Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK. I’ve been lurking for about a year now and finally registered the other day. Let me start by saying that I love Dave and Sam. I even liked Gary. IMO there are great songs and crappy ones from all of the incarnations. I’m finally inspired to post though because I’ve noticed that whenever Sammy’s name is mentioned the attackers immediately come out of the woodwork to rip him to shreds. I don’t see this happening the same way when Dave is discussed. A constant theme to the insults revolves around the “sappy, gay, wimpy, wussy…” ballad crap that Sammy did with the band. I’ve got news for you guys, Sammy was only half of the songwriting team. Let’s not forget that Eddie wrote the music before Sammy put down the words and melodies. Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe Ed is responsible for the mellowing of the VH sound? God forbid some of the Sam haters would ever throw a little blame in Ed’s direction for writing sappy power ballads. Let’s face it, what would Roth have sung over the music to “When it’s Love”? I got news for you, a chorus about breasts, bimbos, midgets or drinking would have sounded pretty stupid at that tempo. As far as I’m concerned, Sammy merely matched his melodies to the the songs that Eddie was writing for the band. Listen to Sammy’s solo stuff – before and after VH – most of the songs are straight ahead rock. Could it be that as Eddie matured he mellowed a bit. Does that make him a “fag” like it seems to make Sammy. For god’s sake, if you hate Sammy so much go join a Roth discussion board and bash away. And while you’re at it, make sure to tell everyone that it was Ed that put the “Gay” in Van Gaygar. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    "I forgot the f#cking words..."

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh boy here we go, the pick-up trucks with the union flags in the back window are circling........

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree that Sammy isn't 100% responsible for the mellowing of Van Halen. I think it started creeping in on 1984. Anyway I'm outta here. Let the flame war begin. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post, Ten-13. I totally agree with you. Let's hug the rainbows and hold hands. And remember, please don't blame Sammy, Eddie was the one responsible for all those power ballads.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ January 23, 2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Hagar-whine-a-lot ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Ten-13:
    I don’t see this happening the same way when Dave is discussed.
    Now that was funny! Oh, BTW welcome aboard. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

In a year, it appears you haven't read quite all the threads here yet. There are probably an equal amount of Dave-hater threads as there Sammy-hater threads.

Welcome to the board, now don't say anything bad about Edward and you'll be fine. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Could this be magic?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post, and some very good and valid points. I think Sammy gave Eddie more room and freedom to explore his use of keyboards. Certainly if Ed was writing all the music then the sappy slow songs origonated with him, but keep in mind Ed also didn't write the lyrics which seems to be the main complaint where Sammy is concerned. I prefer Sammy myself as I find Dave just too irritating and self absorbed, they seemed to more of a 'band' with Sammy, wasn't just about one person weather it was Dave or Ed. If comments were made on the guitar playing rather than throwing a hissy fit Sam would add his own compliments. In the end for me it is the music, as far as singers go Sammy I can listen to much easier even with some of his lame lyrics, the Dave era is purely the guitar work, wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they removed the vocal tracks and were all instrumentals, afterall it was the guitar that got me to listen to it in the first place!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bingo Dude! You hit the nail on the head!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not everything about Mr. Originality is bad. I'm a huge fan of the red rocker deodorant.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ten-13:
    OK. I’ve been lurking for about a year now and finally registered the other day. Let me start by saying that I love Dave and Sam. I even liked Gary. IMO there are great songs and crappy ones from all of the incarnations. I’m finally inspired to post though because I’ve noticed that whenever Sammy’s name is mentioned the attackers immediately come out of the woodwork to rip him to shreds. I don’t see this happening the same way when Dave is discussed. A constant theme to the insults revolves around the “sappy, gay, wimpy, wussy…” ballad crap that Sammy did with the band. I’ve got news for you guys, Sammy was only half of the songwriting team. Let’s not forget that Eddie wrote the music before Sammy put down the words and melodies. Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe Ed is responsible for the mellowing of the VH sound? God forbid some of the Sam haters would ever throw a little blame in Ed’s direction for writing sappy power ballads. Let’s face it, what would Roth have sung over the music to “When it’s Love”? I got news for you, a chorus about breasts, bimbos, midgets or drinking would have sounded pretty stupid at that tempo. As far as I’m concerned, Sammy merely matched his melodies to the the songs that Eddie was writing for the band. Listen to Sammy’s solo stuff – before and after VH – most of the songs are straight ahead rock. Could it be that as Eddie matured he mellowed a bit. Does that make him a “fag” like it seems to make Sammy. For god’s sake, if you hate Sammy so much go join a Roth discussion board and bash away. And while you’re at it, make sure to tell everyone that it was Ed that put the “Gay” in Van Gaygar. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Yes Eddie is also responsible for the sappy mellow songs.But when Dave was in the band he refused to record anything that was mellow and wimpy. Dave had a vision of what VAN HALEN was. Sappy fucking Journeyesque style music was not that vision.

Now i'm getting back into my pickup and i'm driving off. Check out the general lee flag on the back. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PS

Van Hagar sucks MONSTER ELEPHANT COCKS! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Eddie is also responsible for the sappy mellow songs.But when Dave was in the band he refused to record anything that was mellow and wimpy. Dave had a vision of what VAN HALEN was.
    That vision would be "Dancing In The Streets," "Pretty Woman," and "You're No Good."

Classic Van Halen! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

It goes both ways people. MO.

[ January 23, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: MO Halen ]
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?" Fools...<br /><br />LET'S GO RED WINGS!!! Ten time Stanley Cup Champions...

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy does a good job on 5150. But I think he lost his edge after that. Maybe too much fame can kill your creativity.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.24.05 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was listening to "Love Walks In" on my digital cable today, noticed that it's a very similar groove to "I'll Wait". The difference? Sam is singing about a real woman. Dave sang about a girl in a magazine. The writing styles were different, both great songs. Sam isn't Dave, Dave isn't Sam. Nobody will win this argument, yet it will rage forevermore, forevermore.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Originally posted by dka5150:
    I was listening to "Love Walks In" on my digital cable today, noticed that it's a very similar groove to "I'll Wait". The difference? Sam is singing about a real woman. Dave sang about a girl in a magazine. The writing styles were different, both great songs. Sam isn't Dave, Dave isn't Sam. Nobody will win this argument, yet it will rage forevermore, forevermore.
    Nailed it!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] You are 110% right you do get a whole different vibe writing songs about pictures in magazine that one jerks off to than writing somethin sweet for the ole lady!!! LMAO!!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Face it... Dave's midgits are far more flamboyant than Sammy's Cabo Girls... Waitress!!!! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Nah... seriously... fuck the LSD mouths... bring onthe instrumental!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com