Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Why My Kids Are NOT the Center of My World

The mentality of our society in 2013 is nauseating to me, friends.

Modern parenting and thinking makes me crazy. The young generations of today (yes, I sound old. I realize I'm only 29 years old.) are being taught that they shouldn't have to ever put up with anything doesn't make their hearts feel like rainbow colored unicorns are running around pooping skittles onto piles of marshmallows.

Modern parenting is creating a generation that's not going to be able to function in society.

http://themetzfamilyadventures.blogs...-my-world.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

My wife and kids are the centre of my world, my siblings and me were the centre of my parents world. The main reason society is becoming a piece of shit is because kids aren't the centre of their parents' world.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I'm with you Mike. My son doesn't have to be the center of anybody else's world but mine. he's the only child that I'm going to have in this lifetime and want to make sure that he has every single thing that I can possibly give him in order to make him a nice levelheaded stable kid and a productive member of society.

He is the absolute dead center of my world and anybody who tries to change that will be taken down and beaten like a bitch.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

"They say it's kinda frightenin' how this younger generation swings."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,216 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

I think what this guy meant to write was "my kids aren't the center of the world," because that's pretty much the point he is making. They obviously are the most important thing in his life based on reading his blog, however, his messaging could use some clarity.

Most of us would probably agree with all of his contentions about how kids should act, think, and view themselves in the world. What he is saying isn't earth shattering, but it just goes against the media narrative of how we should treat our kids these days.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

It was a woman who wrote the article. And I think she titled it as she did purely to shock, as it isn't deemed 'natural' for a woman to write something along the lines of her kids not being the "centre of (her) world".

In actual fact, if you read the article, what she is saying is absolutely bang-on (in my opinion). It really has very little to do with the notion of a parent adoring their children (as she evidently does, along with most of us on here, I should imagine), but more about how horribly over-indulgent parents are doing their kids a disservice by spoiling them excessively and filling them with thoughts of their own self-importance.

The main tenet of her argument is that society has reached the point where a lot of parents' main contribution to the human race is the creation of arrogant little arseholes, who are ill-equipped for the future, and incapable of dealing with the real world, paralysed as they are by an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

Judging by some of the little toads I've encountered over the years, I think she has a point, to be honest!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    It was a woman who wrote the article. And I think she titled it as she did purely to shock, as it isn't deemed 'natural' for a woman to write something along the lines of her kids not being the "centre of (her) world".

In actual fact, if you read the article, what she is saying is absolutely bang-on (in my opinion). It really has very little to do with the notion of a parent adoring their children (as she evidently does, along with most of us on here, I should imagine), but more about how horribly over-indulgent parents are doing their kids a disservice by spoiling them excessively and filling them with thoughts of their own self-importance.

The main tenet of her argument is that society has reached the point where a lot of parents' main contribution to the human race is the creation of arrogant little arseholes, who are ill-equipped for the future, and incapable of dealing with the real world, paralysed as they are by an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

Judging by some of the little toads I've encountered over the years, I think she has a point, to be honest!
    badabing!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post

I agree.

Something she said that struck a chord with me and I think a lot of couples forget is the cultivation of their marriage.

I love and miss them during the work week, but I am not just a mom, I'm also Matt's wife, I'm also Stephanie, and I also run our household. There are things I have to get done, and my boys understand that. My children - while Matt and I both spend time playing with them - understand that the world doesn't begin and end with them

The marriage should ALWAYS come first. It's not politically correct to say that but a marriage that just goes through the motions and that isn't replenished, with time alone AND away from kids, isn't good for kids in the long run either.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts

Premium Member

I agree with this author 100%. I have step kids who are adults and have many friends with kids ranging from a month to 12 years of age. I see the full gamut of parenting with all of them. Most do a decent job but a few have their kids devour their life. They have absolutely zero time to do anything they want to do for themselves. It is all for the kids. These are also the ones probably with the worst marriages. It's like in order to keep themselves together, they have to be with the kids.

My one friend upon having his first child said "I am not going to let my child define me as a person. They will only add to what I already have." Some of my friends are only defined by their kids activities. It's sad

I love my parents and the job they did. They gave me time yet they had time for themselves. They gave me the building blocks of how to be a decent human. Sometimes birds have to push their babies out of the nest to teach them to fly. Not carry them on their back

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    The marriage should ALWAYS come first. It's not politically correct to say that but a marriage that just goes through the motions and that isn't replenished, with time alone AND away from kids, isn't good for kids in the long run either.

I don't really buy this (atleast with young kids). The "marriage" can't be separated from "the children" no more than the wife or the husband can be seperated from the marriage. It is, or at least it should be, one family unit.

As for time away from the kids, if you're talking about the odd dinner out -sure that's nice to get a break from young kids. If you're talking about taking long vacations without them then I disagree with that.

As much as my wife means to me and I'm sure I mean to my wife, I could never put her ahead of my children (and she would never put me ahead of our kids). The most important part of our marriage from the time our son was born (and subsequently our daughters) was their well being. I can't explain why - that's just how I hope human beings are programmed. This does not/should not mean spoiling your children, no. It does mean their needs being putting them ahead of yours.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 6,823 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

My Mom passed away in 2002. How can she possibly be writing a blog in 2013?

Thanks Mom!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Why My Kids Are NOT the Center of My World

I believe this lady who wrote the blog post was somewhat careless about her presentation and product. There's nothing wrong with kids being at the "center if the universe" as long as you train them properly in the way they should go. Her idea seems to be that too many people coddle their children and engage in "helicopter parenting", which is going to hurt them and society in the long run. While coddling and sheltering them is relative to your children being the "center I your universe", it is only one part of the spectrum of parenting behaviors. Just because you make your kids the "center of your universe" doesn't mean you coddle them. Her point was excellent, but her blog title was dumb and her approach was ham-fisted. It's a great blog post with a crap title.

My children have been at the "center of my universe" for some time, but I haven't coddled them. I've taught and continue to teach them several lessons:
    1. Put God first.
    2. Life can be extremely tough and unfair, and you have to learn how to handle it. As the great Winston Churchill said, "When you're going through hell, keep going."
    3. Talent will only get you so far. Hard work and tenacity will take you much farther. If Eddie Van Halen didn't work hard to make it, he'd have never made it. I can point out thousands of bass players better than the reviled Gene Simmons, but he and the others worked their asses off and made big sacrifices to make it; KISS was tenacious and fearless, never afraid to work hard. "Never, never, never give up."
    4. Treat others as you'd have them treat you, which is a corollary of #1. However, sometimes you have to endure mistreatment. There comes a time when you have to cut your ties with people who treat you poorly; you need to know when that time is (and hopefully they figure it out quickly...and spousal abuse is never, ever acceptable).

My son Seabass has made some mistakes in his young life - my friend SNIC can vouch for this - but he's a fighter. He's a kind and loving young man, but he is strong and can weather tough times. Raising him was not easy, and I am far from a perfect parent, but he embodies these four lessons I mentioned above. I thank God for my son every day.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 11.09.13 at 06:18 AM.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

One more thing:
    5. The world owes you nothing, which is exactly what it will give you. Figure out what you want to do and then go for it. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and prepare to be surprised.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Just say no.

Can't stress how important this is. I remember before my mother would take us to the store, if money was tight, we were told "you AIN'T getting anything". It's NOT necessary for kids to have something EVERYTIME a stop at a store is required. It then becomes expected.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 11,735 Times in 6,503 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    3. Talent will only get you so far. Hard work and tenacity will take you much farther. If Eddie Van Halen didn't work hard to make it, he'd have never made it. I can point out thousands of bass players better than the reviled Gene Simmons, but he and the others worked their asses off and made big sacrifices to make it; KISS was tenacious and fearless, never afraid to work hard. "Never, never, never give up.
    Great examples,Marc!

Both of these men couldn't even speak English when they came to America as children. Mr. Simmons had it even worse because his father abandoned him. The man went from a little boy in Haifa watching bombs go off while screaming for his father, to a LEGEND. ( whether you like it or not, KISS haters)

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen