Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,505
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Top 10 favorite horror movie themes

    Mine:

    1.



    2.



    3.



    4.



    5.



    6.



    7.



    8.



    9.



    10.



    Predictable I guess.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    With all due respect, I knew your list was wrong when I saw the Halloween Theme at #3. IMO, horror movie themes begin and end with Halloween. And, what, no love for the original Friday the 13th theme???

    You said your list was "predictable," but I'd say not at all.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  3. #3
    Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.21.01
    Age
    49
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,561
    Last Online

    03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Likes
    433
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

    Default


  4. #4
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Not so much theme if you will but music that I like from a couple of my favorite horror movies.

    I appreciate the overall soundtrack as opposed to a few seconds of music or sound effects. Sorry for derailing.





  5. #5
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,193
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts


    Donor

    Default Top 10 favorite horror movie themes

    I'll save space and only list one. The only one that- at the time- completely f@#cked with my head. The Incredible Shrinking Man. Watched it on a local show called Creature Feature when I was about 10 or so. The only movie EVER that gave me nightmares. Probably why I'm no fan of cats and spiders to this day. Lol.

    Edit: I see a Hitchcock movie listed. He is definitely up there as a favorite. Might have been the black and white effect, as I still love them to this day. Edit two: sorry my first wasn't a theme. Just reread the thread title.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nostalgia Act; 10.20.13 at 07:21 AM.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  6. #6
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,667
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Likes
    1,044
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

    Default

    Begins and ends with "Tubular Bells" - if you don't know which movie that's from, then I can't help you!

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    I'll save space and only list one. The only one that- at the time- completely f@#cked with my head. The Incredible Shrinking Man. Watched it on a local show called Creature Feature when I was about 10 or so.
    Are you from the Bay Area?

    This Creature Features?


  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,193
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    No. Maybe Creature Feature was national with local host. The one in my area was hosted by a local siding company.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Tubular Bells.


    I'd post a YT link to it but that would mean Id have to listen to 5-8 seconds of it in order to copy and paste it.


    And that's just enough time for me to question if there is a demon in my house.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,505
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    With all due respect, I knew your list was wrong when I saw the Halloween Theme at #3. IMO, horror movie themes begin and end with Halloween. And, what, no love for the original Friday the 13th theme???

    You said your list was "predictable," but I'd say not at all.
    Dawn of the Dead was the first movie I ever loved as a child. I admit that there is some bias there. I think The Thing is simply a better movie than Halloween (which at the end of the day is just a slasher) and the theme just fits so well with the movie. Isolation and claustrophobia have always been more effective in horror to me than the slashers and killers like Myers and Jason.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    I think The Thing is simply a better movie than Halloween (which at the end of the day is just a slasher) and the theme just fits so well with the movie. Isolation and claustrophobia have always been more effective in horror to me than the slashers and killers like Myers and Jason.
    The question isn't which is a better movie, but which theme is best. Regardless of it "fitting" with the movie, Halloween's Theme is simply classic, as is the film, if you want to get right down to it--slasher flick or not.
    Both films were made by Carpenter, so I'm sure he'd appreciate the debate.

    Just listened to The Thing theme again and, I gotta say, it's boring. No offense. But you could take that theme and put it over film of MacGuyver rigging up one of his master contraptions and it would fit. When you hear Halloween, you KNOW it's a horror movie!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,505
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    The question isn't which is a better movie, but which theme is best. Regardless of it "fitting" with the movie, Halloween's Theme is simply classic, as is the film, if you want to get right down to it--slasher flick or not.
    Both films were made by Carpenter, so I'm sure he'd appreciate the debate.

    Just listened to The Thing theme again and, I gotta say, it's boring. No offense. But you could take that theme and put it over film of MacGuyver rigging up one of his master contraptions and it would fit. When you hear Halloween, you KNOW it's a horror movie!
    I think how it enhances a movie can very much be a factor in deciding which is the best. The theme for The Thing is more of a atmospheric/mood piece and a lot of people either do not get that, or they find that boring. I disagree with you that you could just slap it on a MacGuyver episode and it would work.

    To me, the Halloween theme is a bit overplayed and not quite as effective to me as it used to be. Same thing with Jaws. It is like when some people say that they can't listen to a really popular song because they have heard it so much and it became overplayed to them.

    Since you brought it up earlier... I will add the Friday the 13th theme to that list.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 10.20.13 at 02:54 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    To me, the Halloween theme is a bit overplayed and not quite as effective to me as it used to be. Same thing with Jaws. It is like when some people say that they can't listen to a really popular song because they have heard it so much and it became overplayed to them.
    OK, well now I see where you're coming from. You're sick of the Halloween theme? It's the Stairway to Heaven of horror movie themes. But, you admit that at one time the music had an effect on you--I guess that's why it was #3 on your list. I just think that the Halloween theme, regardless of its popularity, is just about the perfect musical accompaniment to a horror film. (I really hate to be on the side of the popular thing here--it's usually not my style).

    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. This is the first debate I've ever had on horror movie themes!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,505
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    OK, well now I see where you're coming from. You're sick of the Halloween theme? It's the Stairway to Heaven of horror movie themes. But, you admit that at one time the music had an effect on you--I guess that's why it was #3 on your list. I just think that the Halloween theme, regardless of its popularity, is just about the perfect musical accompaniment to a horror film. (I really hate to be on the side of the popular thing here--it's usually not my style).

    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. This is the first debate I've ever had on horror movie themes!
    I wouldn't say that I'm sick of it... It's just that the impact is reduced a little. I still have it as a top theme.

    I can understand how it might seem strange to have a debate about horror themes, but as a kid the horror movies were to me like comic books were to most kids. They were a huge part of my childhood and I have no problem talking about horror movies.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  15. #15
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,667
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Likes
    1,044
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

    Default

    when we saw "Halloween" originally, we thought the theme was just a knock off of "Tubular Bells". Now I haven't seen the movie in ages, so I might hear the theme and not think that, but there's no chance I'd think it was a better horror theme than "Tubular Bells", that is for sure. I think Mitch kind of nailed it a couple of posts back! Maybe not that bad for me, but still it has that quality to it...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Your Top 10 Favorite Horror Flicks
    By FH in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10.14.02, 04:39 PM
  2. Favorite Movie Quotes
    By Panama Dog in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 04.12.01, 04:21 PM
  3. Favorite movie
    By SactoFan in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03.12.01, 05:08 AM
  4. Your Favorite Movie???
    By crossing_over in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10.17.00, 05:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •