Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

New Sammy interview from Myglobalmind site.

This interview is not that long, but I found it interesting. I didn't know Sammy planned a greatest hits CD with all eras of his career originally.

http://myglobalmind.com/2013/09/24/e...mer-van-halen/

Interviewed by Mark Dean (Journalist/Writer/Contributor) Myglobalmind Webzine
    especial thanks to James Gypsy Nagy for setting up the interview.

I’ve been a huge Sammy Hagar fan since the eighties through his solo releases ,Van Halen and up to the present with Chickenfoot. I recently had the opportunity over two days to have a chat with the legend himself through the Transatlantic airways. Unfortunately due to the mans legendary status time was limited albeit precious.

“Sammy Hagar speaking”
    Hi Sammy, it’s Mark from Myglobalmind
    Sammy”How are you Mark”?
    Glad I managed to get you, tried several times with no luck.
    Sammy”What actually happened was that my first interview started late.The guy didn’t call me and he went fifteen minutes late, so the whole thing is now out by fifteen, twenty minutes(laughs). But we are fine, the next guy is going to have the same problem and you and I will just finish up our interview the way we are supposed to.”
    I found it very difficult to condense your whole musical career into just ten minutes, but I will try my best.
    Sammy(laughing)”We can stretch it to fifteen,come on now Mark, I will try to give you short, sweet answers.”

I understand that the original idea with your new album was that you were going to re record some Van Halen numbers. Obviously that was stopped by the other two guys. Do you as a person find it difficult to understand people that can hold grudges for quite so long.?
    Sammy”Yes it is difficult but you know what I wasn’t going to re record any of the songs. What I was going to do was, because I could do that. No one can stop you from rerecording anything. I was trying to license the original tracks, and I was going to put a greatest hits anthology record together. That would have some Montrose tracks, some early Sammy, some Van Halen, some later Sammy and some Chickenfoot. Then write some new songs to kind of match each era. That was the way that I was going to start the thing. I didn’t pursue it, but their first initial response that they didn’t want me to have the original masters to put on my thing. So I thought you know “Who cares” because you know honestly you when I decided to make a whole new CD and start calling up all my friends to come and play on it, I’m so glad because if probably if they would have said yes then I would have done the other record and it wouldn’t have been nearly as much fun and interesting as this one. So sometimes things happen for a good reason and when the time is right and I want to use those songs I have the right to use them and I will use them. Right now I don’t need them,its great. I have been going out and playing live with Michael Anthony in the band and the guys from Montrose, Denny Carmassi on the four decades of rock tour. I play forty five minutes of Van Halen songs. I feel comfortable about that because there is two guys, me and Mikey in the band number one, and number two in their present lineup no one can sing those songs. So they cant even play my era of songs, there is like 42 million records worth of songs that they cant even play anymore. I am happy to play them myself, and every things fine.”
    Then I unfortunately lost connection to adverse weather here, Sammy was kind enough to arrange another slot, and we picked up.
    Sammy”What do you need to know,what didn’t we talk about yet?
    You can easily retire and enjoy the rewards of your success but what keeps you driven and motivated to keep going, playing live and recording?
    Sammy”I think , that I still really love it. It’s like when I first started playing music and I did it because I really loved it. I just wanted to play guitar, I would carry my guitar all the way across town. I mean walk with my guitar, in my hand all the way across town to a friends house just to sit in his garage and only play the one or two songs that we knew. We would play them over and over all day. Playing music is a blast you know, it really is fun to do when you play and sing. Then I started getting rich and famous, and it kinda turned into a business. Like in Van Halen ,and things like that. We would always think about what we were going to do next. We would discuss it and we would talk about it. It became like business. It was like”well we cant do that because of this, or maybe we should do this and that”It was all just……as great as it was it was a little bit of crazy bullshit in the middle of it that made me think”wait a minute, why cant we just go and play music”We would get paid fine and we made plenty of money, so we will again figure out how to make more money, how to do this, how to do that. The money is fine. So anyway when I left Van Halen I decided that I was going to get back to the roots of playing music and not big business. If big business wont accept my music-fine but I am not going to adapt my music or my lifestyle to big business. It really worked for me ,because it still made me love what I wanted to do. I think now its even more so than ever. When I want to make a record its because I really want to go record it. I’ve wrote a new song, I am excited and I want to go and record it. Then once I record it(a new song)I want to go out and play it for my fans. I’m pretty much motivated by that, by getting excited. I am excited about my new music, I am excited about playing it for people.”

You have many interests outside music, food, drink, racing cars etc.Do you still have any unfulfilled ambitions and life goals?
    Sammy”Yeah, I still………wow that’s tough. I still want to help. I have a tendency that I want to help people more than I have been able to. It’s not just money, its having time and a direction of how I can help people. One of the things that I do, is that I try with my restaurants that I own . I give the money away in five different cities ,I give the money away to food banks and to hospitals and stuff for helping kids that don’t have insurance, and people that are hungry. Families that live homeless, and so I try to feed those people. You know its not enough to take care of everybody. So as I said I would like to be able to do more, its not just financial. It’s really having the time to go out and do the infrastructure. I would really like..I am on a quest right now, and I really like helping people. It means a lot to me, and I feel good about it”
    What are your thought about free music downloads and free music sites? Do you think that its more difficult these days for bands to actually make a living at making music?
    Sammy”Well, yeah I am OK with it because I have done really well,and I don’t really need that money to survive on. It doesn’t bother me as much when people you know like just steal my music. I think music kind of should be free, and then when you go and play in concerts you should be paid for that. It is expensive because you have to pay your band, and your crew, and you have to get travel. So you need to be paid for that, but for making music I don’t know….Lets put it like this, I think it got too expensive and so that’s the payback. It needs to find a middle ground, you know. Paying a little bit for music is OK, but you shouldn’t have to pay 19.95 for somebodies new record, when once you get it you go”Fuck I can go home and make a million of these. I can burn them and give them to my friends.Its kind of crazy to charge somebody that much, and it makes it easier for them to want to steal it. Anyway I feel sorry for young bands that are starting out because if you cant make a living at what you want to do in life then its kind of miserable, you have to have another job. Growing up when I was playing music i didn’t make any money hardly at all, but I didn’t have another job. I was poor, I just didn’t give a shit. I thought “man I just want to play music”I don’t care. I sleep on this guys floor, in his house. I get up and I rehearse with my band and we would go and play that night. We would make ten dollars apiece, it doesn’t matter. I wish I was making more but its ok this was what I wanted to do. Bands sometimes cant even do that now, and they have to have other jobs or something. I don’t know, its kind of a bummer”
    Unfortunately my slot of media time with Sammy was then up,was glad to have had the opportunity to speak to a global legend of the rock scene,and would have relished more.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Well! at least that clears up the subject of the new album. So many people seemed confused or even pissed because it's not the career revisiting album he first talked about doing.

He changed his mind and made a different record instead. I'm betting that will never be clear to a lot of people.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 1,034 Times in 505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Well! at least that clears up the subject of the new album. So many people seemed confused or even pissed because it's not the career revisiting album he first talked about doing.

He changed his mind and made a different record instead. I'm betting that will never be clear to a lot of people.
    Agreed. I was wondering that myself and this interview cleared it up nicely. I posted the part of the interview involving getting the VH masters over in the “Random shit” thread in Main. I find any interaction between the VH camp and Sam interesting as one would assume there wouldn’t be any.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 11,750 Times in 6,508 Posts

Premium Member

Last edited by bklynboy68; 09.27.13 at 11:10 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Yup, clears it up for me too. Still not sure why he couldn't do it though. Sam needed Edward and Al's blessing to write a coupla songs similar to Van Halen? Sam's math is still off too. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Yup, clears it up for me too. Still not sure why he couldn't do it though. Sam needed Edward and Al's blessing to write a coupla songs similar to Van Halen? Sam's math is still off too. Lol.

No, Sam was wanting to use the actual masters of a couple of his era songs to include on the album, but 'someone(s)’ in the VH camp didn't want him to. And that makes sense, Dave is back in the band now, no need to add more facets to the Sam vs Dave debates.

Sam was then going to record new songs in the same style as the old VH tunes for the album. He scraped that concept when he could not get permission to use the masters of some of his old songs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    His music career faded faster than an eight ball in front of Lindsay Lohan. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

Ah...ok, I got it now. Thanks!

RJD \m/

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Cool interview. Yeah, that explains, somewhat, why Sam altered his original plans. I liked the original idea, but if Sam had a good time, cool by me. How does that work, by the way? If Sam wrote all the lyrics and co-produced Van Hagar, why can't he use the masters? Seems like he has just as much of a claim as the brothers.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Cool interview. Yeah, that explains, somewhat, why Sam altered his original plans. I liked the original idea, but if Sam had a good time, cool by me. How does that work, by the way? If Sam wrote all the lyrics and co-produced Van Hagar, why can't he use the masters? Seems like he has just as much of a claim as the brothers.
    Just a guess, but the masters are probably legally owned by 'Van Halen', and he's no longer a member.

Could be Sam would have to give his permission also for Ed to use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    His music career faded faster than an eight ball in front of Lindsay Lohan. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.15.16 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

"I was trying to license the original tracks, and I was going to put a greatest hits anthology record together. That would have some Montrose tracks, some early Sammy, some Van Halen, some later Sammy and some Chickenfoot. Then write some new songs to kind of match each era. That was the way that I was going to start the thing. I didn’t pursue it, but their first initial response that they didn’t want me to have the original masters to put on my thing."

He was trying to put together a 'four decades of rock' greatest hits album and include the decade in Van Halen - "Rock Candy", "Space Station #5", "I've Done Everything For You", "I Can't Drive 55", "When It's Love", "Dreams", "Right Now", "Mas Tequila", etc. - but the politics of VH became too complicated so he did something else instead.

There's a part of me that would have preferred a greatest hits album with a few new songs, because I have no idea which songs on the album are supposed to be part of his VH era. This is just personal, but I prefer the Van Hagar keyboard-heavy ballads to the rock songs. I've heard the new album, but deliberately listened to it out of order just to hear a given song. Montrose song, I get it. Wabos/lifestyle song, I get it. Early Sammy song, probably "Bad On Fords" but I like it regardless. I don't hear anything that reminds me of Sammy's Van Halen, just some of the harder rock that Sammy Hagar has done over four decades. But then, I have an affection for power ballads, so I notice the void.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

He ended up NOT going the "Four Decades" route because he couldn't get the ok from Edward and Al. So I'm thinking there won't be any song that would purposely sound like VH.

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I think Sammy is being very respectful with his decision.
    Just go for it!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

You think he's upset with the brothers, but just letting it go?

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I am 50/50 with his decision. I think he's very tired of the questions of VH and the backlash....(maybe he even reads some of what the internet folks write)...Plus, it may be a beginning of something that we never thought could happen. I am up for anything positive for anyone who's been in VH!!
    Just go for it!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

However, just to fly in the face of what all of you gentlemen are saying, is this:

"So sometimes things happen for a good reason and when the time is right and I want to use those (Van Halen) songs I have the right to use them and I will use them".

Now, to me, that comment suggests that Sam DOES have the legal right to use the songs he co-wrote with VH, but, at the moment, he doesn't have the energy or inclination to pursue what might well prove to be an arduous and stressful path.

I'd say, 'watch this space'. We all know how determined Mr Hagar can be when he has a goal in sight...I have a feeling he won't have entirely let go of his 'four decades of rock' concept, and that at some point, he may well be more tenacious in his quest to use the songs he played a fundamental role in creating...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980