Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 07:23 PM
    Liked 6,015 Times in 3,274 Posts

Premium Member

Default SOWELL: The race-hustlers among us

By Thomas Sowell

Years ago, someone said that according to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway.

Something like that happens among people. There have been many ponderous academic writings and dour editorials in the mainstream media lamenting that most people born poor cannot rise in American society anymore. Meanwhile, many poor immigrants arrive here from various parts of Asia, and rise on up the ladder anyway.

Often these Asian immigrants arrive not only with very little money, but also very little knowledge of English. They start out working at low-paid jobs but working so many hours, often at more than one job, that they are able to put a little money aside.

After a few years, they have enough money to open some little shop, where they still work long hours, and still save their money so that they can afford to send their children to college. Meanwhile, these children know that their parents not only expect, but demand, that they make good grades.

Some people try to explain why Asians and Asian-Americans succeed so well in education and in the economy by some special characteristics that they have. That may be true, but their success may also be a result of what they do not have; namely, “leaders” who tell them that the deck is so stacked against them that they cannot rise, or at least not without depending on “leaders.”

Such “leaders” are like the people who said that the laws of aerodynamics showed that the bumblebee cannot fly. Those who have believed such “leaders” have, in fact, stayed grounded, unlike the bumblebees.

A painful moment came for me years ago, when I was on the lecture circuit, after a talk at Marquette University, when a young black student rose and asked: “Even though I am graduating from Marquette University, what hope is there for me?”

Back in the 1950s when I was a student, I never encountered any fellow black student who expressed such hopelessness, even though there was far more racial discrimination then. We knew that there were obstacles for us to overcome, and we intended to overcome them.

The memory of that Marquette student came back to me, years later, when another black young man said that he had wanted to become a pilot, and had even planned to join the Air Force in order to do so. But then, he said, he now “realized” that “the Man” would never allow a black guy to become a pilot.

This was decades after a whole squadron of black fighter-plane pilots made a reputation for themselves in World War II as the Tuskegee Airmen. There have been black generals in the Air Force.

Both these young men — and many others — have learned all too well the lessons taught by race hustlers, in their social version of the laws of aerodynamics, which said that they could not rise.

You don’t hear about racial “leaders” such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson among Asians or Asian-Americans. Here and there, you may see some irresponsible academics peddling that line in the classroom — some of whom are of Asian ancestry, since no race of human beings is completely lacking in fools.

But they do not get the same attention, or draw the same following, as race hustlers operating in black or Hispanic communities. By and large, Asian youngsters rise and fly.

Other groups in times past also arrived on these shores with very little money and often with very little education, at least during the immigrant generation.

A poem by Carl Sandburg, back during that era, referred to a Jewish fish peddler in Chicago: “His face is that of a man terribly glad to be selling fish, terribly glad that God made fish, and customers to whom he may call his wares from a pushcart.”

This fish peddler probably had not gone to college, and so had no one to tell him that he couldn’t make it, and that his children couldn’t rise, because this was such a terrible country.

No one can claim that there was no anti-Semitism in America, any more than they can claim that there was never any anti-Asian discrimination. There was plenty of both. But that is very different from following “leaders” whose message would only keep them grounded, after the skies were open to them as never before.

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

Read more:
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

10.24.16 @ 02:15 AM
    Liked 3,902 Times in 2,292 Posts

he's right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.23.16 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 1,558 Times in 891 Posts

Premium Member

there is a lot of truth to this but there is has alot to do with environment and a lot of it has to do with expectations.

These people who are coming to America in many cases are coming from circumstances that are so far below what we consider poverty and hardship that we just couldn't conceive of it.

so living in the type of poverty we have in this country is a huge step up right off the bat. They are escaping to something better.

but they also have dreams that bring them here...and the gumption to get here. and in most cases it isn't an easy by the time they get here they have years of cultivating those dreams and nurturing them and building them up in their minds . They are going to AMERICA, the land of dreams where everyone can make something of themselves. THAT is what has been told to them, and they believe it

where many living in poverty for generations here are surrounded by a community telling them nothing but negative things...and penalizing them for getting too "uppity"...just reinforcing all the negatives on a daily basis

many people who make it out of poverty say that they did it despite the negative influences around them...but more of them seem to say that they made it out because someone....a family member or mentor encouraged them at the right time.

if we could just get more of these impoverished parents to see that if they want a ticket out of poverty they have the's all these little kids they have that can either be their meal ticket in terms of government handouts now............or they can be their meal ticket for the rest of their lives if they protect them, and stress education for them and surround them with every resource they need to be the successful adults who can keep their parents in a comfortable life

I know that seems like exploitation, but I think that is acceptable