Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Beth Tillack Upset After Sons Low Grades Land Him In Schools Honor Roll

While one Florida mother decided to punish her son for low grades, his school decided to reward him by placing him in the Honor Roll. The schools actions just upset the mother even more.

I am furious and appalled, mother Beth Tillack wrote to superintendent Kurt Browning. Talk about minimum standards! So now instead of losing privileges and trying harder, he now thinks he has done enough. I am so shocked.

When Tillacks son, Douglas, came home with a low grade in his civics class at Pasco Middle School, she took away his computer and iPod privileges. But she was shocked to find out that his grades four As, a C and a D averaged out to a 3.16. The minimum grade point average needed for the Honor Roll is 3.15.

Assistant superintendent Amelia Larson agreed with Tillacks concerns.

We want a better way of communicating progress toward our end-of-the-year outcomes so parents dont get upset if their kids dont come home with straight As Larson told the Tampa Bay Times. If we give the wrong message, the kids may be content at the level they are at.

Ken OConnor, a Canadian education consultant who specializes in student grading and reporting, told the Tampa Bay Times grades are virtually worthless without addressing areas of improvement needed.

You dont do kids any favors if were not honest, if we inflate their achievement or we put it down, OConnor said.

When Tillack reached out to the school, she said the feedback was positive. Principal Kim Anderson even reviewed the report card with Douglas and pointed out areas where he needed to work harder and where he had improved.

Letter-based grading in schools has long been debated. Teachers at more than two dozen Oregon high schools are teaching and grading their students using a proficiency-based education approach that gives students little to no credit for homework, attendance, class work or extra credit, only for demonstrating knowledge of key material. The approach has been met with both support and criticism.

Tillack, in the meantime, thinks schools should change their honor roll formulas so that students with low grades are not eligible.

Im all for it being harder, as opposed to easier, Tillack said. The overall thing is, if a child knows they do the minimum and get by, what kind of message does that send about the other areas in their life?

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...-on-honor-roll
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 6,680 Times in 3,704 Posts

i'm kind of confused by this story. An honour takes into consideration the average of a student's grades, at least that's what it does up here. Is it different in the states? If you got 6 courses and get 90 in 4 of them, 65 in one and 55 in one - you still average 80. The one bad grade doesn't make you ineligible for the honour roll.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Back in the day, Honor Rolls were based on letter grades...

Technically, the kid made honor roll by 100th of a grade point, but the parent does not approve of rewarding her child when he has C's and D's on his report card...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I think this Mum was being a wee bit harsh...I mean, the lad got 4 'A' grades out of a possible 6 - I really don't think that that warrants the punishment she dished out, but then that's just me...Obviously she knows her son best, and possibly knows for a fact that he just pulled a fast one in his civics class. Alternatively, maybe he found that subject difficult - in which case, as I say, the punishment doesn't really fit the crime.

As for this "honour roll call" malarkey - we don't have anything like that over here. You do your exams, get your grades, and that's that - none of this prize-giving nonsense!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

If I'm not mistaken, kids in my district back in the day made the honor roll if they maintained at least a B in every class. I don't think it was averaged, but then again that was forever ago.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Back in the day, Honor Rolls were based on letter grades...

Technically, the kid made honor roll by 100th of a grade point, but the parent does not approve of rewarding her child when he has C's and D's on his report card...
    how is this news?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, kids in my district back in the day made the honor roll if they maintained at least a B in every class. I don't think it was averaged, but then again that was forever ago.
    ok, up here it's based on an overall avg. 80% or better puts you on the honour roll.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    ok, up here it's based on an overall avg. 80% or better puts you on the honour roll.
    That might be the case everywhere here now.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I think this Mum was being a wee bit harsh...I mean, the lad got 4 'A' grades out of a possible 6 - I really don't think that that warrants the punishment she dished out, but then that's just me...Obviously she knows her son best, and possibly knows for a fact that he just pulled a fast one in his civics class. Alternatively, maybe he found that subject difficult - in which case, as I say, the punishment doesn't really fit the crime.

As for this "honour roll call" malarkey - we don't have anything like that over here. You do your exams, get your grades, and that's that - none of this prize-giving nonsense!
    it's not so much a prize. Just a list that's kept at the front of the school showing all the kids on it (It's Mike was regular on it despite putting forth zero effort in high school). I know some school boards have talked about getting rid of it as it makes other kids feel bad.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

pretty sure that's the way it was for me, too (and the way it still should be!)

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,127 Times in 8,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post

If my kid gets anything less than a B, he knows a punishment is coming. And there better not be many B's.

My kid walks in with a D on his report card, he'll be grounded until his next report card.

Amazingly, we set the bar high in our household, and all my kids had straight A's this quarter. Higher expectations, higher performance. Lower expectations, lower performance. It is basic human nature, you would think people would have figured that out by now.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    it's not so much a prize. Just a list that's kept at the front of the school showing all the kids on it (It's Mike was regular on it despite putting forth zero effort in high school). I know some school boards have talked about getting rid of it as it makes other kids feel bad.
    I think ours was also published in the town newspaper

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,127 Times in 8,952 Posts

Ours is that way. If you make all A's and B's you are on the honor roll.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I think ours was also published in the town newspaper
    At my paper we still publish the honor rolls for all the area schools. I'm sure the parents look forward to that more than the kids, though.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If my kid gets anything less than a B, he knows a punishment is coming. And there better not be many B's.

My kid walks in with a D on his report card, he'll be grounded until his next report card.

Amazingly, we set the bar high in our household, and all my kids had straight A's this quarter. Higher expectations, higher performance. Lower expectations, lower performance. It is basic human nature, you would think people would have figured that out by now.
    Interesting...Personally, as both a parent and (former) teacher, I always found realistic expectations were the best way forward. Not because I didn't (don't) want the children in my care to always give of their best, but because I am aware that not every subject comes easily to all kids, and that they cannot always expect to achieve the top grades.

Similarly, when it comes to examinations, there can be unforeseen circumstances that can adversely affect performance. To punish a child, when you know that they have done their best and still come out with a 'C' grade is unrealistic and unfair - in my opinion. And, with the best will in the world, not every child responds well to continual pressure, and the constant threat of the 'stick'.

I'm glad it works well for your kids, DD - genuinely - but I wouldn't do it to mine, knowing as I do, how demoralising being a failure in your parents' eyes can be, when you KNOW you've given things your best shot.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980