Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

Everyone Please Read!

Hi all,

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this, and it's the most difficult thing I've ever posted on here, but like all things in life, everything has to come to an end. I've owned this site for over 14 years, and when I started it I never in my wildest dreams thought it would have lasted this long, or been such a huge part of my life. That's really a testament to all you amazing people that have made this more than just a web site about Van Halen, but an incredible community of people who shared a little bit of their lives everyday on here.

So I've been thinking this through so many different ways the last several weeks, and it's been a very hard decision to make, but I have decided I am going to close VHLinks, effective October 31st this year.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to take the site over, but I just don't want to do that. I started this site, and I want to end it on my own terms...and I know that's a little selfish, but it's just how I feel. It's always been my baby and I want it to go out that way too. So I will not be transferring it to anyone and I will continue to own the domain name. I may leave up a tribute page or something that I can do for like a couple bucks a month, but haven't really given that much thought yet. Some of the other big VH site owners have moved on and let others take their sites over...just never going to happen here.

You may ask why I've all of a sudden made this decision. Well it wasn't an overnight decision, I've thought about for the last several months before I made my final decision on Friday night. I went back and forth for months on this. The reason is purely a financial one. This isn't some web site you can put on a $10 shared hosting plan and let it go...it demands a lot of bandwidth, time, and resources to keep it functioning, and that is a very big expense every month. In the past when the economy was good, it wasn't such a burden financially to me...and the site advertising helped offset it just a little, but even then not too much. But I accepted that and was fine with that. But as the lousy economy continues, and other family obligations have popped up that I need to use money on, something had to lose, and as sad a decision as it was for me, this was it. Unfortunately my real job is really reliant on a good economy...and right now, buying advertising isn't something that small/medium businesses care about, they care about paying their employees and keeping their heads above water. And I can no longer shell out the $4,000 a year to keep this site hosted the way it needs to be.

I want to thank everyone who has been a part of this site for the last 14 years. I want to thank the moderators for their tireless work in keeping some sense of sanity around here, they have been the lifeblood of this site, and I owe them a huge debt of gratitude for all they've done. I will miss having this place to look at everyday, it's part of my daily routine as I know it has been for so many of you. I know many of you have become friends in real life from here (we've even had a marriage through this site), and that's one of the things I will always remember about this place, that it was more than just a site about VH like I said. We had a great run.

So let's enjoy the last month together, I intend to keep all the site files and database even after we're gone...so if something were to happen and I could ever load up the place again, I most certainly would.

All right, I didn't want to get too wordy with this, so that's all I'm going to say right now. Again, thank you all for everything!

B
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Shocked. Not even sure what to say.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,698 Times in 3,718 Posts

I respect you too much to be upset with your decision buddy. But this really does suck. The crew here has become an extended family for so many of us.

We need to find another forum so we can keep in contact with as many of the old gang together as possible.

Not sure what else to say at this point.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I wish this were April 1st or that you had a "dislike" or "thumbs down" button to click.

I'm completely understand your decision. Even to a seldom poster/ long-time lurker like me, I'm deeply saddened. It feels strange to type but this is like a long-term relationship ending for me.

Thanks for everything you've done, Brett & mods. I know there are other VH boards and places to go out there but I don't even want to try. I'll miss this place terribly. I'm going to try to savor the next 5 weeks.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Well this is some fine news to start my Monday. 2012 was the best year to be a VH fan since god knows when, and 2013 looked to be even better with the chaps back and doing... something... together.

And now the greatest online community is about to close its virtual doors.

I don't like the idea of finding another website. I'm a linker and proud, damnit!!

Oh.

Oh.

Pooh. :

EDIT: Having said all that, I do understand and respect the circumstances that have led to this decision. It just sucks, that's all.
    Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ignorance_is_bliss; 09.22.13 at 07:51 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Well shit.

It's going to take me days to copy all of D-Man's Beautiful Girls pics lol.

We should have a big send off of some kind. Maybe you can get one of the VH boys to chime in for a fun send off.
    "Everything comes to me while I'm sitting on the pot." - EVH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Very sad but I do understand.

Thanks Brett.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

A lot of you are pmming me. I appreciate all the comments, just not in the frame of mind to reply right now. I will get back to you though.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Brett,

I can't imagine what you had to go through in making this decision and then having write this post. I'm very sad by it, but I understand.

Saying that this is purely financial, and I know this is tough to ask, but what if we did a kickstarter campaign for you? If we were able to raise the 4k, would that be enough?

I'm sure there are 40 people on here that are good for a C-note.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

I don't know what to say either. Shocked but understanding 100%.

This site has been one of the few constants in my life the last 9.5 years. I've grown up on this site.

Damn......Im sorry it's come to this Brett. But everybody should (and better) understand your reasons.

You've given us more than just a place to talk shop in regards to our favourite band.

You created a community. Filled with real friendships, relationships and all around good vibes.

THANK YOU is all that I can really say. From the bottom of my heart.

Thank you.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

The fact that I knew this would destroy so many of the things you guys do on here everyday and the interaction you have with each other was what made the decision so tough. That was the part I struggled with everyday...and then I read DD's post in the NHL thread about trying to keep everyone together, and Mike's post about keeping together...and yeah it's upsetting.

With regards to having people give money for the server. I have several reservations with that. One is that it's a lot of money, and I think some people will feel "Hey I gave $100 I want to have some say in what goes on around here." And that I will never be comfortable with. Of course not everyone will feel that way, I know that, but even to have a few feeling that way is not a scenario I like. The second is, I'm not doing this to get you guys to give money. I'm as comfortable as I can be with this decision, as difficult and painful as it is. People giving $10 a year for little silly features on the board is one thing, people giving a crazy amount of money to keep the server around just bothers me.

I had a hard enough time taking the money that was donated to get the site back up when it was hacked in 2005. And that was a fraction of what this is. But I didn't get to go out on my own terms then, this time at least I'm making the call.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Gotta do what ya gotta do there Bonk....I know I've been scarce around here lately, but am glad to have been a part of this little piece of Van Halen history.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Thanks for creating this forum. I've met some really cool people here and it led me to Texas...

You've put up with a lot of shit over the years and I am surprised you've kept it up as long as you have. Actually, I'm not because you know how much it meant to people...

Taking care of your family should be number one and if this forum is getting in the way, it's a no brainer, pull the plug...

All things come to an end sooner or later. Fourteen years is a long time especially when it's focused on the most disfunctional band ever!!!

One last thing... you're a real bastard and an asshole... but in a good way... haha...

Sent from two cans and a string using Tapatalk 2
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Thanks for creating this forum. I've met some really cool people here and it led me to Texas...

You've put up with a lot of shit over the years and I am surprised you've kept it up as long as you have. Actually, I'm not because you know how much it meant to people...

Taking care of your family should be number one and if this forum is getting in the way, it's a no brainer, pull the plug...

All things come to an end sooner or later. Fourteen years is a long time especially when it's focused on the most disfunctional band ever!!!

One last thing... you're a real bastard and an asshole... but in a good way... haha...

Sent from two cans and a string using Tapatalk 2
    This pretty much nails it for me. I've made a lot of new friends from all over the place here....even if some of them are brutally annoying.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

Very sad news !