Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:27 AM
    Liked 11,724 Times in 6,496 Posts

Premium Member

Default European Union Blocks Execution of Convicted Murderer…in Missouri

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon postponed on Friday the execution of murderer Allen Nicklasson, which had been scheduled for Oct. 23, because of concerns about the state’s plan to use a lethal dose of propofol, a common surgical anesthetic.

The European Union, which is against the death penalty, had threatened to cut off supplies of the drug to the U.S. if the execution went forward, which could have had a widespread impact on hospitals. That seemed to weigh on Nixon, who said his job was “making sure justice is served and public health is protected.” Earlier this week, the governor had said that Europe would not block the executions.

Nixon said he had directed the department to change the execution protocol to use a different form of lethal drug, and said Attorney General Chris Koster would request a new execution date for Nicklasson.

The governor’s announcement comes two days after the Department of Corrections said it would return to a supplier some of the propofol it had planned to use for executions. The supplier of the drug, Morris & Dickson, of Shreveport, La., had pleaded with the state nearly a year ago to return 20 vials it had shipped to Missouri in violation of its agreement with the manufacturer, Fresenius Kabi, of Germany, not to provide the drug for capital punishment.

The department had said it still had some propofol in stock from another supplier. But that manufacturer, Hospira, said it, too, wanted the propofol back because it had not authorized the sale to the distributor, Mercer Medical of suburban Seattle.

“We have written the Missouri Department of Corrections and are notifying the governor’s office requesting that the state not use this product for lethal injection and return it to us,” Hospira spokesman Dan Rosenberg wrote in a statement. Mercer Medical did not return a call seeking comment.

A Fresenius Kabi executive cheered Nixon’s decision.

“This is a decision that will be welcomed by the medical community and patients nationwide who were deeply concerned about the potential of a drug shortage,” John Ducker, chief executive officer of Fresenius Kabi USA, wrote in a statement.

Death by drug injection in Missouri has been stalled by constitutional challenges. The state turned to propofol because drug manufacturers were no longer selling to prison systems the three drugs previously used in the state’s execution protocol. Missouri would have been the first state to use propofol in an execution.

It was not immediately clear where Missouri would turn next for an execution method. Thirteen states use pentobarbital, a drug commonly used to euthanize animals. The drug was used in a death chambers as recently as Wednesday in Texas. But the Danish manufacturer of the drug is not allowing distribution of the drug for executions, and many states are looking for other options.

Every death-penalty state uses injection, a medical procedure, as its primary execution method — which itself has proven problematic. Ending life is anathema to health care professionals, and drug makers are chafing at having their products used. Earlier this year, Koster indicated he would consider using poison gas, which is still a legal mode of execution in Missouri even though the gas chamber has been closed since 1965.

“I don’t think they will go back to older, more barbaric methods of execution,” said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, a nonprofit clearinghouse of information about capital punishment. “I’m not sure what else they may do. At least Missouri is taking the time to look more deeply” without experimenting by using a drug that has never been used in an execution.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri had sued the department earlier this week, alleging that failure to release the records about the state’s propofol supplies was a violation of the state’s open records laws. The suit is pending in circuit court in Cole County. The department released records after the lawsuit which the ACLU said raised questions about whether the department had acted ethically to obtain the drugs.

“Gov. Nixon’s action to halt the Oct. 23 execution shows that he recognizes the many challenges involved with the current execution protocol to use propofol,” Tony Rothert, legal director of the ACLU of Missouri, wrote in a statement on Friday. “It is our hope that any new protocol will be open and transparent. Missourians need to have confidence that the government is behaving legally and ethically when meting life and death punishment on their behalf.”

An attorney for Nicklasson filed a motion in the state Supreme Court on Wednesday to halt the execution. The attorney, Jennifer Herndon, of St. Louis, argued that the use of propofol was untested and that Nicklasson’s legal team needed more time to mount a legal challenge to its use.

Nicklasson was convicted in Lafayette County of killing a man who stopped to help along Interstate 70 after Nicklasson’s car broke down. Nicklasson later killed two more Good Samaritans in Arizona.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...c490665316.htm
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

Really?

How much does a bullet cost? A length of rope? My front bumper?

Just kill the guy and get it over with.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Just let him live in North St. Louis. It would only be a matter of time...

Here's what I don't understand about these things: Can't they just give him like 80 sleeping pills and wait until he ODs? It's the same thing, right?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Force him to listen to "Wake Me Up Before You Go- Go and the Safety Dance- with headphones- over and over till dead. Shouldn't take long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Two words: Acid and Yoko.

He'll kill himself and the EU will be satisfied.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Perhaps Europe could house him in one of their prisons, then.

Fire up ol' Sparky.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Force him to listen to "Wake Me Up Before You Go- Go and the Safety Dance- with headphones- over and over till dead. Shouldn't take long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man, I love some cross thread smart assery.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Piss on him and the EU
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Shoot bleach into his veins. A good clean kill.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If the EU doesn't want to trade propofol due to some moral objection, that's their prerogative. I've got no issue with them selectively exporting or threatening to cut off propofol exports altogether. That's leverage, politics. The US does the same thing.

BTW, and completely unrelated, wasn't this the drug implicated in Michael Jackson's death?

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post

BTW, and completely unrelated, wasn't this the drug implicated in Michael Jackson's death?
    Yup. Its the Mikey-milk.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:27 AM
    Liked 11,724 Times in 6,496 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    If the EU doesn't want to trade propofol due to some moral objection, that's their prerogative. I've got no issue with them selectively exporting or threatening to cut off propofol exports altogether. That's leverage, politics. The US does the same thing.
    Unless they have a contractual agreement to do so.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Yup. Its the Mikey-milk.
    He should've stuck with the Jesus-juice.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:24 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Shoot bleach into his veins. A good clean kill.
    Nice 47, thanks for the good laugh. I'd like to see one of your famous pictures depicting that!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Unless they have a contractual agreement to do so.
    Yes, but in this case, they had obviously made it quite clear from the start that their product was NOT to be used for the purpose of executions:

"The supplier of the drug, Morris & Dickson, of Shreveport, La., had pleaded with the state nearly a year ago to return 20 vials it had shipped to Missouri in violation of its agreement with the manufacturer, Fresenius Kabi, of Germany, not to provide the drug for capital punishment".

I can quite understand their reservations. I'm not opposed to the death penalty, per se - and we don't know the opinions of the individuals running the pharmaceutical companies involved - but I can fully appreciate why a company whose prime motivation for producing a certain drug is for it to be used as a healing / medicinal agent, might take issue with it being used to kill. It's not good advertising really, is it..?
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980