Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Default 2013/14 NBA season

Let's kick it off with some good news instead of how much a bunch of homos The Miami Heat are.: (can a mod make this a sticky?)

NBA Finals changed to 2-2-1-1-1NEW YORK (AP)
    The 2-3-2 NBA Finals format is following David Stern out of the league.

NBA owners unanimously voted Wednesday to return to the 2-2-1-1-1 format, believing the travel inconveniences that teams faced when Stern became commissioner nearly 30 years ago no longer exist.

Beginning with the 2014 finals, the higher-seeded team will host Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The lower seed gets Games 3, 4 and 6, following the same format the NBA uses in all other rounds.

The current format was instituted in 1985, Stern's first full year in charge, in part to ease the amount of cross-country travel with the Celtics and Lakers frequently meeting for the championship. But critics felt it gave an edge to the lower-seeded team.

''There certainly was a perception ... it was unfair to the team that had the better record, that it was then playing the pivotal Game 5 on the road. So this obviously moves that game back to giving home-court advantage to the team with the better record if it's a 2-2 series,'' Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said.

The vote came during Stern's final preseason meeting with his board of governors. Owners also voted to add an extra day between Games 6 and 7.

The league's competition committee had recommended the change last month back to 2-2-1-1-1, which was used in all but one finals from 1957 to 1984.

The change to the 2-3-2 format was one of the earliest made by Stern, who has often said he was acting on advice - or complaints - about the travel from former Celtics boss Red Auerbach. But with commercial flights long since replaced by charters, teams didn't have the same difficulties now with the number of trips.

Instead, the ones who had the higher seed found it more inconvenient, Stern said, to be on the road for as many as eight days in a row when the opponent hosted the middle three games.

RELIVE THE FINAL RUN
    The NBA Finals were filled with unforgettable plays. Check out the Heat's top 10 moments.

Silver, who will become commissioner after Stern retires Feb. 1, is a proponent of the 2-2-1-1-1 format, though he said Stern and other league executives all thought it was time for the change.

''It reached a crescendo where basketball people thought it was important and the business people stood down and said it was no longer necessary for the convenience of transportation or the media,'' Silver said.

Beyond the re-election of Spurs owner Peter Holt as chairman, there was little other business for the owners, who toasted Stern during dinner Tuesday night. Stern said there was a video tribute voiced by Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, along with ''some speechifying'' and ''a series of totally embarrassing photos of me over the last 36 years.''

''I got the opportunity to thank my colleagues at the NBA for their incredible work and saying how pleased I was that the league was in such good hands under those colleagues and Adam's stewardship,'' Stern said.

The owners were also presented with a Stern bobblehead doll. The commissioner said Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert joked that unlike most bobbleheads whose heads nod up and down, Stern's only moves side to side as if shaking its head no.

''It's been a great opportunity,'' Stern said. ''Believe it or not, even including my interaction with the media and the burns that come from being a lightning rod, it's been a great run, and I'm grateful to the owners for giving me the opportunity.''
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 10.23.13 at 03:32 PM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

It's been a great run for stern. Best pro sports commish in my lifetime that I know of..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Basketball

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    It's been a great run for stern. Best pro sports commish in my lifetime that I know of..
    Yer funny.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

thread stuck

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

Lakers to let Kobe be a free agent

Tucked into the bottom of this T.J. Simers column is quite the nugget: The Lakers are supposedly going to let Kobe Bryant become a free agent at the end of this season.

That may or may not mean much by the time this season ends. Bryant, 34, is attempting to return from a ruptured Achilles tendon, and the odds are against him.

But there is possibility that Bryant will not finish his career in purple and gold, and that 20 years from now you'll find a Kobe Bryant jersey in some other color at a thrift store and go, "Oh yeah . . ."

"He becomes a free agent at the end of the season, and Jim Buss says because of the pay structure of the NBA, the Lakers will allow Kobe to become a free agent," Simers writes. "He says he has talked to Kobe and believes they have an understanding, Bryant waiting as a free agent while the team spends to upgrade and then using what is left over to pay Kobe. 'We’ve probably talked,' says Kobe while being somewhat vague, 'but I’m putting off any thought of that.' "

Bryant insists, however, you'll never see him on the floor as a shell of himself.

“It’s not going to happen,” he said. “I’ve talked to a lot of actors who won’t take a role if they don’t think they can execute it.”
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 10.25.13 at 02:31 PM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

That new finals format- if stretched to seven- should end about July 4th now right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Lakers to let Kobe be a free agent

Tucked into the bottom of this T.J. Simers column is quite the nugget: The Lakers are supposedly going to let Kobe Bryant become a free agent at the end of this season.

That may or may not mean much by the time this season ends. Bryant, 34, is attempting to return from a ruptured Achilles tendon, and the odds are against him.

But there is possibility that Bryant will not finish his career in purple and gold, and that 20 years from now you'll find a Kobe Bryant jersey in some other color at a thrift store and go, "Oh yeah . . ."

"He becomes a free agent at the end of the season, and Jim Buss says because of the pay structure of the NBA, the Lakers will allow Kobe to become a free agent," Simers writes. "He says he has talked to Kobe and believes they have an understanding, Bryant waiting as a free agent while the team spends to upgrade and then using what is left over to pay Kobe. 'We’ve probably talked,' says Kobe while being somewhat vague, 'but I’m putting off any thought of that.' "

Bryant insists, however, you'll never see him on the floor as a shell of himself.

“It’s not going to happen,” he said. “I’ve talked to a lot of actors who won’t take a role if they don’t think they can execute it.”
    Seems like Kobe and Buss have talked and either scenario 1 or scenario 2 has been agreed upon without officially being agreed upon

...How badly does Bryant want a sixth ring? And maybe a seventh?

There are three veins of financial thought for Bryant, who turns 35 next month.

If he insists on the maximum $32 million for the 2014-15 season, it's a nonstarter. The Lakers wouldn't pay him that much, and even if they did, the sum would submarine the team's salary-cap space, providing enough room to add only one free agent of note.

Brief refresher: Possible free agents next summer include LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, Luol Deng, Dirk Nowitzki, Danny Granger and Marcin Gortat. Restricted free agents could include Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe.

But if Bryant asks for a more reasonable $10 million to $12 million for 2014-15 and Nash is waived via the stretch provision, there's enough room to sign two big-name players.

Then there's the dynasty-creating way Bryant could turn the Lakers around overnight.

All it takes is a 95% pay cut.

He could accept the veteran's minimum of $1.45 million for 2014-15, allowing the Lakers to sign two big-name guys next summer and set themselves up for another coup in the summer of 2015 with spending power to add another big-ticket player, when LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo could be free agents.

If the Lakers pay Bryant $1.45 million in 2014-15, they would still have his "Bird rights," enabling them to pay him up to $19.5 million for the 2015-16 season, when he will be 37 years old. He would basically average $10.5 million over those two seasons.

Not to be forgotten, Pau Gasol could do the same exact thing in a year, if he's so inclined.

Of course there's one catch. The Lakers couldn't promise Bryant or Gasol that second year at $19.5 million because a prearranged deal would be illegal under the rules of the collective-bargaining agreement...

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul...-2014-20130724

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Let's hope Kobe can still even play first.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 16,520 Times in 9,363 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Let's hope Kobe can still even play first.
    Exactly. A torn Achilles is no joke.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

I think, no, I know, that the Kobe we all know is not coming back. Over the summer I have realized that the player I most admire and got me back to watching every Laker game that I can over the last 17 years, is gone. I will be satisfied if he can still play at a level that is entertaining to watch but not at a cost of the Lakers paying him $30 million just to keep him around.

I am bummed, I thought he had another 2 good years left in him.
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Kobe will be fine, just let him get healthy.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I think a new definition of normal will be needed with regard to the Mamba.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Premium Member

Above, I meant scenario 2 or 3. Paying him $30M (scenario 1) is not going to happen.

Last Online

Premium Member

Here's a story that should remind all of us that the Clippers' success will be temporary because you can't get rid of Sterling http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--cl...012846814.html