do with this. Like everything that this government does; itís about power. The power to move money out of less politically connected pockets into more politically connected pockets.

The FDA is making an aggressive power grab into an area that most people pay very little attention to. Bloomberg started with trans fats before moving on to more familiar targets like soda and salt. If the FDA succeeds in banning a food because it clogs up arteries, it will pave the way for unlimited bans. And those bans will also serve the interests of crony capitalist food firms with ties to the Democratic Party.

All this would be bad enough in a healthy economy, but when American families are already worrying about how to put food on the table; itís downright criminal.

Marie Antoinette at least allowed the peasants to eat cake; if they could find it. Barack Obama isnít just starving Americans of food money with his economic policies; he is now taking food out of their mouths.

The price of a frozen pizza went up by 33% under Obama. Now due to his trans fat ban, it will increase even more and taste worse.

That may be Obamaís legacy. That he made Americans poorer and worse off, forced them to spend more and get less for their money. That he deprived Americans of every basic necessity, made it more expensive for them to drive to work, to see a doctor and to eat a meal.

And when they did sit down at a table to eat; Obama even made the food in their mouths taste worse.

During the Great Depression, Herbert Hoover campaigned on a promise of a chicken in every pot. During his own economic depression, Obama celebrated Thanksgiving by signing a bill legalizing the slaughter of horses for human consumption. According to nutrition experts, horse meat is healthier than beef.

Forget your hot dogs, doughnuts and popcorn. Start eating your horse.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

first of all we allow too much crap and chemicals in our food as it is.....so many to preserve the food...do you think these preservatives are put in there to make sure that you get healthful, fresh food? Nope, they're put in there to make the product last longer so that it can be shipped and stored and sold for a longer period to benefit the bottom line of the food manufacturer

and don't get me started on horse meat...more healthful than beef? nope...these horses that are being slaughtered were never raised for food. They were race horses and work horses and family pets. They were given God knows what medications in their lifetimes for God knows what malady

and when they are no longer useful, these intelligent creatures are rounded up and slaughtered.

our food manufacturing here is pretty shameful, and I don't think anyone is going to be harmed by eliminating trans fats and many of us will be healthier for it in the long run

and voivod....I assume you didn't write and research this yourself so when you cut and paste these things you really need to site your sources because this appears to be another bashing article and it would be nice to know the agenda behind the writer

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

Just as an aside, I like some of the stuff Voivod posts, though I would love to hear his opinion more often, but I agree with Daisy--could you put the links in when you post stuff? I have a nasty habit of linking and getting an idea of what is going on with the article. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    first of all we allow too much crap and chemicals in our food as it is.....so many to preserve the food...do you think these preservatives are put in there to make sure that you get healthful, fresh food? Nope, they're put in there to make the product last longer so that it can be shipped and stored and sold for a longer period to benefit the bottom line of the food manufacturer

and don't get me started on horse meat...more healthful than beef? nope...these horses that are being slaughtered were never raised for food. They were race horses and work horses and family pets. They were given God knows what medications in their lifetimes for God knows what malady

and when they are no longer useful, these intelligent creatures are rounded up and slaughtered.

our food manufacturing here is pretty shameful, and I don't think anyone is going to be harmed by eliminating trans fats and many of us will be healthier for it in the long run

and voivod....I assume you didn't write and research this yourself so when you cut and paste these things you really need to site your sources because this appears to be another bashing article and it would be nice to know the agenda behind the writer
    I think this just feels like another piece of an overarching problem: chiseling away at what we can and cannot do. We have candy bans in places, New York tried to ban sodas over 16 oz., you pretty much can't smoke outdoors now...I could go on; I'm sure you get my point.

There's a consensus that trans fat isn't good for you, but there is a lot of stuff that isn't good for you. And the even bigger problem is that the government has a history of changing what is and what isn't good for you. Look at the history of eggs. I'm not even sure if the government currently says they are good or bad for me. And there is an argument out there that, in the early '80s when the government told us not to eat meat and dairy because it makes you fat, people switched to a more carb-based diet and that has actually made things worse. There are people in good shape with low cholesterol and low blood pressure who like the flavor trans fat brings and I just don't understand why, because it might hurt someone, that we have to eliminate that choice for people whom it is not harming.

Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is kind of the group that spearheaded this, first going after restaurants individually, then NY, then CA, then the feds. But CSPI is who made the push for restaurants to move to trans fats in 1988!

When most major restaurants were providing nutrition facts in their stores and online, it was easy for me to figure out what I was ingesting. I distinctly remember walking to the sign in Carl's Jr. and adding up what I wanted. Now, because of law, I look at the menu and it tells me I am ingesting "450-1100 cal." Great. Really helpful.

My argument, granted from a libertarian perspective, is to let market forces work this stuff out. Let companies like CSPI raise awareness, and I can decide if I agree. But when the government forces it on me--and they end up being wrong--then what was the point?

Things that freak people out are actually safe. "Pink slime" freaks people out, but it actually allows us to get more meat off of the bone, being less wasteful, and it is perfectly safe. All kinds of meats taste good, and I hear horse is not too bad. The FDA has a really poor track record in keeping us "safe," and often times private companies have more strict guidelines. But the FDA has trouble even enforcing their own. Even the food pyramid we all know and love was basically wrong. This is what is wrong with our food--government.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.14.13 at 09:22 AM.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:02 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Just as an aside, I like some of the stuff Voivod posts, though I would love to hear his opinion more often, but I agree with Daisy--could you put the links in when you post stuff? I have a nasty habit of linking and getting an idea of what is going on with the article. Thanks!
    Sources would be appreciated on anything that's copied and pasted. Thanks.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

If You Like Your Food, You Can Keep Your Food

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenf...keep-your-food

How that title makes sense pertaining to the article is beyond me.

EDIT: Oh! never mind, I just got it. duh!
    Last edited by Number 47; 11.14.13 at 01:23 PM.