Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Default MS Intruder Kit

I have never had any experience with Mean Street Guitars before, although I've heard great things about them. One of my favorite types of guitar is the EBMM EVH/Axis style guitar. I don't have the money to buy a real one and came across this on the internet.
    http://www.axcessories.com/proddetai...xmsintruderkit
    Anyone have any experience with this, is it worth it or good quality?

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I think I mentioned meanstreet in another post-
    I bought a Wolfgang (I think he calls it the exile) body a while back. I got the quilt top in black. It was really well done! Unfortunately, I think Mitch had put some sort of yellow dye on it before the final clear coats to give it an aged look. It did look aged but has developed a bad case of humidity blisters which has ruined the surface.
    The quilt (for some strange reason) is nowhere near as attractive as it was- seems to have gone darker and harder to see. I thought it might fade if anything. I'm probably going to have to re finish it.
    I also bought two zebra 'van halen' pickups to go with it and they are absolutely amazing-
    Dealing with him is cool though- VERY supportive and great communication.
    Hope that helps ya?
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Yeah that helps, thanks. The only colors available on the site are natural and green, so I think I might sand the finish off and dye it another color (possibly pink, red, or amber) and finish it myself so the humidity blisters wouldn't be an issue. Are the MS VH pickups meant to be a classic era tone or more of a later-VH tone?

Last Online

I think he has both- I've only tried the new era ones (neck and bridge) and they were as good as the hype. I've been tinkering with the idea of buying more and replacing my other pickups with them-
    If you're going to re finish, I'd go with the natural- once the dye is absorbed by the wood it will take a hell of a lot of sanding to get down through it and you'll only have to remove the top coat on a natural- with green you'll have to remove the top coat AND the dye and even then there's a chance you won't be able to totally get rid of it.
    The dye will be deeper in some areas than others so if you sand you'll end up with an uneven surface trying to remove it.
    It's possible that the dye is sitting on a sealer coat though and not actually soaked into the wood?
    Maybe you should contact him and see if he has an unfinished body? Like I said- he's a really nice dude and will try to help you out.
    Last edited by WDFA5150; 10.29.13 at 02:04 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Thanks, I will try to contact him about getting an unfinished body-I've heard nothing but good things about MS. I wouldn't be ordering now anyways, probably more near Christmas time. Thank you for the tips!

Last Online

No worries- good luck with it!
    BTW- there's some good dyes and supplies at 'reranch' I think its called. Its over there in the states so even though they have stuff I could use, it cant be sent through the post to australia and theres nothing like that available here without spending a ridiculous amount of money!
    But from what Ive seen they would be perfect if you go fo a refinish.
    Also- when I got the body I contacted Mitch a few months later to chase a neck and he said that he no longer had the one to match what I had- so if you want a perfect match with neck and body you'll probably need to grab them at the same time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Oh yes, I've ordered paint from reranch before, they're excellent. I also would probably buy the neck and body at the same time, so no worries about that.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I have never had any experience with Mean Street Guitars before, although I've heard great things about them. One of my favorite types of guitar is the EBMM EVH/Axis style guitar. I don't have the money to buy a real one and came across this on the internet.
    http://www.axcessories.com/proddetai...xmsintruderkit
    Anyone have any experience with this, is it worth it or good quality?
    I bought this same kit a while back in tobacco quilt (or what ever it was called when it was offered). The kit is not bad. Looks like they upgraded the trem mine is a ping trem, the tuners are plastic, and I didnt really care for the volume knob. Also, I had to make the trem cavity a little bigger because the back of the trem rubbed against the body a little when divebombing. No pickups come with the kit, thats an added expense. I sanded the white paint off the headstock to the natural wood. Its a decent guitar, looks great too.

you can see the guitar on the right of this pic:
    Last edited by ScottyBHarris; 10.30.13 at 10:41 AM.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I bought this same kit a while back in tobacco quilt (or what ever it was called when it was offered). The kit is not bad. Looks like they upgraded the trem mine is a ping trem, the tuners are plastic, and I didnt really care for the volume knob. Also, I had to make the trem cavity a little bigger because the back of the trem rubbed against the body a little when divebombing. No pickups come with the kit, thats an added expense. I sanded the white paint off the headstock to the natural wood. Its a decent guitar, looks great too.

That's some nice gear!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post

I like that burst. They only offer it now in green and natural, and I don't know how to do a burst paint job. I may either get a green and keep it green or get a natural, sand off the clear, and dye it a different color. Possibly red, blue or purple. It's a tough decision because I've never seen a MM EVH color that looks bad.

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, if you are planning on taking the finish off a guitar, you should just pickup one of the Sterling AX-40 guitars. I have a purple one and love it. Off the shelf, it was perfect even buying from Guitar Center. I picked mine up last Thanksgiving with an excellent coupon to save some $$. It came with a gigbag, but the feel and sound...you cant beat it. I think i paid around 325-350 with a coupon...

I had a less than positive experience with a custom builder, the guitar came and I didn't like the paint job... the relic job looked "pink". So I kept it, well about 6 months later the neck warped and made the buzz unbearable. I contacted the shop and said that I would have to buy another neck. I informed him that it wasn't on him and that changes in the environment can make things change... that's great and all but it was kept at home all the time... no mater. He wanted $200.00 bucks for a replacement. I offered to send the neck to him to inspect... but still he held steady on the $200.00 charge. I said screw it, painted and relic'd one myself for a way less amount of $$. I loved doing the work, learning by trial and error, and telling my friends who made it...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Well I won't rule out the Sterling, but there a couple reasons my main choice right now is the kit. 1) The pickup selector switch is in a better spot (for me at least) on the kit. I think the volume knob would get in the way on the Sterling. Trivial detail, I know. 2) It would be more satisfying to put together the guitar than just pick one out. I know I felt great when I finished my 5150, and it was a good experience to go through and figure things out when you get problems, like you said. Sorry if I'm being too nit picky, and like I said I will definitely consider that Sterling.

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Well I won't rule out the Sterling, but there a couple reasons my main choice right now is the kit. 1) The pickup selector switch is in a better spot (for me at least) on the kit. I think the volume knob would get in the way on the Sterling. Trivial detail, I know. 2) It would be more satisfying to put together the guitar than just pick one out. I know I felt great when I finished my 5150, and it was a good experience to go through and figure things out when you get problems, like you said. Sorry if I'm being too nit picky, and like I said I will definitely consider that Sterling.
    Yea i am not a big fan of the selector switch location... whoever thought of that one...well. Oh yea I agree with doing it yourself. But you mentioned that you might buy one and then strip it down... that's all. If you can get a kit unfinished and DIY... right on brother!!! I would love to see a yellow striped Axis... evil grin!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Well the natural kit comes DIY, and all I would have to do if I wanted to dye or stripe it (since the back is already black and finished) is strip only the front, paint/dye that, and clear the front. I don't think it would be too much trouble.

And yeah, a yellow-striped Axis would look killer!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDFA5150 View Post
    That's some nice gear!!!
    Thanks Brother!
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~