Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

national anthem as war anthem

A panelist who appeared on a segment of ESPN’s “Around the Horn”discussion said sports games would be a lot better if they didn’t open with the National Anthem.

University of Maryland professor Kevin Blackstone made the comments during discussion of the new football uniforms at Northwestern University that have images of blood-spattered American flags, in honor of Wounded Warriors, The Blaze reported.

He said the country should quit playing the “war anthem” before athletic events — and also said the NFL has only furthered the “mythology” of Pat Tillman, an ex-Arizona Cardinals player who gave up his sports career to join the military, The Blaze said. Mr. Tillman was killed during service.

The segment Mr. Blackstone appeared on featured sports commentators from different parts of the nation giving a “Buy” or “Sell” label to certain topics — in this case, the Northwestern football jerseys.

“I’m going to sell,” said Mr. Blackstone, The Blaze reported. “And if you sell this along with me, you should also be selling the rest of the military symbolism embrace of sports — whether it’s the singing of a war anthem to open every game, whether it’s going to get a hotdog and being able to sign up for the Army at the same time, whether it’s the NFL’s embracing of the mythology of the Pat Tillman story. It’s been going on in sports since the first National Anthem was played in the World Series back in 1917 and it’s time for people to back away.”

When a panelist tried to disagree with the characterization of the National Anthem as a war song, Mr. Blackstone said, The Blaze reported: “You are conflating a war anthem with a simple game. And when you have military flyovers and all the other military symbolism that goes on in sports, I think you’ve got a problem.”

This isn’t Mr. Blackstone’s first try to halt the National Anthem at sports events. In a 2011 piece he penned for AOL, he wrote: “If our lawmakers don’t sing it every day to begin the country’s business, spectators of a mere sporting event shouldn’t be forced to sit through it, either.”

Last edited by voivod; 11.13.13 at 04:26 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Those are some idiotic comments.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

I was in Pittsbugh for the Bills/Steelers and Notre Dame/Pitt games this weekend and I quite like the way that military personel were honoured during the games. No idea why you guys would ever want to change that. Those brave men and women don't get nearly enough support once they return. No idea why you'd ever want to take away one of the few times the public gets to show their appreciation for them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 796 Times in 432 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Those are some idiotic comments.
    It DOES seem silly to complain, and I'm not a big fan of the gametime anthem. It's a little "brainwashy" to me. At the last game I went to, we actually recited the pledge. That's a little creepy to me.

That being said, no one is "forced" to sing it or even pay attention. In fact, many don't. What's the big deal? It's part of football culture, and if you don't like it, you don't have to go. Or you can go get a beer.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

It just shows how ignorant he is of the origins of the anthem. It was written in response to an attack on America by the vaunted British Navy. Against all odds, the Americans , outgunned and outmanned, held out against the greatest naval fighting force in the world at the time.

Since he has a problem with fans sitting through an anthem that Congress doesn't even do, I'm sure he'll be cool if we adopt the Congressional tradition of opening with a prayer. That will make his liberal mind explode.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I find that the singing of the National Anthem is a very moving experience at any sporting event. I attend a lot of USHRA events and the National Anthem is always played and they always take time out to salute Veterans and First Responders. They also usually play the Lee Greenwood song "I'm Proud To Be An American" It is another great patriotic song. To me both are about the greatness of our country and the people who make it possible. Regardless of the fucktards that are running it now at it's heart America is a great country and most of it's citizens appreciate it.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I'm pretty liberal, and even I think this is pretty fuckin dumb. We've got much bigger fish to fry and someone, I think, just wants to be on TV.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Fuck this guy.

The discussion was about player uniforms and not the national anthem. He simply saw the opportunity to spew his agenda and took it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

“If our lawmakers don’t sing it every day to begin the country’s business, spectators of a mere sporting event shouldn’t be forced to sit through it, either.”

Perhaps you should stand the hell up...

I for one, have never felt inconvenienced by the National Anthem. Not even once.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

I think we need to wait and see what Bob Costas thinks... LOL
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton