Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Surprise! Jobless workers don't want to work

A new study reveals that one of three people who are jobless in America simply doesn’t want to return to a time clock and a paycheck – leading Fox News financial analyst Stuart Varney to warn America is turning into Europe.

http://research.barcelonagse.eu/tmp/...papers/728.pdf

Their analysis found, “In words, the decline in the fraction of marginally attached was caused by a reduction in the propensity of inactives to become marginally attached … and an increase in the propensity of marginally attached to become inactive.”

Or, the share of jobless Americans over age 16 who say they don’t want a job is at 34.3 percent.

Accordingly to the Wall Street Journal, “Americans aren’t just leaving the labor force – those who have left it are drifting further away.”

That contributes, analysts say, to the persistently poor unemployment rate in the United States under Barack Obama’s presidency, which started out at 7.8 percent in January 2009 and now is only fractionally lower, at 7.3 percent.

Fox News’ economic analyst Stuart Varney said it’s like America is becoming Europe, and he noted part of the issue is the rising social benefits available to Americans. Under Obama, food stamp use has skyrocketed, disability settlements have bloomed, and unemployment benefits have been stretched to the limit.

“We’re getting more and more like Europe,” Varney said. “Some people are increasingly work-averse.”

He said the century-old American work ethic of “get out, go to work, earn the money” is
    declining.

People today, he said, simply don’t get fulfillment from that.

The rise in the “I-don’t-want-a-job” contingent was especially strong among young people and women, the report said.

Possibly because they were in school, or staying home with their children.

Varney warned of the rising tide of entitlements in America.

“You’ve got to have [economic] growth,” he said.

“Messrs. Barnichon and Figura found the decline in people who want a job wasn’t driven by people entering the labor force. It was driven by people switching from wanting a job to not wanting one,” the Wall Street Journal reported.

Number of the Week: Why Don’t More People Want a Job?

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/...le-want-a-job/

Yet... Claims to have NPR has the answers...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...-the-workforce
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

As I've mentioned before in other threads, I'm a recruiter and work to place people into various positions. Most of the time, these are temporary positions that aren't glamorous, but they will pay some bills--and more importantly--possibly lead to better opportunities.

I talk to people on a daily basis that turn down positions because it isn't their dream job. That in and of itself isn't a problem if they are currently working, but many of these people have been out of work for months--and in some cases, years. What is missing with these folks is the desire to work their way out of their situation. To them, they want to skip the step ladder and go directly to their goal, and damn it, you owe them that.

I've also run into people that have told me they need to take less than the offered pay for the position because earning over a certain amount means they will lose government benefits or force them to pay a higher rent (or force them to move). God forbid these people better their situations...
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    As I've mentioned before in other threads, I'm a recruiter and work to place people into various positions. Most of the time, these are temporary positions that aren't glamorous, but they will pay some bills--and more importantly--possibly lead to better opportunities.

I talk to people on a daily basis that turn down positions because it isn't their dream job. That in and of itself isn't a problem if they are currently working, but many of these people have been out of work for months--and in some cases, years. What is missing with these folks is the desire to work their way out of their situation. To them, they want to skip the step ladder and go directly to their goal, and damn it, you owe them that.

I've also run into people that have told me they need to take less than the offered pay for the position because earning over a certain amount means they will lose government benefits or force them to pay a higher rent (or force them to move). God forbid these people better their situations...
    hard to blame the 2nd group of people. That's a bad system that is encouraging people not to find work.

The first group is a major issue in society.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    hard to blame the 2nd group of people. That's a bad system that is encouraging people not to find work.

The first group is a major issue in society.
    The 2nd group is a result of poor government policy. The first group is what happens when that policy is continued for multiple generations.

I wouldn't care if someone was lazy and chose not to do anything--that's been going on since the dawn of man--except that my tax money goes to pay for the services they demand in return for doing nothing.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    The 2nd group is a result of poor government policy. The first group is what happens when that policy is continued for multiple generations.

I wouldn't care if someone was lazy and chose not to do anything--that's been going on since the dawn of man--except that my tax money goes to pay for the services they demand in return for doing nothing.
    yup.