Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Default Red Lobster customer to file lawsuit after receipt posted online

Red Lobster customer to file lawsuit after receipt posted online

FRANKLIN, Tenn. -
    The man accused of writing a racial slur on a waitress' receipt says he is the one who has been victimized and is planning to take legal action against Christina Jenkins and the restaurant chain she works for, Red Lobster.

Devin Barnes and his wife dined at the Red Lobster in Cool Springs on September 7. The 20-year-old says he sat down to eat but changed his order to-go due to a family emergency.

Barnes admits he didn't tip Jenkins but also says he didn't write the N-word in the total line of the receipt.

Jenkins posted a picture of the receipt to Facebook and it quickly went viral, prompting an online effort that raised more than $10,000 for the Belmont University student.

Barnes' name was on the guest check. He told News 2 his life has been turned upside since the picture was posted and he has received death threats from all over the world.

He says he was wrongly labeled a racist by people who don't know him and who don't have any proof.

Barnes said, "A lot of people on the Internet who I don't know are calling me a racist and I'm thinking people have their own opinion but I know I am not a racist. I don't see color. I have many mixed color friends."

Barnes says he's also had to change his bank information and obtain new credit cards.

Barnes told News 2 he's confused and upset but taking it "day by day." "No one should go through this at all," he added.

To prove his innocence, Barnes paid a renowned forensic handwriting expert to examine the writing on the guest check and compare it to samples supplied by Barnes and his wife.

"There is evidence to indicate that Devin Barnes did not write the total entry. No significant handwriting characteristic similarities were noted," the expert, Thomas Vastrick, wrote.

Vastrick came to the same conclusion for Barnes' wife.

Barnes says he just wants to know who wrote it and says the restaurant should have done more to answer that question. Because of that, he is planning legal action.

In regards to the possible lawsuit, Mike Bernstein, a spokesperson for Red Lobster said, "No one has contacted us about this and we're not going to speculate about something that hasn't happened. Our employee experienced something no one should have to experience and we remain convinced we took the appropriate actions, given the unique circumstances of the situation."

In an interview last week, Jenkins told News 2 the $10,000 she received is helping her buy a car, pay for school and is helping her church.

She told News 2 if Barnes says he didn't write it then she believes him. She also said she would've blacked out his name had she known it was on the receipt.

Barnes says he isn't mad at Jenkins but would like an apology.

video inside: http://www.wkrn.com/story/23698411/red-lobster-customer
    Put her handwriting to the test!
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

I suspect that someone else did it, but since she has caused him so much harm by putting his info online she should be willing to at least prove that she did not write it herself.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

don't they have cameras focused on the dining area that might show whether someone touched the receipt after he and his wife left the table and before it was picked up?

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

I feel like it is just as possible that the customer wrote it as it is that the server got stiffed and she wrote it herself (or had someone write it) to embarrass the guest.

[soapbox]Alright, look. What are we doing in this society where a tip has become mandatory, so much so that the federal government now takes a piece of this tip? Further, the IRS is now going to treat mandatory gratuity (such as those a restaurant automatically applies to large parties) as income, which means servers would see those tips on their paychecks, not as cash at the end of the night.

I have lots of friends who served and still have a couple that do. But this needs to stop. It's a sweet deal for restaurants. They get to pay minimum wage and we supplement their employees' incomes by tipping 15-20% (though most servers will tell you they average 10%).

Let's all stop tipping and force restaurants to pay their employees their wages, not me. If they want to keep the people they have serving, fine. But they will have to increase their wages. Prices will go up. Fine. The amount out of my pocket won't change. However, if there was great service over and above what is expected, then I will leave a tip on top of your wages--the way it should be.

Let's call it what it really is now: a service tax[/soapbox]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Maybe I am getting cynical as I age but I'm not buying it. I am guessing this was a nice prank that developed in the back after the fact. Probably not her handwriting on the bill but someone she was working with. I bet they laughed and laughed and laughed....

Nice of her to throw the church in there too. All that money helping her buy a car, pay for school and help the church. What a sweet, sweet girl.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I have to admit, the culture of obligatory tipping in the US really does shock me. It seems as though you're treated like pariahs over there if you don't tip - which is an outrageous way to treat paying customers! We do give tips in the UK, to waiting-on staff, and our hairdresser - of approximately 10% - and then, only if the service has been excellent, and we have the desire / can afford it. My GOD, any employee found trying to force a tip out of a customer over here would be given short shrift, I can tell you!
    Last edited by dibblekins; 10.17.13 at 01:52 PM.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    [soapbox]Alright, look. What are we doing in this society where a tip has become mandatory, so much so that the federal government now takes a piece of this tip? Further, the IRS is now going to treat mandatory gratuity (such as those a restaurant automatically applies to large parties) as income, which means servers would see those tips on their paychecks, not as cash at the end of the night.

I have lots of friends who served and still have a couple that do. But this needs to stop. It's a sweet deal for restaurants. They get to pay minimum wage and we supplement their employees' incomes by tipping 15-20% (though most servers will tell you they average 10%).

Let's all stop tipping and force restaurants to pay their employees their wages, not me. If they want to keep the people they have serving, fine. But they will have to increase their wages. Prices will go up. Fine. The amount out of my pocket won't change. However, if there was great service over and above what is expected, then I will leave a tip on top of your wages--the way it should be.

Let's call it what it really is now: a service tax[/soapbox]

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

I've got an old friend from school who is a waitress? (can I still say that?), and she is constantly posting hers and others "bad tippers" receipts on facebook. It's bad form, unprofessional and frankly, annoying.

They think it's funny to expose what they consider a cheap or rude customer, but one day it's could backfire and blow up in their face.

For every big tipper that over compensates, I'm sure there are ten out there that are happy just to have enough money to dine out when they can and still be able to leave a little after the bill is paid.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I have to admit, the culture of obligatory tipping in the US really does shock me. It seems as though you're treated like pariahs over there if you don't tip - which is an outrageous way to treat paying customers! We do give tips in the UK, to waiting-on staff, and our hairdresser - of approximately 10% - and then, only if the service has been excellent, and we have the desire / can afford it. My GOD, any employee found trying to force a tip out of a customer over here would be given short shrift, I can tell you!
    I honestly don't get it. Why is no one speaking up about this? You and I have gone back and forth about minimum wage, and there is no reason to revisit this, but don't you think that those people who think McDonald's should pay their employees $15 per hour should also be fighting for this idea?

Unfortunately, the people making the most noise about that (and I don't mean you, but the people organizing the protests where they hire people to protest because most of the people protesting are not McDonald's employees) don't really care about the people they are talking about. What it really is is the unions whose wages are tied to minimum wage. If minimum wage goes up, the guys in the union see a big bump too.

I really do wish this "service tax," as I call it, would be addressed. Instead, more liberal cities, like San Francisco, have tried to make all tipping mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Ha! I forgot about that. What it really did is remind me how fat Chris Penn got, as well as how fat Madsen and Tarantino have gotten.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Yeah, I've no wish to go over old ground either, LM - but, we do have a relatively decent, mandatory, minimum wage over here - so perhaps tipping isn't felt to be as essential a part of one's pay as it is over there?

Maybe it's just that we're known to be more stingy as a nation, or perhaps it's more a cultural thing - certainly there doesn't seem to be the same level of embarrassment in the States at demanding a tip from one's customers as there would be over here...

Generally speaking, Brits tend to be quite self-effacing - and expecting a tip would be seen as akin to blowing your own trumpet about what a great job you'd done - which wouldn't go down well at ALL.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Actually, the employer gets to pay less than minimum wage, if they choose. In states where "tip credit" is allowed, an employer can pay much less than minimum, in some cases as little as $2.13 per hour, and as long as the server claims enough tips per hour to make up the difference, it's legal. If the server doesn't claim enough in tip wages to make the difference between their actual wage and the minimum wage, the employer has to kick in enough to reach minimum wage....but realistically, the server probably won't have a job there for very long if they don't make enough in tips.

The National Restaurant Association lobbies Washington pretty hard for the laws regarding the wage/tip situation to be exactly as they are.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member
    My comments got me to searching around...

Waitress turns the tables on bad tippers

Have you ever not left a tip at a restaurant or bar? It's the customer's right, but now a Memphis waitress is turning the tables on patrons who leave her with little cash.

Waitress Megan Humphrey says her hard work does not always produce the payoff she expects.

"For every good customer we have, we probably have like six bad ones that come in," she says.

Fed up with zeros on the tip line, Humphrey started offering tips of her own - on Facebook.

"It was just something that I did because I was just so mad in the moment," she explains.

In fact, Humphrey goes way beyond just calling out customers, and actually posts pictures of her tip-less receipts.

"I just got sick of it, so I took pictures to show people, like, I got zero dollars on $117 and gave them perfect service," she says.

Author Emily Yellin, who wrote a book about customer service, says in this case, customers aren't always right.

"Waiters and waitresses have never really had a way to talk back to somebody who gives them a bad tip, and I guess the Internet now is providing that with social media," she notes.

But is Humphrey's perfect revenge on Facebook legal? Rick Harlow, Special Agent-In-Charge of the U.S. Secret Service's Memphis office, saw Humphrey's posts and says she is not breaking any federal laws. But he did offer some advice: "While it's not illegal, at least from my standpoint, it's certainly not very smart, and it's not very ethical. But we don't legislate ethics," he says.

According to Harlow, the private information Humphrey is posting probably will not put her customers at risk for fraud or financial loss.

"It only gives a few digits on the credit card," he says. "It does say the type of credit card, but it doesn't identify the bank or the account number."

And in order for her customers to sue her for invasion of privacy, they would have to incur damages beyond just being called out online. Attorney Jim Summers says that's unlikely.

"And then the other question is, if it's not an invasion privacy, could you put up something in essence and say, 'Somebody is cheap.' The answer is yes," he says.

So what does Megan Humphrey hope to accomplish by calling out customers on Facebook?

"I just want people to be educated on the tipping," she says. "Be educated about it and realize that we don't make minimum wage. That's the main thing. Just realize that we do make $2.13 an hour! We don't make anything, really."

And, she added, if you can't afford to reward good service -- stay home!

"I don't think they should go out to eat in my opinion," she says. "I mean, it's just not fair to me."

http://www.americanownews.com/story/...on-bad-tippers

Who Are The Worst Tippers?

>>>http://waiterrant.net/?p=1597

...and of course.

In restaurants, African Americans still face discrimination, study says

A new study by researchers at North Carolina State University suggests that more than one-third of restaurant servers are discriminating against African Americans.

The study, published online in the Journal of Black Studies, sprang from a survey of 200 servers at 18 chain restaurants in central North Carolina. Of the servers surveyed, 86% were white.

The researchers found that 38.5% of those surveyed reported that the race of customers affected the level of service at least some of the time. Often that meant African Americans received inferior service.

The survey also found that many servers perceived African American customers to be impolite and/or poor tippers. More than half of the servers interviewed reported seeing fellow servers discriminate against African Americans.

Just 10.5% of those surveyed said they had never discriminated against African Americans and had never seen others do so.

"The fact that a third of servers admit to varying their quality of service based on customers' race, often giving African Americans inferior service, shows that race continues to be an issue in our society," said Sarah Rusche, a doctoral candidate in sociology and co-author of the paper.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/148563145.html

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Actually, the employer gets to pay less than minimum wage, if they choose. In states where "tip credit" is allowed, an employer can pay much less than minimum, in some cases as little as $2.13 per hour, and as long as the server claims enough tips per hour to make up the difference, it's legal. If the server doesn't claim enough in tip wages to make the difference between their actual wage and the minimum wage, the employer has to kick in enough to reach minimum wage....but realistically, the server probably won't have a job there for very long if they don't make enough in tips.

The National Restaurant Association lobbies Washington pretty hard for the laws regarding the wage/tip situation to be exactly as they are.
    Thanks for bringing that up. I know that this happens in some states--I believe Washington is one. I just didn't bring it up because in CA it is on top of the $8 minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    My comments got me to searching around...

Waitress turns the tables on bad tippers

Have you ever not left a tip at a restaurant or bar? It's the customer's right, but now a Memphis waitress is turning the tables on patrons who leave her with little cash.

Waitress Megan Humphrey says her hard work does not always produce the payoff she expects.

"For every good customer we have, we probably have like six bad ones that come in," she says.

Fed up with zeros on the tip line, Humphrey started offering tips of her own - on Facebook.

"It was just something that I did because I was just so mad in the moment," she explains.

In fact, Humphrey goes way beyond just calling out customers, and actually posts pictures of her tip-less receipts.

"I just got sick of it, so I took pictures to show people, like, I got zero dollars on $117 and gave them perfect service," she says.

Author Emily Yellin, who wrote a book about customer service, says in this case, customers aren't always right.

"Waiters and waitresses have never really had a way to talk back to somebody who gives them a bad tip, and I guess the Internet now is providing that with social media," she notes.

But is Humphrey's perfect revenge on Facebook legal? Rick Harlow, Special Agent-In-Charge of the U.S. Secret Service's Memphis office, saw Humphrey's posts and says she is not breaking any federal laws. But he did offer some advice: "While it's not illegal, at least from my standpoint, it's certainly not very smart, and it's not very ethical. But we don't legislate ethics," he says.

According to Harlow, the private information Humphrey is posting probably will not put her customers at risk for fraud or financial loss.

"It only gives a few digits on the credit card," he says. "It does say the type of credit card, but it doesn't identify the bank or the account number."

And in order for her customers to sue her for invasion of privacy, they would have to incur damages beyond just being called out online. Attorney Jim Summers says that's unlikely.

"And then the other question is, if it's not an invasion privacy, could you put up something in essence and say, 'Somebody is cheap.' The answer is yes," he says.

So what does Megan Humphrey hope to accomplish by calling out customers on Facebook?

"I just want people to be educated on the tipping," she says. "Be educated about it and realize that we don't make minimum wage. That's the main thing. Just realize that we do make $2.13 an hour! We don't make anything, really."

And, she added, if you can't afford to reward good service -- stay home!

"I don't think they should go out to eat in my opinion," she says. "I mean, it's just not fair to me."

http://www.americanownews.com/story/...on-bad-tippers

Who Are The Worst Tippers?

>>>http://waiterrant.net/?p=1597

...and of course.

In restaurants, African Americans still face discrimination, study says

A new study by researchers at North Carolina State University suggests that more than one-third of restaurant servers are discriminating against African Americans.

The study, published online in the Journal of Black Studies, sprang from a survey of 200 servers at 18 chain restaurants in central North Carolina. Of the servers surveyed, 86% were white.

The researchers found that 38.5% of those surveyed reported that the race of customers affected the level of service at least some of the time. Often that meant African Americans received inferior service.

The survey also found that many servers perceived African American customers to be impolite and/or poor tippers. More than half of the servers interviewed reported seeing fellow servers discriminate against African Americans.

Just 10.5% of those surveyed said they had never discriminated against African Americans and had never seen others do so.

"The fact that a third of servers admit to varying their quality of service based on customers' race, often giving African Americans inferior service, shows that race continues to be an issue in our society," said Sarah Rusche, a doctoral candidate in sociology and co-author of the paper.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/148563145.html
    While I was playing in a band in my mid-20s, my roommates and a ton of my friends worked at the same restaurant. It's a national chain that has a contemporary family feel.

Anyway, they ALL said the same thing. The worst tippers were teenage girls, teachers, and Blacks. All of them.

I was even around one of the other employees who got bumped up from hostess to server who was Black and thought the servers were crazy. One day at a bar with a big group, she said that she didn't believe it, but it is true. "What is wrong with my people?" she said.

Take it for what it is. I will say that one of my best friends who worked there and eventually was a bartender said that while the pattern held true, he gave every one the same service because he didn't want it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. He said he did that because every once in a while, he'd actually get a tip from one of those three groups. If he'd treated them differently, he wouldn't have.

On the flip side, I had a friend who worked there for years who for every single table WROTE IN THE TIP IN PEN IN HIS OWN WRITING and not only did everyone pay it, he never got caught!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

I loved this comment in the 'worst tippers' forum:

"The worst offenders are...Brits (altho if you know how to handle them they can be awesome)".

'How to handle them', like they're unruly puppies, or something!

Entertaining stuff, thanks, 47!

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was a pizza delivery driver in central North Carolina for several years, and overall, I'd say 85% of African-Americans do not tip, regardless of service.

However, the best tipper I had as a regular customer was an African-American lady who lived in the biggest house in the most high-end neighborhood we covered. Consistently fantastic tipper. So I always tried to consider it to be an individual thing, and not inherent to any "type" of customer. I got great tips in trailer parks as well.