Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Default Coach fired over Hooters party

Coach fired over Hooters party

When Corbett Middle School football coach Randy Burbach asked his team where they wanted to have their end-of-season awards party, a majority of the players responded with the most unsurprisingly pubescent restaurant choice: Hooters.

Perhaps also not surprisingly, Burbach wanted to take the team there. When his plans were met with resistance, Burbach told his boss he would rather risk his job than change the party's venue.

So, he was fired.

The Associated Press reports that Corbett (Ore.) School District athletic director Jean-Paul Soulagnet sent a letter to parents Monday notifying them that any trip to Hooters would not be a school-sanctioned event.

"Some might say that this restaurant objectifies women," he wrote. "I think [the venue] sends the wrong message to our young men and that saddens and worries me the most."

Before being fired, Burbach told local TV station KGW he wasn't going to move the event because he wanted to teach his players to stand up for their beliefs.

"Not allowing myself to be bullied by a vocal minority is the war I want to win," he said.

Soulagnet disputes that characterization of events, saying Burbach was "unyielding" in his desire to hold the party at Hooters and was not open to any compromise.

"I asked him to change it because I want the kids to enjoy their season," Soulagnet said Tuesday. "If there are one or two kids (who are) not going to come because they're not comfortable or their parents are not comfortable, then we need to change it."

According to the letter sent to parents, school district policy does not allow school events to be held at Hooters for "teams, groups, or clubs across the board and at at all levels including high school."

Three or four families objected to the Hooter's plan, and Souagnet understood why.

"Hooters is known worldwide for a number of things," he said, "and I don't think food is one of them."

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...-oregon-110513

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Y'know I just.....

excuse me...........ahh.....ahh.......ahhhchooopussificat ion

Anyways...where was I?

It's fuckin Hooters not a strip joint. It's a family restaurant where the waitresses happen to be wearing shirts that are a couple sizes smaller than their funbags can handle. And their wings are fuckin amazing.....

"If there are one or two kids (who are) not going to come because they're not comfortable or their parents are not comfortable, then we need to change it."

Jesus Christ.....ughhhh Jesus fuckin Christ.....Id like to know what high school football player would be uncomfortable with going to Hooters. Find me one.

How is this any different than going to a restaurant where the waitresses are required to wear short dresses or skirts where if you tilt your head at the right angle you can see their glorious backsides?

The fear that our society shows for the slightest whiff of sexuality is seriously unhealthy.

Props to the coach for falling on such a dull sword held by the PC school board idiots.
    Last edited by MF5150; 11.07.13 at 09:15 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Dude. Middle School.

Lol....I'm as far from uptight as you get but this coach is a moron. No sensible middle school coach now or 30 years ago would think this is a good idea.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

so to review:

1) Coach plans trip to hooters with his middle school age players.
    2) he's told by his boss to not do this, and if he does it he'll be fired.
    3) he says he'd rather be fired then to listen to his boss.
    4) the trip happens.
    5) he's fired as promised.

hope he's not looking for sympathy. Some things are worth losing your job over. A trip to f-ing hooters is not one of those things in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Dude. Middle School.

Lol....I'm as far from uptight as you get but this coach is a moron. No sensible middle school coach now or 30 years ago would think this is a good idea.
    Why?

What so bad about Hooters? It's a clean, respectful, family restaurant. Never once have I been there and felt, "God what a sleazy joint...". God forbid a ten year old boy sees a woman with big breasts.

Again it's not like he took them to the fuckin Titty Twister.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Why?

What so bad about Hooters? It's a clean, respectful, family restaurant. Never once have I been there and felt, "God what a sleazy joint..."

I've never been to one and thought to myself "man this is the place to have a party for 11 and 12 year olds"

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I've never been to one and thought to myself "man this is the place to have a party for 11 and 12 year olds"
    If you did have those thoughts Id hope that you're seeking counselling for your problem.

When I go somewhere I don't think to myself...."I wonder if this place would be suitable for a middle school football team party".

To each their own. You guys think its irresponsible. I don't.

That being said, knowing the PC world we live in there's no way, if I wanted to keep my job, that Id take my team there.

I think when we were all 12 we were all thinking the same things these kids were thinking when they said they wanted to go to Hooters so with age lets not try to revise our thoughts and compulsions.
    Last edited by MF5150; 11.07.13 at 09:28 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Why?

What so bad about Hooters? It's a clean, respectful, family restaurant. Never once have I been there and felt, "God what a sleazy joint...". God forbid a ten year old boy sees a woman with big breasts.

Hey, I have nothing against Hooters.

But come on. It's poor judgement on that dummies part. Hooters carries a certain reputation and stigma. It just does. You tell your boss you're taking a bus load of 11 and 12 year olds there and you wonder why your boss has an issue with it?

I ran a YMCA youth camp for 12 year old in 1991. I would never have considered doing this even then. This isn't a 2013 pussification thing in my opinion. It's common sense and lousy judgement. A dumb battle to pick.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think the dude shoulda been fired. Make him do 8 hours of community service. Probably shoulda taken them to Dave n Busters.

That said, I had the Daytona wings, breaded, last week. Pretty damn good.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Nor have I. Then again when I go somewhere I don't think to myself...."I wonder if this place would be suitable for a middle school football team party".

To each their own. You guys think its irresponsible. I don't.

That being said, knowing the PC world we live in there's no way, if I wanted to keep my job, that Id take my team there.

I think when we were all 12 we were all thinking the same things these kids were thinking when they said they wanted to go to Hooters so with age lets not try to revise our thoughts and compulsions.
    if the parents and his boss said it was fine, then cool have your party there (even though i think it's highly inappropriate). But when his boss said he'd be fired if he did, well we're dealing with a real jackass here.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    if the parents and his boss said it was fine, then cool have your party there (even though i think it's highly inappropriate). But when his boss said he'd be fired if he did, well we're dealing with a real jackass here.
    Eh. It just doesn't rub me the wrong way like it does you guys.

And speaking of rubbing me....

Ill be back in 5-10.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

I would never in a million years take students to a Hooters restaurant. What this guy was thinking, I don't know. It sounds like he wanted to get fired.

Just subbing, much less having my own class, I have had freak out moments. Once a teacher told me to use his Netflix on his computer to show a movie (through the LCD projector). I couldn't get it to work, so I searched my Amazon Prime.

You're supposed to stay PG and even that gets inappropriate. I put Goonies on and within the first 5 minutes there's a situation where they are fooling with breaking the dick off of a statue. I ran to the computer and turned that off. Once there was only 3 students in class and I decided to watch a documentary that I figured would not have anything bad--Freakonomics. It's not rated, but in the very first segment on names determining a person's outcome, they cut to a strip club with girls dancing and their breasts covered with big lettering (showing their names). You've never seen me run so fast to turn that off.

I was in another situation yesterday where there was ONE student in class (testing was going on that day) and it was the end of the day and I put on the pilot episode of Under the Dome. It's TV-14 and on CBS (not, like, HBO) so I figured no biggie. Two and a half minutes in a naked (but covered) girl is riding the shit out of her naked boyfriend. They're sweating and breathing heavily and humping each other.

All of these stores are HIGH SCHOOL, not even middle school.

I'm sure nothing will happen, but it still scares the shit out of you. I can't even fathom saying, "I'm taking the kids to Hooters for lunch."

Another thing: schools can't do anything about the "Save The Boobies" and "Save the Ta-TAs" shirts and belts that kids wear because it is "Breast Cancer Awareness." (Is there anyone not aware of breast cancer at this point?) So you have to let them wear the stuff.

Just seeing students in that stuff makes me uncomfortable--and I do see it at middle schools. Imagine trying to keep things in line when you have a 14-year old female student with double Ds wearing a tight shirt with giant letters saying, "Save The Ta-Tas." I don't even think that is appropriate for class, much less taking a group of them to a place named after tits.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I would never in a million years
    Another thing: schools can't do anything about the "Save The Boobies" and "Save the Ta-TAs" shirts and belts that kids wear because it is "Breast Cancer Awareness." (Is there anyone not aware of breast cancer at this point?) So you have to let them wear the stuff.

Just seeing students in that stuff makes me uncomfortable--and I do see it at middle schools. Imagine trying to keep things in line when you have a 14-year old female student with double Ds wearing a tight shirt with giant letters saying, "Save The Ta-Tas." I don't even think that is appropriate for class, much less taking a group of them to a place named after tits.
    Any kid wearing one of those shirts would get smacked upside the head if I was a teacher.

Breast Cancer Awareness isn't about saving tits.

It's about saving lives.

It's like those guys who went around motorboating girls. The video is on YT. They were donating money so that's good but the message they said was, "We're going to try to save some boobies".

Idiots.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Any kid wearing one of those shirts would get smacked upside the head if I was a teacher.

It's about saving lives.

It's like those guys who went around motorboating girls. The video is on YT. They were donating money so that's good but the message they said was, "We're going to try to save some boobies".

Idiots.
    Lighten up, Francis. Women themselves run with the "save our tits" theme. A few that come to mind-

-Don't let cancer steal 2nd base

- Thanks for the mammories

- Save the hooters

- Save the ta-tas

I do the big Boston breast cancer walk every year and see some funny t-shirts on women. Often the survivors themselves.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

It's about saving lives.

Idiots.
    Well, then you'd be fired like this guy. I don't disagree--I think it is in appropriate--but schools can't do anything. Then you're "anti-cancer awareness." So you deal with it. But it doesn't make me comfortable.

That's why I couldn't even imagine taking my students to Hooters.

When I was in 7th grade, my father was my school's basketball coach. At that time (and maybe it still is) there was a huge junior high basketball tournament that took place a couple hours away in a small town. I went in 7th and 8th grade.

It was far enough away that you really couldn't commute, so we spent the weekend there. My father was also a teacher at the school, as was the dad of one of my teammates. One day we had a large gap between games. White Men Can't Jump was out in the theaters and happened to be playing there.

There were other PG and G movies out, but a movie about basketball seemed to be a great fit. One of my teammates mothers came out of the theater as a group of us were standing there deciding on a film. My father and his coworker asked what she'd seen, and she said White Men Can't Jump. It is rated R, so they asked if it was bad. She said, "No, nothing too bad. It's fine."

My dad and the other teacher took a chance on that and took us to see that movie. They said they sat there the entire time wondering if they were going to lose their jobs if this got out. There's a TON of inappropriate stuff in there.

That is actually worse, but often times it is about perception. Hooters may be a wing place where the women wear clothes (though not much) and there is no age limit, but you're taking kids to a place that might as well be called "Boobies!" or "Tits," and expecting the school to be all, "Sure, sounds great, no issues here."

To defy the school was the ultimate in stupidity.