Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 11,721 Times in 6,495 Posts

Premium Member

Default Ashton Kutcher On Entitlement Society

“There’s an entitlement that is starting to emerge that I think is unhealthy for people and unhealthy for our country.”

No, that line wasn’t spoken by a politician. It was uttered by none other than actor Ashton Kutcher.

Kutcher sat down with talk show host Ellen DeGeneres on Wednesday to chat about the incredibly viral speech about hard work and dedication that he delivered at the Teen Choice Awards in August. And in explaining his past comments, he delivered a new set that could spread just as fast.

DeGeneres praised Kutcher’s bold statement to teens about perseverance and dreaming big, saying that it was “such an important speech” to deliver — and one that she wholeheartedly agrees with.

Kutcher, who was given a lifetime achievement award of sorts at the event, told DeGeneres that he wanted to use his acceptance speech to drive home some very important points to the young audience. He explained:

“It was funny, I was going on the show to receive this like lifetime achievement for Teen Choice Awards and I thought it was kind of like, I don’t know if I’ll ever get a Teen Choice Award again. It just felt like an opportunity to be honest.

I think that so much of what we see in the world today is this sort of propaganda machine around fame and around celebrity — and I actually think that there are some kids in the world that grow up today that think, ‘When I grow up I want to be famous’ instead of, ‘When I grow up I want to do something, I want to build something, I want to create something.”

Kutcher said he wanted to move away from the award show tradition of essentially “propagating the fame machine.” So, rather than following the Hollywood blueprint, he went off-script in an effort to use his influence to do some good.

“I thought that it was a valuable moment to actually let them know that … working hard and being thoughtful and generous and smart — it’s a path to a better life,” Kutcher added.

The actor took particular aim at a number of societal phenomena, including a push for fame just for the sake of fame and an influx of people who are entitled and simply don’t want to work hard.

Noting that some of his own friends don’t want to work at Starbucks, because they believe it is beneath them, Kutcher said, ”The only thing that can be below you is to not have a job.”

Watch him explain his Teen Choice Awards speech in an interview that’s almost as good as the original address:

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Says the male model who only gets cast because of his looks. They don't get much more gruff and hard working than Ashton Kutcher.

Really, conservatives do not think celebs should have a voice unless they throw out simplistic talking points like these. This dude only gets big paydays because of the superficial nature of society.

Funny.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.10.13 at 06:33 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 11,721 Times in 6,495 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Says the male model who only gets cast because of his looks. They don't get much more gruff and hard working than Ashton Kutcher.

Really, conservatives do not think celebs should have a voice unless they throw out simplistic talking points like these. This dude only gets big paydays because of the superficial nature of society.

Funny.
    I think that entertainers should entertain. However, it is refreshing to hear a different opinion from a world that usually spits out leftist propaganda. A few years ago, he was spewing some idiotic BS that made you question his intelligence. It seems that maybe he has grown up a little. I don't think you can argue with what he is saying. The speech he gave at the Teen Choice Awards was also brilliant.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Great advice for teens:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Just a comment on the second point of his speech. "Be sexy = be smart"

Kutcher could have gone on stage and said, "Aboogabooo booobobbbboooooooo cherbercherber shooooo sherbernaynay". While drooling and shitting his pants....

And he'd still have a line up of pussy that stretches around the block. If you're stupid, it helps to be good looking.

All that being said, I'd rather be average in the looks department and above average in the humour, wit, charm department any day. Looks can get you to the bedroom, that's for sure but personality, charm and smarts get you to the bedroom repeatedly.

I like what he said and I commend him for not just giving yet another cliche'd Hollywood speech of, "Anything is possible. Look to the stars. Thank you God. Thank you baby Jesus. Dream big. Thank you."

Nice to see he actually had a message.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I think that entertainers should entertain. However, it is refreshing to hear a different opinion from a world that usually spits out leftist propaganda.
    I know people get tired of the left wing talking points also.

I do think that its sort of lame that he goes out on TV and trashes his friends though.Well, not bash... But it's just strange to see a guy who gets his jobs because of something he was born with just go on TV and lecture other people.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.11.13 at 12:29 AM.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I do think that its sort of lame that he goes out on TV and trashes his friends though.Well, not bash... But it's just strange to see a guy who gets his jobs because of something he was born with just go on TV and lecture other people.
    We all get jobs with “what we are born with”. Some people just work hard and take advantage of those things. I’m sure there are plenty of “pretty faced” people out there that don’t work hard and don’t take advantage of their gifts. How many times have you heard of people not living up to their potential? That means that they had some advantage or special talent that they allowed to atrophy.
    We are not all alike and we all have differences; those people who can identify and work hard to use their talents should be applauded not bashed. I have friends that feel they are “entitled”, use the system and in some cases try and sue the system because they don’t work hard, feel “entitled” and then cry about it when things don’t work out for them. They only have themselves to blame.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Funny.
    actually they say he makes more money from his tech investments than acting...and he makes a shit load of money from Two and half men.

anyway, it's good that there is someone out there who kids look up to who is using the opportunity of his fame to send a positve message to kids

you WANT your kids to look to you for guidance, but that's the long game...in the short game they are listening to their peers who are listening to the Kardashians, and Beibers, and rappers and the Cyrus' of the world.... and everyone else but you

sometimes the simple message is the most effective, if it comes from someone whom kids listen to.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:29 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

I think Kutcher makes it pretty clear that he didn't just crawl out of bed one day, slide on his boxers, shake his hair and become famous. He worked his way up through various odd jobs before he hit his mark. Too bad you can't see the genuine message he's trying to relate to the kids in the crowd. Hardly a lecture.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    actually they say he makes more money from his tech investments than acting...and he makes a shit load of money from Two and half men.

anyway, it's good that there is someone out there who kids look up to who is using the opportunity of his fame to send a positive message to kids

you WANT your kids to look to you for guidance, but that's the long game...in the short game they are listening to their peers who are listening to the Kardashians, and Beibers, and rappers and the Cyrus' of the world.... and everyone else but you

sometimes the simple message is the most effective, if it comes from someone whom kids listen to.
    And he's also making that kind of cash because THEY came crawling to him. Just saying.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

excellent speech that will sadly be ignored by just about everyone in the crowd. Hopefully it helps push one person in the right direction though.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I think Kutcher makes it pretty clear that he didn't just crawl out of bed one day, slide on his boxers, shake his hair and become famous. He worked his way up through various odd jobs before he hit his mark. Too bad you can't see the genuine message he's trying to relate to the kids in the crowd. Hardly a lecture.
    Well, from what I've seen, he puts little effort into his craft. I've seen enough of him in movies to know that he does not put that much effort in. That is probably complementary to him because if he is giving it his all... I'd hate to see what him putting in no effort looks like.

I wish his message could have melted my heart, but it just didn't. It's just the same thing many people say everyday. I don't know why I'm supposed to be impressed just because he said it.

I don't know... To me, it's like Shaq trying to give other people pointers about how to stay in great shape.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

anyway, it's good that there is someone out there who kids look up to who is using the opportunity of his fame to send a positve message to kids

I never looked at any of these guys as heroes. Even as a kid. All you have to do is read my posts in the basketball section. I don't worship the athletes and the celebs in that way. But I know I'm not in the norm.

Last Online

Premium Member

You hate him because he's rich, successful, pretty and trying to convey a positive message.

Got it.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    You hate him because he's rich, successful, pretty and trying to convey a positive message.

Got it.
    Wrong.