Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default MRJGUITARS.COM is back up and running... taking requests

[If this should be stuck in the sticky'd "your links" thread above, by all means move it mods]

I FINALLY got my guitar/amp website back up and running -- had a server company bail on me (hey, it was a free service that I had used for about 6 years, so I can't complain haha), but I just had the time to get the site migrated and updated over on my paid hosting plan. Should be a lot more reliable.

The site itself isn't all that exciting at this point, and many of the pages aren't completed and up yet, but I'm gonna be doing sort of a combination written/video blog on that site about all things guitars, amps, pedals, rigs, you name it.

So if anyone here would like to ask about a specific topic, or one of my builds, etc., let me know. I'm not the greatest guitar builder or amp designer in the world by any means, but I'm totally cool with sharing whatever knowledge I do have and tips I've picked up along the way! No question is a dumb question.

I'm taking requests for that kind of thing now, and I'll be updating the site + writing these blogs as time permits.

If you wanna see it so far, here's the site:
    http://mrjguitars.com/

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

awesome bro. Cant wait to check it out. Thanks for posting that

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I appreciate all the help you gave me on my "unique" HSS 3 way DPDT wiring so don't sell yourself short, MRJ... you have a lot of knowledge and insight to help others and are very easy to communicate with...

Sent from two cans and a string using Tapatalk 2
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll have some posts up soon!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

tell me about your 8580 amp. Is that what your plugged in on ?

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Do you make any LP builds?
    Earn this...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stiggybank View Post
    tell me about your 8580 amp. Is that what your plugged in on ?
    Hey guys! Sorry, I haven't been online in a few weeks -- I've been super busy!

Ok, the 8580 is a custom amp I built, and although it has a 4-digit name, I'm NOT ripping off something that just "sounds like the word 5150" haha. Also, the amp is not meant to sound like a 5150 either -- it is not a clone.

The name actually has a meaning, and all of my amps will be named this way:

8 - Number of gainstages in the lead channel (including the phase inverter)
    5 - # of preamp tubes in the amp
    8 - Circuit design designator (arbitrary number picked for each unique design)
    0 - "0" identifies that it's a 100W amp. 50W would end in "5" and so on.

As far as the design, it's a 5 12AX7 hi-gain, two channel preamp running into a clean 6L6 100W power section. The closest production amp I could compare it to would be the good ol' Soldano SLO-100. This amp shares a lot of it's features, as well as it's basic configuration. It has quite a few design mods though, and the circuit varies from SLO-100 in quite a few ways -- especially in the power and power amp stage. You'll notice I've added a "depth" or "resonance" controller (which is part of the negative feedback loop along with the presence control), and the amp is voiced a bit different than the SLO-100. It's got more of a snarly midrange, which you kind of either love or hate. The transformers were hand selected from 2 different vendors, and I think that might be responsible for the more "Marshall" sound and bite vs. the more hi-fi traditional SLO-100 sound.

The interesting thing though is that this amp just fits into recordings really well. Although it's midrangy, it's very full across the entire guitar frequency range, and you don't notice it sticking out really for rhythm type work. It just "fits" and I don't have to do much studio work on it to get it sounding "finished."

The 8580 is by far the most dynamic/punchy amp I've ever heard, as well as the most brutally loud. This amp is significantly louder overall than my original 100W 5150, and is even a little louder than a few 100W superleads I've heard (which as I'm sure you know are PAINFULLY loud). The dynamics of it are very unforgiving -- it will expose every tiny playing flaw you could possibly imagine. Even the 5150's have a little "give" to them -- where you can slide things in there and the amp will make up for it. This amp has none, period. The other thing is that you can tune way down to like drop B guitars, and chug on the lowest string, and the amp WILL NOT fart out or mush on you. Again, a double edged sword that does sound cool, but will expose any playing flaws you might have.

If I make another one of these, I'd probably make it a 50W version as well as use a different rack mount chassis. This one is alright, but the transformers I went with ended up being so huge that it sags the metal chassis down slightly under the weight!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tank2000 View Post
    Do you make any LP builds?
    I actually don't! I've made one sorta-LP-style guitar, but it was a one-off... a total custom. The body looked a little oddly shaped, but it played and sounded really great -- the client liked it.

I don't have any templates or forms to make another one like that though.

I doubt I'll ever offer a 24.75" (LP) scale guitar, because I just don't personally play them, and it's almost impossible to get bolt-on necks for those. I'm not a fan of building set-necks either, so that kinda eliminates me doing traditional LP's. In the future, I will definitely offer hard-tail, LP pickups and controls style versions of any "production" bodies I design.

For example, like this body shape (my main design) but with the 4 knobs, upper horn mounted switch, and a tune-o-matic bridge, etc.