Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, 1984, 5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Not Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm the first to admit, I love Van Halen, albeit I'm not as diehard a fan as others here. I really only started listening to their stuff midway through 2001. It's true, my patience hasn't run out like many-a-fan because I haven't been waiting as long, but bear with me--what does Van Halen mean to you?

I first heard Van Halen in the wrestling flop of a movie, "Ready to Rumble". I'd heard stuff prior to that--Humans Being in Twister, everyone knows "You Really Got Me", and of course, everyone might as well Jump. But when I watched Ready to Rumble and heard Mike and Eddie singing "Running with the Devil", I immediately got the song on my computer, and listened to it over and over again. Dave's superb lyrics and shrieking hysterics combined with Eddie's tremendous guitar playing and the all around chemistry of the band made this one of the most technically perfect and great to listen to songs I'd ever heard.

And it was just a sign of what was to come.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Band at that point, just the song--which is still among my favorites, but I started listening to classics--Unchained, I heard it on the radio in my friend's car, and so on.

When I went on vacation in the Summer, I was looking around for something to listen to in the car, and noticed a cassette--Van Halen "5150". Yeah, I know, Dave fans--"Oh, way to pick the first cheese-Hagar album". I'm of the ilk who likes Hagar, sure I like Roth better, but Hagar provided a lot of classics that were great--and 5150 was one of the best Albums I'd ever heard by any band. From the opening of "Good Enough" which I recognized from Spaceballs, to Dreams, to 5150, and even the highly underrated Love Walks In, it was a good album. I didn't like Inside at all, but the rest of the album was classic stuff.

But I was completely thrilled when I got the CD "Best of Van Halen Volume 1". I had never heard Eruption, but always knew Eddie Van Halen was the number one guitar player in history. When I listened to Eruption, this was verified--I was thoroughly amazed. Unchained, Dance the Night Away, Jump, Panama, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love--all great Dave Era songs. I was happy to see "Dreams" on the Album, and listened to the ones I hadn't heard--to find I'd been listening to "Right Now" since I was a kid! I recognized the intro piano right away, as my parents had always played it on car rides. Humans Being, Can't Stop Loving You(despite what others say) are great songs, and When It's Love is perfect for my mood often.

What does Van Halen mean to me? Van Halen is emotion expressed through music. The albums with DLR were about rockin', partyin', and havin' one hell of a good time. The Sammy albums were toned down, calmer, and a bit more mature--but both work on different occasions. Both are great. I hadn't heard much Gary stuff, but recently, a person posted what was written about Gary by Bradman from the Pleasure Dome. I think "Without You" and "Fire in the Hole" are pretty good songs, but his redone classic VH Songs live are excellent. He does a better job than Sammy did on Panama, and his versions of Unchained, Panama, Romeo Delight and Humans Being are amazing. Gary should have been given a longer shot, but he couldn't quite compare to Sammy and Dave.

Van Halen is one of(the best, in my opinion) the best bands in history, no doubt. It's sad that they're taking so long, but you have to understand, they don't want to disappoint the fans like they did with VH3. I know, it's disappointing how quiet they've been, but maybe they're just trying to come up with some tremendous quality music, to remind the fans of what made Van Halen so good.

David Lee Roth was great, true--but he didn't MAKE Van Halen. The Band didn't bomb with Sammy, they did very well. Van Halen will be Van Halen, but Van Halen needs quality singers--whether it be Sammy or Dave, or even someone new, there's always the chance their new stuff could be great.

We all owe a big Thank-you to Van Halen for their two decades + some years of musical excellence, their 13 Albums, 12 of which were Multi-Platinum, all of which hit Gold Status, including the Live and Best of Albums. These guys are great--and even if they call it quits tomorrow, they will always be great--like all bands they've had their ups and downs, but here's hoping to a bright future ahead.

~Panama~
    ~"Don't be squirtin' that water at me or I'll @%$# you're girlfriend!"--David Lee Roth~

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, bein' a diehard Classic fan, a Bug wuz a-gonna hafta razz ya some - but for the perspective you're coming from and for the forum you're in, that post was plenty Good Enough.

Welcome aboard...
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Very well written and from an interesting perspective being a fairly newbie fan (2001?).

Wait til you dig in to "Fair Warning" a little bit. I'ts gonna knock your fucking socks off. Get ready. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I look forward to it. "Mean Street" and "Unchained" are awesome songs, and Fair Warning, along with Women and Children First and Balance are the next on my list to get. I currently have 1984, I have the Van Halen I Record, BOV 1, and Live Right Here, Right Now.

~Panama~
    ~"Don't be squirtin' that water at me or I'll @%$# you're girlfriend!"--David Lee Roth~

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

There is really not too much better than VH1, but Fair warning is usually the hardcores favorite. You will see why. Dont forget VHII bro. Theres some goodies on there too. I'd get it before Balance. Thats just me though [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Panama, welcome! I'm a newbie fan too...starting in fall '98 when I found "Balance" (I discovered VH completely ass-backwards.) I slowly proceeded to collect the albums. I remember when I used to sit with a blank tape in my cassette deck waiting for VH to come on the radio so I could tape it. I still have the tapes.

There's something to be said for becoming a fan now that so many fans are calling it quits with VH.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by seenbad:
    Wait til you dig in to "Fair Warning" a little bit. I'ts gonna knock your fucking socks off. Get ready. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

It's true. It's just a timeless album. It'll be good forever. You know, I didn't like FW the first time I heard it. But somewhere along the line I "got it" and now my socks are never going back on.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The good thing for us new fans is that Van Halen has such an extensive library with different sounds and different attitudes for us to listen to while we're waiting for word from 5150. It's all new to us newbies, but I've heard at least 1 song from each album. Picking a favorite album right now would be difficult, they all have their strong points. Van Halen I: Eruption, ATBL, You Really Got Me, Runnin' With the Devil, a Hall of Fame Album. VHII? I LOVE Dance the Night Away. Of course with WACF you've got the super good Romeo Delight, I love that one. Diver Down, I like Pretty Woman--Fair Warning, duh, Mean Streets and Unchained, 1984: Panama, Jump, 1984, Hot for Teacher, 5150: All but Get Up(I don't like it too much, not bad but not good) and Inside, and so on: other favorites are Runaround, Right Now, When It's Love, Finish What Ya Started, Not Enough, Can't Stop Lovin' You, Don't Tell Me, and Humans Being.

VHIII was OK, I liked Fire in the Hole, and "Without You" was decent. But Van Halen's strongest point is they never punched out the same shit twice: their stuff was always new and great(okay in terms of 3), but it can be good to listen to over and over--and there's so MUCH.

"Fair Warning" is an awesome CD from the sounds so far, and I've only heard Mean Street and Unchained. There's so much VH to get, and unfortunately for me, so much time to do it as there's still no word from he VH Camp. But we still have the classics to groove to in the mean time.

~Panama~

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I would like to point out one thing. All three singers were good singers. They made more of a contribution than just singing however. They were involved in the writing of the lyrics and melodies of the songs. I think for whatever reason, Van Halen 3 was weak because Gary's contribution to the lyrics and melodies wasn't as good as Dave or Sam's. Perhaps he wasn't given the chance? Who knows? We know that the songs were constructed differently than with Sam and Dave. With Gary, he wrote a lot of the lyrics first and Ed put music to them. Whatever they did, it didn't get the same results. Personally I thought Dave wrote the strongest lyrics. Sam seemed to come up with softer melodies, which were good, but as has been said by others, his lyrics were often somewhat repetitive. In the end however, if you listen and like.....that's all that matters.
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen is freedom... ROCK ON PEOPLE. i am a diehard fan but started listening in 2001
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely, a lot of vocalists contribute a lot more to the music than just their words. I'm part of a band(it's a lot of hard work, I can see where Van Halen gets it's problem) we've had a lot of problems with egos in the past, so I can relate to them in that respect--but I used to be Rhythm Guitar, and now I'm the vocalist. I help Stu(the lead guitarist) come up with riffs, give him opinions on what sounds good, and even help come up with some drum stuff. Vocalists play a huge part in a band, definitely. But bands aren't easy, that's for sure. We had a tremendous share of problems, mainly between me and Stu--Stu wanting to play more, and it came to where he said "you stop playing guitar or I leave". I did what I thought was best and decided to drop Guitar for the sake of the band and just sing. I still play Guitar, and intend to work up my skill so maybe someday our current situation, but ANYWAY, onto Van Halen.

Gary definitely had a different way of working, and some of his lyrics didn't make a great deal of sense, that was for sure--but every person learns after their first go, and I feel if Gary had continued with the Band working on their next CD, it would have been better.

~Panama~

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One of my personal favs on Fair Warning is Push Comes to Shove. The base is really thumping on that one [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Welcome aboard, man. It's nice to have another tolerant VH fan around that won't lay the smack down on everything but their favorite era.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey, good post man, and welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a nice crowd, everyone saying "welcome aboard" and "good post". There's really great people here! Thanks for saying the Post was good. I'm just listening to "Not Enough" right now, one of my hundreds of favorites by the Band. I think it's a pretty powerful song. Christmas is coming though, and Fair Warning and WACF are on Santa's List!!!

~Panama~

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Holy shit. Is there anybody else that is excited about this guy listening to FW and WACF for the first time?!!? lol. I cant WAIT to hear what he says after that. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]