Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default AXIS TV aired The Ronnie Montrose Tribute

I saw this late on Sunday, I recorded it via the DVR but haven't really watched a ton of it, Sam is the "host" with voice over work by Eddie Trunk (I think). From what i saw it looked pretty good, I think it started with his work with Gamma with Schon on guitar, of course the schonicity meter was almost blowing up, I watched a few minutes of the Montrose part...Sam sounded good, it was cool to finally see some of this footage (it's prolly been on youtube for months but I haven't looked for it at all).

just a heads up cause they'll prolly air it again.

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

It was awesome I watched it. Very cool. Stellar performances.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up!

BTW- I'm watching Counting Cars and Danny is hanging out with Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars. Rick is wearing the Ronnie Montrose tribute concert t-shirt. I've seen the episode before but didn't notice the shirt until just now.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

had this on in the background over the weekend and I gotta say the last song they did was incredible. Nice little acoustic version of Connection with the guys standing together, arms around each other....looked like Denny and Bill were getting really chocked up and sammy f'n nailed it, just incredible emotion on that rendition. It honestly gave me chills when I saw it.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Ronnie Montrose tribute review: Powerful reminder
    Tribute concert a potent reminder of guitarist's skill
    By Aidin Vaziri Updated 10:54 am, Wednesday, October 9, 2013

For all the acclaim that came his way, Ronnie Montrose never craved the limelight. The guitar player - one of the greats according to any number of his peers - seemed to actively dodge fame throughout a career that made him a fixture on the Bay Area rock scene for some 40 years, instead letting his fiery fretwork stand on its own merits.

So it was no surprise that the Montrose tribute concert at the Regency Center in San Francisco was all about the music.
    For four hours Friday, a sold-out room of family friends, fellow players and fans was treated to performances by those the local rock icon performed with and those he inspired.

There were loose jam sessions featuring former bandmates. Members of vintage Top 40 rock acts such as Journey, Tesla, Mr. Big, Styx and Kiss took the stage through the night, playing the songs Montrose helped make famous. His old band Gamma got back together.

There was even a reunion of the surviving members of the guitar player's namesake band, Montrose, which launched Sammy Hagar's career as a multiplatinum-selling front man.

It was a rare show of sentimentality. Most of those in attendance came to celebrate his life rather than mourn its passing.

Or as Tesla singer Jeff Keith put it, "We're here to share the love."
    Montrose's death from a self-inflected gunshot wound at his home in Brisbane in March caught many in the rock community off guard.

The 64-year-old musician was coming off one of his most productive years ever, having played almost 50 concerts. He had successfully beat back a prostate cancer diagnosis that briefly sidelined his work between 2007 and 2009. He had also just played a show at the Uptown Theater in Napa and was excited about releasing the footage on a DVD.

But the guitar player had suffered from clinical depression from a young age. At the time of his death, he was also reeling from the one-two punch of the deaths of his uncle and his beloved bulldog.

It made for a bittersweet night. When BAM Magazine Publisher Dennis Erokan presented Montrose's wife and manager, Leighsa Montrose, with a refurbished Bammy Award for his best lead guitarist victory from 1981, she accepted with just a few words and moving gesture. "I'm going to do what Ronnie would do," she said, folding her hands into a heart shape for the audience.

Hagar, wearing sunglasses and a black leather jacket, shared some stories about his early days in Montrose - all of them good. "A lot of memories up here," he said.

They never quite actually addressed the passing of their old bandmate, but after the group played its version of the Rolling Stones' "Connection" (chorus: "All I want to do is get back to you"), they stood together in an embrace, sweating and smiling, Church put his hand over his heart and looked up at the rafters.

And just for a second it felt like Montrose was right there with them.

Aidin Vaziri is The San Francisco Chronicle's pop music critic. Follow @MusicSF on Twitter. avaziri@sfchronicle.com

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/...er-3519790.php