Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default CDC: 'We've reached the end of antibiotics'...

'We've reached the end of antibiotics': Top CDC expert declares that 'miracle drugs' that have saved millions are no match against 'superbugs' because people have overmedicated themselves

By Snejana Farberov
    PUBLISHED: 05:30 GMT, 26 October 2013

A high-ranking official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has declared in an interview with PBS that the age of antibiotics has come to an end.

'For a long time, there have been newspaper stories and covers of magazines that talked about "The end of antibiotics, question mark?"' said Dr Arjun Srinivasan. 'Well, now I would say you can change the title to "The end of antibiotics, period.”'

The associate director of the CDC sat down with Frontline over the summer for a lengthy interview about the growing problem of antibacterial resistance.

Srinivasan, who is also featured in a Frontline report called 'Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria,' which aired Tuesday, said that both humans and livestock have been overmedicated to such a degree that bacteria are now resistant to antibiotics.

‘We're in the post-antibiotic era,' he said. 'There are patients for whom we have no therapy, and we are literally in a position of having a patient in a bed who has an infection, something that five years ago even we could have treated, but now we can’t.’.

Dr Srinivasan offered an example of this notion, citing the recent case of three Tampa Bay Buccaneers players who made headlines after reportedly contracting potentially deadly MRSA infections, which until recently were largely restricted to hospitals.

About 10 years ago, however, the CDC official began seeing outbreaks of different kinds of MRSA infections in schools and gyms.

‘In hospitals, when you see MRSA infections, you oftentimes see that in patients who have a catheter in their blood, and that creates an opportunity for MRSA to get into their bloodstream,’ he said.

‘In the community, it was causing a very different type of infection. It was causing a lot of very, very serious and painful infections of the skin, which was completely different from what we would see in health care.’

With bacteria constantly evolving and developing resistance to conventional antibiotics, doctors have been forced to ‘reach back into the archives’ and ‘dust off’ older, more dangerous cures like colistin.

‘It’s very toxic,’ said Srinivasan. ‘We don’t like to use it. It damages the kidneys. But we’re forced to use it in a lot of instances.’

The expert went on, saying that the discovery of antibiotics in 1928 by Professor Alexander Fleming revolutionized medicine, allowing doctors to treat hundreds of millions of people suffering from illnesses that had been considered terminal for centuries.

Antibiotics also paved the way for successful organ transplants, chemotherapy, stem cell and bone marrow transplantations - all the procedures that weaken the immune system and make the body susceptible to infections.

However, the CDC director explained that people have fueled the fire of bacterial resistance through rampant overuse and misuse of antibiotics.

‘These drugs are miracle drugs, these antibiotics that we have, but we haven’t taken good care of them over the 50 years that we’ve had them,’ he told Frontline.

Srinivasan added that pharmaceutical companies are at least partially to blame for this problem, saying that they have neglected the development of new and more sophisticated antibiotics that could keep up with bacterial resistance because ‘there’s not much money to be made’ in this field.

WHAT ARE ANTIBIOTICS?

Antibiotics, also known as antibacterials, are types of drugs that destroy or slow down the growth of bacteria.

Antibiotics are used to treat infections caused by bacteria. Bacteria are microscopic organisms, some of which may cause illness.

Before bacteria can multiply and cause symptoms, the body's immune system can usually destroy them. But if white blood cells fail to fight off the infection, antibiotics can help.

The first antibiotic was penicillin, which was discovered in 1928 by Scottish Professor Alexander Fleming.

Such penicillin-related antibiotics as ampicillin, amoxicillin and benzylpenicilllin are widely used today to treat a variety of infections.

READ A LONG, IN-DEPTH INTERVIEW HERE....http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...iotics-period/
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

having had experience with a family member who had a serious MRSA infection, and a recent hospital acquired staff infection, I watched this Frontline program with great interest. This is scary stuff folks, and it's not chicken little running around claiming the sky is falling. The sky has fallen and there are resistant bacteria strains that respond to only the most damaging and toxic of antibiotics.

I am appalled at the runaway use of antibiotics in the meat and dairy industry. There are some people who think that this use of these antibiotics is to protect the public from tainted meat, but it's nothing of the sort. In fact the opposite is happening. It's about growing bigger animals and increasing profit.

It is estimated that the industry uses 4/5ths of the antibiotics and the FDA is only giving them "voluntary guidelines" (in other words carte blanche) for reducing their use in the future and in the meantime, the public is consuming products tainted with resistant pathogens.

• Of the Salmonella on ground turkey, about 78% were resistant to at least one antibiotic and half of the bacteria were resistant to three or more. These figures are up compared to 2010.

• Nearly three-quarters of the Salmonella found on retail chicken breast were resistant to at least one antibiotic. About 12% of retail chicken breast and ground turkey samples were contaminated with Salmonella.

• Resistance to tetracycline [an antibiotic] is up among Campylobacter on retail chicken. About 95% of chicken products were contaminated with Campylobacter, and nearly half of those bacteria were resistant to tetracyclines. This reflects an increase over last year and 2002.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...ng-antibiotics

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

It isn't people who have "over-medicated themselves", because, as far as I'm aware, one has to have a prescription for an antibiotic; it is doctors who have thoughtlessly over-prescribed who are to blame for this situation. And it IS a terrifying one, as Daisy has already said.

We need now for pharmaceutical companies to do the noble thing (for once), and start investing in research into different types of antibiotic. It's no good our letting them get away with saying, "There's not enough profit to be made out of them". They need to be reminded that a spot of long-term thinking is required - you either look again at antibiotics, or you ain't going to have anyone left to buy your other, more lucrative drugs, because they'll be dead.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 11,731 Times in 6,500 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    having had experience with a family member who had a serious MRSA infection, and a recent hospital acquired staff infection, I watched this Frontline program with great interest. This is scary stuff folks, and it's not chicken little running around claiming the sky is falling. The sky has fallen and there are resistant bacteria strains that respond to only the most damaging and toxic of antibiotics.

I am appalled at the runaway use of antibiotics in the meat and dairy industry. There are some people who think that this use of these antibiotics is to protect the public from tainted meat, but it's nothing of the sort. In fact the opposite is happening. It's about growing bigger animals and increasing profit.

It is estimated that the industry uses 4/5ths of the antibiotics and the FDA is only giving them "voluntary guidelines" (in other words carte blanche) for reducing their use in the future and in the meantime, the public is consuming products tainted with resistant pathogens.

• Of the Salmonella on ground turkey, about 78% were resistant to at least one antibiotic and half of the bacteria were resistant to three or more. These figures are up compared to 2010.

• Nearly three-quarters of the Salmonella found on retail chicken breast were resistant to at least one antibiotic. About 12% of retail chicken breast and ground turkey samples were contaminated with Salmonella.

• Resistance to tetracycline [an antibiotic] is up among Campylobacter on retail chicken. About 95% of chicken products were contaminated with Campylobacter, and nearly half of those bacteria were resistant to tetracyclines. This reflects an increase over last year and 2002.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...ng-antibiotics
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    - you either look again at antibiotics, or you "ain't" going to have anyone left to buy your other, more lucrative drugs, because they'll be dead.
    Deb, Chris is playing with your computer again.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Deb, Chris is playing with your computer again.
    Hehehee! No, it's OK - it's all me! I'll use "ain't", when I feel the circumstances warrant it...In this instance, I was trying to sound sort of assertive-ish, in a gangster-sort-of-way?
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 11,731 Times in 6,500 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Hehehee! No, it's OK - it's all me! I'll use "ain't", when I feel the circumstances warrant it...In this instance, I was trying to sound sort of assertive-ish, in a gangster-sort-of-way?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen