Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the news about Eddie's behavior at NAMM as well as at previous NAMM's got me to thinking about why Ed is the way he is.

We all know that Eddie is talented, but I don't think we fully realize just how talented he really is. The guy has a gift that is beyond what any of us will ever fully understand. He is a musical genius. His train of thought is very different than that of a normal person. Ed doesn't exceed at guitar alone. He is also, from all accounts, a great bass player, a classically trained pianist, and from what I've heard, he's also a damn good drummer. Now, he states that he's been playing "cello" more than guitar. IMO, I'd say that he actually finds the guitar boring, hence the need to take on a different instrument.

Eddie's genius also goes beyong his musical abilities. He was the first to put a humbucking pickup into a Strat-style guitar. He, along with Floyd Rose, designed the first locking tremolo system. He had the brilliant idea of using a variac on his Marshall to lower the voltage so that he could run the amp full tilt at a lower volume. He is the reason for modern day high-gain master volume amplifiers! He developed the D-Tuna for dropped-D tuning. The list goes on and on.

If you've ever seen the movie "Pollock" or read any books about Jackson Pollock, you'd know that he was a talented, innovative oil/canvas artist. You'd also see that he had a hard time functioning in society. He liked to be secluded and spend most of his time painting. He was also obsessive-compulsive, was an alcoholic, and generally didn't feel comfotable around people he didn't know. The most significant thing about Pollock was that he re-invented himself. He totally changed his style even though he was considered one of the greatest artist's of that time. He changed from doing normal brush strokes to actually "dripping" the paint onto the canvas. This was a radical change that many people couldn't believe.

I see a lot of similarities between Eddie and Pollock. Both extremely talented; Both obsessive-compulsive; Both smokers and alcoholics; Both uncomfortable around people. The thing that I am wondering is will Eddie re-invent himself the way that Pollock did? I'm not sure if he would to that extreme, but it's not impossible.

While I don't think Eddie would ever give up the guitar completely, I do think that he will do some radical things eventually. Would he ever put out an album of cello music? Na. But, the fact that he has been playing cello more than guitar says something. I think he will always continue to try and push his boundaries be it musically or otherwise.

Maybe I'm stretching a bit with this, but I thought I'd put it out there for all of you to think about.

[ January 21, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Roy Munson ]
    The name's Munson. Roy Munson.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

You are correct.
    And Ed is the kind of person who doesn't really like to be with people he doesn't know.
    He likes to be at his home studio making music, weather it's guitar, cello, piano, bass or any other instrument you may think about.

Let's just hope in the near future we can hear the music he is making.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Great post Roy I agree with you 99.999%, but you forgot to add the Tuba to his list of musical instruments he can play
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems that a lot people who have genius abilities are also self destructive. i.e. Billie Holiday, Motzart, Whitney Houston, Hendrix...It's very sad to think that could happen to Eddie as well. But what do I know?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by a.f.u.:
    It seems that a lot people who have genius abilities are also self destructive. i.e. Billie Holiday, Motzart, Whitney Houston, Hendrix...It's very sad to think that could happen to Eddie as well. But what do I know?
    Hmmmm.......good point. I actually could have gone into the whole "self-destruct" thing a bit more. Pollock did self-destruct whereas Ed hasn't yet. Hopefully he doesn't.

My wife actually got me interested in Jackson Pollock a while back. She initially figured that I would relate to him. I play many instruments such as guitar, drums, bass, piano, trumpet, trombone...all self-taught. And, I record my original music by myself. I play my drum tracks just with the song I hear and have created in my head with no metronome or other accompaniment. Then, I add layers of guitar, bass, and vocals. Kind of like a painting in a way. It just comes natuarally.

I do, however, think that Ed relates to Pollock more than I do!!! LOL
    The name's Munson. Roy Munson.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Excellent points Roy! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online