Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 11,750 Times in 6,508 Posts

Premium Member

Default SAMMY HAGAR On Split With VAN HALEN: 'I Was Stabbed In The Back And Left For Dead'

November 7, 2013

GRAMMY.com recently conducted an interview with legendary rocker Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN, CHICKENFOOT, MONTROSE). You can now watch the chat in eleven parts below.

Asked if he misses his friendship with the Van Halen brothers, Hagar replied: "Oh, every part of me — from my hair to my toes — miss my friendship with Eddie and Alex Van Halen.

"I think Alex and I are probably still good friends. Eddie and I, we hit a real hard bump in the road. It's kind of like a relationship with a partner and things go so wrong that you just don't feel like you can ever let that go. But we'll see. 'Cause I think I can let anything go. I don't know if Eddie can let anything go; maybe he can. But right now, there's a lot of resentment built up. It's almost like there's so much anger that I don't wanna even run into him."

He continued: "I used to always say, 'Oh, if I ran into him somewhere, it'd be, like, 'Oh, Eddie. How are you doing?' Big hugs and kisses. I don't think it'd be like that right now. I think it'd be, like, 'You did this' and 'You did that' [laughs]; we'd get in each other's face.

"It got real ugly.

"Unfortunately, when I wrote my book, I had to say it all, because in my whole life, what do I do? I go through life and I run into fans. 'Oh, man, I loved you in VAN HALEN. You were the best guy.' Of course they tell me I was the best guy in VAN HALEN and they tell the other guy he was the best guy. But the truth of the matter is, they would say, 'Why can't you and Eddie get…? Man, you guys…' And I'm going, 'You don't understand.' So when I wrote my book, I wanted to clarify that; I just wanted to throw that out the window. Don't ever ask me again why I'm not in VAN HALEN. I was thrown out, I was stabbed in the back and left for dead. And you just can't go back and hug and kiss those kind of people that do that to you. So I wrote about it in my book. And now that I really wrote about it in the book, I don't think Eddie would ever look me in the eye and shake hands and no hugs and kisses. But Alex knows it's all true and he knows it was all… Well, he knows what happened. He was a bystander who stood by his brother, and I love 'em both."

He added: "I still love Eddie Van Halen with all of my heart and I wish him nothing but good health and hopefully he gets himself together. But he put me through some miserable stuff that one human being should not do that to another human being. And it's not like I didn't have a choice. I had a choice; I could have split in the middle of that tour, but when I did, I was threatened to be sued for so much money that it was, like… 'I'm gonna stick it out.' And sticking it out through those situations [meant] I had to get my own airplane, [we] couldn't fly on the same plane, he was in this dressing room in the arena, I was in the farthest one over there I could get. And it was, like, every night, sitting there and looking at the clock, it's time to go on, Michael Anthony [then-VAN HALEN bassist] and I, and we'd hear Eddie's guitar. It was, like, 'OK, he made it. Let's go.' We'd walk out on stage every night. [We'd] wait and make sure the guy could make it.

"But I love him; I really do love him. My friendship and the songs and the music we made makes up for all of that — if he would be willing to say, 'Hey, let's let it go.'

"But I'm not looking to get back [in VAN HALEN]. CHICKENFOOT is my band now."

Hagar recently said that Eddie Van Halen isn't as "fluent and versatile" as Sammy's CHICKENFOOT bandmate Joe Satriani. Hagar, who just released the star-studded collection, "Sammy Hagar & Friends", took a swipe at Van Halen while downplaying his own guitar playing, telling Gibson.com, "In CHICKENFOOT and VAN HALEN, I just put the guitar on and got a big cheer always, and then I'd burn for a little bit and then take it back off before I ran out of chops, y'know? I rate myself as a guy that can play, and I can express myself extremely well but only in one language. I can only play blues-based guitar. And when a guy like Joe steps up there, he can play. Once he finishes with my repertoire, he can go into French, Spanish and Russian on the guitar! He's just so versatile and fluent."

Hagar pressed on, comparing Van Halen to Satriani, saying, "Eddie's not as fluent and versatile. Eddie's got a style for himself and he's very much in that pocket, but Joe can play anything. He freaks me out."

Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that the split between him and Eddie Van Halen became apparent during the sessions for the band's 1995 "Balance" album, which was his last full-length set with the band. "Eddie needs somebody to make decisions and a leader, y'know?" he said. "He's not a natural born leader kind of guy. And his brother was always the leader before — or [David Lee] Roth was the leader before — and when Roth left, his brother and him bumped heads so much, when I walked in, it was like, 'Well, what does Sam wanna do?' y'know? So it became kind of like, yeah, I was making all the decisions, so then on 'Balance', all of a sudden he didn't like my decisions, and it was, like, really weird."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sam...oyv1KyVbyyX.99
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

That's an excellent interview. He sounds like a guy who accepts his fate for writing his book but has natural human desires to rectify an old friendship.

He's also not wrong about Ed and Joe's playing. Ed has a tried and true style, while Joe does stretch himself to different levels. Doesn't make one better than the other, they're just different.

Okay, now that that's over, let the shitstorm begin.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

This interview is from back in September, and made the rounds then. Why on earth is Blabbermouth posting it now?
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

I thought it seemed really familiar.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This is Love/Mean Street
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I used to really like Sam. I always liked CVH better but I still enjoyed Van Hagar. Read the comments below on the blabbermouth page most of those people got it right. Move on Sam... but he can't because talking shit on Eddie is the only thing that really keeps him relative.

I think Sam was in control in every other big venture in his life. If he didn't like something he walked away. He puts great musicians together and makes music that he wants to make. He works with great guitar players but probably makes most of the final decisions because like most singers he has the one gift you can't really teach.

With van Halen though, he doesn't call the shots. And whether people like Dave or not, he was the original front man, is the current singer, and is preferred by millions of fans. All that together leaves Sam in a position he isn't used to being in. He has no leverage because of his pipes.

It is like the super hot chick that never got dumped in her life and when she finally does all she can think about is getting that guy back.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

I think Sam came off good in this interview....better than some of the others when, IMO, came off as a little bitter....this one he seems to express true regret for losing a valuable friendship as opposed to losing a sweet gig as a lead singer....I like that he addressed his reasons for throwing Ed under the bus in his book....I have always felt he shouldn't have, but the way he explained it, I understand it a little better.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    He's also not wrong about Ed and Joe's playing. Ed has a tried and true style, while Joe does stretch himself to different levels. Doesn't make one better than the other, they're just different.
    Both you and Sammy are absolutely right about Ed and Joe. For all of Ed's genius, he can not play outside his style. I've watched vids of him trying to jam with other guitarists on songs that aren't his own and it's not great. Joe can play any style with anybody. That being said, I prefer Eddie's style and sound to any guitar player---ever!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Ed was under so much stress -- both given and self-induced -- he just wasn't anywhere near his real self. The EVH of 2004 is a character examination of just how bad alcohol can ruin a person's life -- no matter who they are or how much money they have or whatever.

His actions that year were off-the-hook, but over the course of Ed's life, they were anomalous. Sammy was the focus of his rage, and his rage stemmed from a wide variety of things.

I am not a fan of Sammy but it sucks he was on the receiving end of the worst version of Ed that there could be. What a unique spot in musical history. It seems that as kind and gracious and sweet as Ed is, he can also be scary mean and vindictive. That's the territory that comes with being a genius -- imbalance.

But look at Ed now -- healthy, happy, and always smiling. Nothing but good things to say about Dave and their relationship -- their performances together on ADKOT and on tour in 2012 brought the world back on its proper axis, because it's just not right when Ed and Dave are not together.

Would Eddie and Sammy EVER patch things up? Even when Ed is really old? Maybe.

KBD3

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    . It is like the super hot chick that never got dumped in her life and when she finally does all she can think about is getting that guy back.
    Sammy has put out twelve albums since he left VH---see Redrocker.com. He built and sold his tequila company. He expanded the Cabo Wabo chain. He started his own rum. He opened up several Sammy's Beach Bar and Grills. And of course, he wrote a book. Doesn't sound like he's been sitting around thinking about getting back in VH. Sam moved on. Van Halen has either been in neutral or sputtering for nearly 17 years. That, my friends, is the sad truth.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Sam threw Ed under the tour bus and profited from the story. He's fat and has hair on his back and shoulders... and he wears a wig!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    He built and sold his tequila company. He expanded the Cabo Wabo chain. He started his own rum. He opened up several Sammy's Beach Bar and Grills. And of course, he wrote a book.
    To be fair, and no disrespect to Hagar intended, but it's unlikely any of the above would have come to pass-- at least not to the extent that they have-- had he not been able to trade on his status as the singer or former singer of Van Halen. None of his branding would have taken such hold if he were just the I-can't-drive-55 guy.

He's moved on to the extent that it's in his interest to, but honestly, most of the attention he gets in 2013 is refracted through the prism of Van Halen. Sammy knows that, and does take advantage of it. I don't begrudge him so, but to say that he's totally "moved on" isn't really true-- any more than it was for Roth when he was out of the band.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This is Love/Mean Street
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Sammy has put out twelve albums since he left VH---see Redrocker.com. He built and sold his tequila company. He expanded the Cabo Wabo chain. He started his own rum. He opened up several Sammy's Beach Bar and Grills. And of course, he wrote a book. Doesn't sound like he's been sitting around thinking about getting back in VH. Sam moved on. Van Halen has either been in neutral or sputtering for nearly 17 years. That, my friends, is the sad truth.
    Everything you said proves my point. He is always in control except for VH.

And.......... he may be doing all the things you stated but he is most certainly still sitting around and thinking about getting back in VH. Do you really believe he is not?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    And.......... he may be doing all the things you stated but he is most certainly still sitting around and thinking about getting back in VH. Do you really believe he is not?
    I do believe he isn't, yes.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

saw this interview months ago.

Poor Sam he's never going to get rid of the Van Halen shadow.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    saw this interview months ago.

Poor Sam he's never going to get rid of the Van Halen shadow.
    lol, don't feel bad for "poor" Sam....he's got enough money to wipe away his tears if he is bummed out about it.