Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Obama has head handed to him in secret Iran sanction deal amid nuclear talks

For all the tough talk on the international front the United States has quietly been easing some of the financial restrictions on Iran, a new investigation reveals. But, as one source suggested, the talks may have backfired and now the White House is feeling vulnerable.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...n-sanction-dea
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

As pulled from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_(surname)

"Obama is an African surname. It is not an uncommon Luo surname.[1] The name comes from Swahili and refers to members of the Luo tribe who converted to Islam."

If it walks like a dog, sounds like a dog and acts like a dog, maybe it is a dog? Maybe?

Nah!

It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Yeah, so? My surname is Norman in origin. Doesn't mean I had shit to do with the Norman invasion of 1066.

His surname has muslim roots, doesn't mean he's a muslim.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post
    As pulled from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_(surname)

"Obama is an African surname. It is not an uncommon Luo surname.[1] The name comes from Swahili and refers to members of the Luo tribe who converted to Islam."

If it walks like a dog, sounds like a dog and acts like a dog, maybe it is a dog? Maybe?

Nah!
    Google United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012 to see your entire premise collapse.

TK

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Yeah, so? My surname is Norman in origin. Doesn't mean I had shit to do with the Norman invasion of 1066.

His surname has muslim roots, doesn't mean he's a muslim.
    True, though it does not mean he is not, either.

Unfortunately for me, at times I get carried away in joining the Obashers when watching / reading current news.

All I was actually getting at was how anything Barry does would not surprise me in the least. That is not to say other people who have served as POTUS have not been the same, but this one is close to home more so than the others.

Peace
    Last edited by evhisagod; 11.13.13 at 02:39 PM.
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Google United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012 to see your entire premise collapse.

TK
    Not sure why that Act would negate anything currently being discussed. Supporting Israel is a given, though I can surely see this administration talking about backdoor deals wiith Iran on sanctions and the like easily enough. Black market oil, just like the oil for food debacle in Iraq, seems to drive nations into believing that the best way to stop those transactions is to ease sanctions, knowing full well it will not work in the long term, but it looks good at the time

It is what it is

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post
    Not sure why that Act would negate anything currently being discussed. Supporting Israel is a given, though I can surely see this administration talking about backdoor deals wiith Iran on sanctions and the like easily enough. Black market oil, just like the oil for food debacle in Iraq, seems to drive nations into believing that the best way to stop those transactions is to ease sanctions, knowing full well it will not work in the long term, but it looks good at the time

The constant implication that Obama is a Muslim, or that he "sides with Muslims", is a fallacy. He gladly signed a law INCREASING our technological and military cooperation with Israel. He may sound a different "tone" at the podium, but never confuse style with substance.

Back room deals? No question some of that goes on. It always has. It always will. Reagan himself traded arms for hostages, after all. But make no mistake. The modern state of Israel is a pet project of the US. It was formed by the UN, led by a leftist US president, and this leftist US president will uphold it.

TK

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

White House Statement

http://www.watch.org/showart.php3?id...wsubj=1&mcat=1

After four days of talks and three rounds of meetings, the P5+1 (the U.S., Russia, China, Great Britain, France and Germany), along with the European Union, struck an historic deal early Sunday morning in Geneva with the Islamic Republic of Iran. While the details of the agreement have not been released, here are the main points:

. It allows Iran to enrich uranium up to 5 percent.
    . It requires Iran to stop expanding its enrichment capacity.
    . It further requires Iran to allow more IAEA inspections, especially to Iran's nuclear facilities at Natanz and Fordo.
    . In return, Iran would receive about $7 billion dollars' worth of sanctions relief.
    . The P5+1 agree to impose no new sanctions for six months.
    THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Today, the United States together with our close allies and partners took an important first step toward a comprehensive solution that addresses our concerns with the Islamic Republic of Irans nuclear program.

Since I took office, I have made clear my determination to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. As I have said many times, my strong preference is to resolve this issue peacefully, and we have extended the hand of diplomacy. Yet for many years, Iran has been unwilling to meet its obligations to the international community. So my Administration worked with Congress, the U.N. Security Council and countries around the world to impose unprecedented sanctions on the Iranian government.

These sanctions have had a substantial impact on the Iranian economy, and with the election of a new Iranian President earlier this year, an opening for diplomacy emerged. I spoke personally with President Rouhani of Iran earlier this fall. Secretary Kerry has met multiple times with Irans Foreign Minister. And we have pursued intensive diplomacy bilaterally with the Iranians, and together with our P5+1 partners: the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, and China, as well as the European Union.

Today, that diplomacy opened up a new path toward a world that is more secure a future in which we can verify that Irans nuclear program is peaceful, and that it cannot build a nuclear weapon.

While todays announcement is just a first step, it achieves a great deal. For the first time in nearly a decade, we have halted the progress of the Iranian nuclear program, and key parts of the program will be rolled back. Iran has committed to halting certain levels of enrichment, and neutralizing part of its stockpile. Iran cannot use its next-generation centrifugeswhich are used for enriching uranium. Iran cannot install or start up new centrifuges, and its production of centrifuges will be limited. Iran will halt work at its plutonium reactor. And new inspections will provide extensive access to Irans nuclear facilities, and allow the international community to verify whether Iran is keeping its commitments.

These are substantial limitations which will help prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon. Simply put, they cut off Irans most likely paths to a bomb. Meanwhile, this first step will create time and space over the next six months for more negotiations to fully address our comprehensive concerns about the Iranian program. And because of this agreement, Iran cannot use negotiations as cover to advance its program.

On our side, the United States and our friends and allies have agreed to provide Iran modest relief, while continuing to apply our toughest sanctions. We will refrain from imposing new sanctions, and we will allow the Iranian government access to a portion of the revenue that they have been denied through sanctions. But the broader architecture of sanctions will remain in place and we will continue to enforce them vigorously. And if Iran does not fully meet its commitments during this six month phase, we will turn off the relief, and ratchet up the pressure.

Over the next six months, we will work to negotiate a comprehensive solution. We approach these negotiations with a basic understanding: Iran, like any nation, should be able to access peaceful nuclear energy. But because of its record of violating its obligations, Iran must accept strict limitations on its nuclear program that make it impossible to develop a nuclear weapon.

In these negotiations, nothing will be agreed to until everything is agreed to. The burden is on Iran to prove to the world that its nuclear program will be for exclusively peaceful purposes. If Iran seizes this opportunity, the Iranian people will benefit from rejoining the international community, and we can begin to chip away at the mistrust between our two nations. This would provide Iran with a dignified path to forge a new beginning with the wider world based on mutual respect. But if Iran refuses, it will face growing pressure and isolation.

Over the last few years, Congress has been a key partner in imposing sanctions on the Iranian government, and that bipartisan effort made possible the progress that was achieved today. Going forward, we will continue to work closely with Congress. However, now is not the time to move forward on new sanctions doing so would derail this promising first step, alienate us from our allies, and risk unraveling the coalition that enabled our sanctions to be enforced in the first place.

That international unity is on display today. The world is united in support of our determination to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. Iran must know that security and prosperity will never come through the pursuit of nuclear weapons - it must be reached through fully verifiable agreements that make Irans pursuit of nuclear weapons impossible.

As we go forward, the resolve of the United States will remain firm, as will our commitment to our friends and allies particularly Israel and our Gulf partners, who have good reason to be skeptical about Irans intentions.

Ultimately, only diplomacy can bring about a durable solution to the challenge posed by Irans nuclear program. As President and Commander in Chief, I will do what is necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. However, I have a profound responsibility to try to resolve our differences peacefully, rather than rush towards conflict. Today, we have a real opportunity to achieve a comprehensive, peaceful settlement, and I believe we must test it.

The first step that we have taken today marks the most significant and tangible progress that we have made with Iran since I took office. Now, we must use the months ahead to pursue a lasting and comprehensive settlement that would resolve an issue that has threatened our security and the security of our allies for decades. It wont be easy. Huge challenges remain ahead. But through strong and principled diplomacy, the United States of America will do our part on behalf of a world of greater peace, security, and cooperation among nations.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,695 Times in 3,715 Posts

I don't know enough about the deal to say whether it's good or not. But I know that our govt is continuing sanctions until there's evidence that Iran is legit on this.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Obama has no issues sending $7 billion to Iran, but....

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...e_way_out.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Obama has no issues sending $7 billion to Iran, but....

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...e_way_out.html
    he's not sending 7 billion dollars to Iran. The way you say it makes it sound like Washington is cutting a cheque.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

My bad Mike, thanks for the correction...

The United States released $8 billion in frozen assets to Iran on Sunday in a move meant to ensure Tehrans compliance with a nuclear pact signed over the weekend, according to top Iranian officials.

Iranian government spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht confirmed on Monday morning that the U.S. government had unfrozen $8 billion in assets that had been previously blocked by the Obama administration.

The confirmation followed multiple reports of the release on Sunday in the Arab and Iranian news outlets.

Iran will be provided with about $7 billion in sanctions relief, gold, and oil sales under a nuclear deal inked late Saturday in Geneva with Western nations.

Iranian officials lauded the deal as a path to opening up greater trade relations between Iran and the world.

The agreement will open a new path towards Iran, Alinaqi Khamoushi, the former head of Irans Chamber of Commerce said on Sunday as he announced the release by the United States of some $8 billion in assets, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).

Nobakht confirmed the figure early Monday during a briefing with reporters in Tehran.

The agreement will ease the anti-Iran sanctions, which will have significant impacts on the Iranian economy, the state-run Fars News Agency quoted him as saying.

One senior GOP aide on Capitol Hill was not pleased with the reports.

Its pretty clear the White House and State Department have been lying to the American people since the beginning of this process so it wouldnt shock me to learn they are lying about how much sanctions relief theyre giving Iran now, said the aide.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) criticized the deal on Sunday, when he said to a Jewish audience that both Democrats and Republicans in the Senate were united in opposition.

Democrats and Republicans are going to work to see that we dont let up on these sanctions until Iran gives up not only all of their weapons but all nuclear weapon capabilities, Schumer said. I want to leave you with that assurance.

The State Department denied that sanctions have been altered since an interim deal with Iran was announced.

This report is false. Sanctions today are same as they were last week, a senior State Department official said in response to the Fars report. We will be forthcoming with guidance on how the technical terms of the relief package are worked out once all that is determined.

Additionally, Iran announced on Sunday that its nuclear work will continue despite the deal, which aimed to curb Tehrans nuclear ambitions and enrichment of uranium, the key component in a nuclear weapon.

Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif, who helped ink the deal, praised it for recognizing Irans right to enrich uranium, a key sticking point that had delayed the deal until Saturday evening.

The [nuclear] program has been recognized and the Iranian peoples right to use the peaceful nuclear technology based on the NPT [Non-Proliferation Treaty] and as an inalienable right has been recognized and countries are necessitated not to create any obstacle on its way, Zarif told reporters over the weekend.

The program will continue, and all the sanctions and violations against the Iranian nation under the pretext of the nuclear program will be removed gradually, he added.

Irans most well-known nuclear sites will remain operational under the deal, according to Zarif, who presented a very different version of the agreement than that described by the White House on Saturday.

Over the next six months, Iran will see the full removal of all [United Nations] Security Council, unilateral and multilateral sanctions, while the countrys enrichment program will be maintained, Zarif said.

The Fordo and Natanz nuclear sites will also continue to run, he said.

None of the enrichment centers will be closed and Fordo and Natanz will continue their work and the Arak heavy water [nuclear reactor] program will continue in its present form and no material [enriched uranium stockpiles] will be taken out of the country and all the enriched materials will remain inside the country, Zarif said. The current sanctions will move towards decrease, no sanctions will be imposed and Irans financial resources will return.

America recognized Irans right to enrich uranium up to 5 percent under the deal, according to both the Iranians and a White House brief on the deal.

The United States agreed to suspend certain sanctions on gold and precious metals, Irans auto sector, and Irans petrochemical exports, potentially providing Iran approximately $1.5 billion in revenue, according to a fact sheet provided by the White House.

Iran could earn another $4.2 billion in oil revenue under the deal.

Another $400 million in governmental tuition assistance could also be transferred from restricted Iranian funds directly to recognized educational institutions in third countries to defray the tuition costs of Iranian students, according to the White House.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

it's a release of frozen assets and the ability to trade going forward. you're making it sound like you're personally paying for this. it's not costing you a nickel - in fact it'll save you some nickels.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

I would expect sanctions and subsequent negotiations with Iran to be about as effective as they are with North Korea, which is to say they are worthless. This is the playbook North Korea has used for years: do something the world doesn't like, get sanctioned, promise to stop doing it, get sanctions lifted until you can gather up enough resources to start again, get caught, get sanctioned, promise to stop doing it, etc. Eventually you detonate a nuclear weapon and everyone goes "oh hell...I guess that didn't work. Let's sanction them!"

While I would like to think this is a stepping stone for long lasting peace, history tells us otherwise. As Mike said, it will take years to find out if this works or not.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    it's a release of frozen assets and the ability to trade going forward. you're making it sound like you're personally paying for this. it's not costing you a nickel - in fact it'll save you some nickels.
    Exactly. Also, sanctions generally only hurt the most vulnerable people in the targeted country and are basically useless except as a propaganda tool.

TK