Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Now my dream of hearing LULU live is over!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Damn, that was a shocker. RIP
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 11,773 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Brooklyn's own

I'm not a big fan but I certainly respected the man and his influence. If you grow up in NYC it's almost impossible not to know about Warhol, Velvet Underground, and that whole scene. He certainly managed to capture that time in his most famous song. RIP

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Take a walk on the other side...RIP
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:11 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Another musical great gone. I would guess this has something to do with complications from his liver transplant he had back in June. Up to that point, he was in really bad shape and was reportedly within weeks if not days of dying. That whole thing probably took a tremendous toll on his body.

Not my favorite artist but he had a number of songs that I really liked, equally split between Velvet Underground and solo stuff. I give Reed a lot of credit for doing whatever he wanted artistically that more often than not was not very good, sometimes even unlistenable but never catering to pop trends or lazy. The one album that I still go back to is "New Sensations." The title track and "Turn To Me" still resonate. "Velvet Underground and Nico" is a stone classic.

There's several generations of musicians from Bowie to Perry Farrell that owe this man a big tip of the hat.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default RIP Lou

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

RIP
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

"Satellite's gone up to the sky
    Things like that drive me out of my mind..."

Rest in peace, Lou

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 11,773 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Members Of AEROSMITH, GUNS N' ROSES, MÖTLEY CRÜE, KISS, MOTÖRHEAD React To LOU REED's Death

October 27, 2013

Members of AEROSMITH, GUNS N' ROSES, MÖTLEY CRÜE, KISS and MOTÖRHEAD are among the musicians who reacted on Twitter and Facebook to the passing of Lou Reed, the legendary vocalist and guitarist for THE VELVET UNDERGROUND and acclaimed solo artist. Reed died Sunday at the age of 71, five months after he had a life-saving liver transplant, according to his wife, Laurie Anderson.

Reed's most recent effort was 2011's "Lulu", a collaboration with METALLICA which polarized fans around the world and earned the band some of the most scathing reviews of its career. The effort features the former THE VELVET UNDERGROUND frontman's spoken-word poetry and lyrics combined with METALLICA's musical assault for a jarring experience that doesn't sound like anything METALLICA has ever attempted before. A concept album based on two early 20th century plays by German author Frank Wedekind, the CD was co-produced by Reed, METALLICA, Hal Willner — who has produced albums for Reed, Marianne Faithfull, and Laurie Anderson, among others — and Greg Fidelman. Fidelman also mixed the record.

The collaboration between METALLICA and Reed was sparked by their performance together of Reed's "Sweet Jane" and "White Light/White Heat" at the 25th anniversary of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009.

The songs were all written by Reed with extensive arrangement contributions by METALLICA.

Only two songs on the album are under five minutes in length, while two are more than 11 minutes long and the closing cut, "Junior Dad", clocks in at 19 minutes.

In a recent interview with U.K.'s Kerrang! magazine, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich revealed that he still stands proudly behind "Lulu".

"Somehow I heard 'The View' about a month ago in my car; I don't know if one of my kids was playing it, or how it came on, but I thought it sounded fucking insane. It sounded really, really strong," he said. "I couldn't quite figure out what all the fuss was about. I don't know what people expected a collaboration between METALLICA and Lou Reed to sound like, but I'm proud of it. I'm sure that record will age well within the catalogue and within the history."

Lars cited U.S. talk show host "Howard Stern" as a particularly high-profile example of someone who mocked "Lulu" on release, but later ate his words.

"[He was] one of the many cynics that came around three months later and spent days on the broadcast apologizing, and so there's a whole group of people who keep coming back and saying, 'I was wrong about 'Lulu'!'" Lars said. "It's like, 'Listen, no worries; it's fine, you can think what you want.' We're happy and proud, and Lou Reed is obviously a legend. Who wouldn't want to work with him? If Lou Reed called you up and said, 'Listen, I love your writing for Kerrang! Do you want to do a project together where we could write some poetry?', are you telling me you're going to say 'no?'"

Speaking to The Verge last month, METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett was asked if fan reactions ever factor in when METALLICA is deciding what to do next. Kirk said: "No, because we're doing it for ourselves, man. 'Lulu' is a really good example. I think that 'Lulu' is some of the best stuff we've done. I mean, the song 'Junior Dad' moves me to tears, and working with Lou Reed was such a cool, unique, and special thing for us. Maybe it's not for everyone. Maybe it's a challenge for our fans, but for us — Lars, James [Hetfield, guitar/vocals], Rob [Trujillo, bass], and myself — we loved doing it and it was such a great experience. We look back at it very positively."

In an interview with SPIN magazine, Ulrich was asked if he was surprised by the overwhelmingly negative reaction to "Lulu". "It was more spiteful than anyone was prepared for," Lars replied. "Especially against Lou. He is such a sweet man. But when METALLICA do impulsive riffing and Lou Reed is reciting abstract poetry about German bohemians from 150 years ago, it can be difficult to embrace."

Lars also said that he never had second thoughts when sweet Lou came in with lyrics like "I swallow your sharpest cutter / Like a colored man's dick". "I understand that to some 13-year-old in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, it can all seem a little cringe-worthy, but to someone raised in an art community in Copenhagen in the late '60s, that was expected," he said.

Ulrich told Brazil's Wikimetal in September 2011 that he felt good about recording "Lulu", which came out to poor sales and disastrous reviews in November 2011. Ulrich said, "It's definitely very unique, and whether it's unique in a good way or unique in a not-so-good way, I have no idea yet. The people whose opinions I trust say it's very good. It feels very good; it's a lot of fun to do. But whether it's making a new sound, or paving a new way, I have no idea."

RIP TO A GREAT FRIEND A FELLOW MUSICIAN. FROM MAXES TO THE MASSES YOU MADE THE WORLD SING. I LOVE YOU LOU! #LouReed

— Steven Tyler (@IamStevenT) October 27, 2013

"I'm an artist and I can be as egotistical as I want to be" RIP Lou Reed

— Guns N' Roses (@gunsnroses) October 27, 2013

RIP Lou Reed.Thank you for your beautiful/dark lyrics/music and stance on life.You inspired me from my teenage years right up till today.

— Nikki Sixx (@NikkiSixx) October 27, 2013

Fuck! One of my all time heroes and friends has passed. RIP Lou!

— Dave Navarro (@DaveNavarro) October 27, 2013

Rest In Peace to Lou Reed. You will be missed!

— Official Motörhead (@myMotorhead) October 27, 2013

R.I.P. Lou Reed & thank you & the Velvets. U were my inspiration in the '70's, 4 without you there would have been no punk rock!

— Billy Idol (@BillyIdol) October 27, 2013

RIP Lou Reed. A musician, artist and trailblazer who played by his own rules.

— Paul Stanley (@PaulStanleyLive) October 27, 2013

Wow, this is a real bummer – Lou Reed dead at 71. White Light/White Heat, Street Hassle, Metal Machine Music. Lou Reed was a treasure.

— Danko Jones (@dankojones) October 27, 2013
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

There are several posts that say pretty much how I feel about Lou. He's not my favorite, but he's definitely good and unique. So much of the alternative music we have can be traced back to Lou, either solo or with Velvet Underground...mostly, with VU.

Much like the Pixies (who I love), Lou never sold a ton of records; however, he influenced many, many musicians and therefore he spawned a ton of bands.

Thanks for the music, Mr Reed.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Never really got any of his albums. Always liked his look. Good lyrics. RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Didn't like much of his stuff, but he obviously chose his own path, which you have to admire.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,806 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

Feel the same as others. Liked a few of his songs but really didn't care or follow his career. RIP Lou and thanks for helping us forget about the travesty of VH3 with LuLu