Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 518 Times in 319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    The Guitar World staff didn't pair them up. These are the two "finalists" after all the previous voting.
    Understood.

But the poll question is still dumb, IMO.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

11.14.19 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 929 Times in 496 Posts

Donor

I don't get Comfortably Numb even being an option. Yeah, it's a nice solo, but there's not a single thing special about it, other than the song is a classic.

Nobody ever heard that solo and wanted to play guitar. Nobody ever heard the solo and thought "How the hell is he doing THAT? And THAT?" Even David Gilmour himself has said that sometimes he wishes he could play like Eddie.

Nobody ever heard the tone and effects on the CN solo and wanted to sound like that, unless they wanted to play the song.

I mean, it's a nice solo. Nice. Not thrilling....but nice. Nice solo in a classic song. That doesn't make it one of the best solos ever.

You also have to look at it this way: When CN came out, there was nothing in that solo that people hadn't heard a million times before. When Eruption came out, AT THAT TIME freaking NOBODY had ever heard anything like that before, unless they had seen VH in their club days. Everyone...non-players, veteran players, and even all the famous players, collectively said "Holy shit, WTF is THAT?"

So sure, you can find videos all over Youtube now of high schoolers playing Eruption.....and that's the beauty of it. It was THAT influential. You would expect playing skill to progress past that, once everyone figured out how to do it, so it's now as natural to see teenagers playing Eruption as it was to see teenagers playing Johnny B Goode in the 70's and 80's.

It was so influential that you still have touring bands today that play it, Pearl Jam being the most recent I'm aware of.

Hell, who would even recognize the CN solo in the audience if someone like Creed or Foo Fighters played it? But EVERYONE would know Eruption. THAT is influence, and that is why it's the #1 solo of all time. It's the Elvis of guitar solos.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Is Eruption getting more popular?

And Eddie too?

I was a little surprised that Eddie won the poll they had last year...fully expected Hendrix to win it since he gets so much pub as "the greatest guitarist to ever think about a guitar".

Now this...

Makes me hopeful that "fun" will make a comeback in rock music.

I do agree that polls of "better" are stupid in art. The solo in CN is awesome to me as well. That final solo just soars in my ears.

But the sheer originality, energy, and fun of Eruption is always going to put it in a special place for me.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.18 @ 08:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

..my two cents ..people my age will get ..this guy has some the most slickest solos of all time
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Liked 6,651 Times in 3,457 Posts

I love Floyd and love David Gilmour. What he offers is completely different than what Eddie gives to the guitar community. You can't compare the two solos because one is an instrumental with no backing music and the other is a vocal song.

Anyway not going to slag CF or Gilmour because they can do things that VH fails at. I also don't want Floyd to be doing a fast boogie.

Eruption means more to the guitar community but to the general fan, CN is up there. I played the song in two bands this summer and gotten far more compliments on me doing the solo than any VH song the bands have ever done. The first time I played it, people were just hovering on the dance floor staring at me. After I got done, a big applause happened. That never happened for the 10 VH songs I have played.

Both are great. I would pick Eruption though.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 518 Times in 319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Van Baron View Post
    ..my two cents ..people my age will get ..this guy has some the most slickest solos of all time
    Huh?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.14.19 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 1,299 Times in 736 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    I don't get Comfortably Numb even being an option. Yeah, it's a nice solo, but there's not a single thing special about it, other than the song is a classic.

Nobody ever heard that solo and wanted to play guitar. Nobody ever heard the solo and thought "How the hell is he doing THAT? And THAT?" Even David Gilmour himself has said that sometimes he wishes he could play like Eddie.

Nobody ever heard the tone and effects on the CN solo and wanted to sound like that, unless they wanted to play the song.

I mean, it's a nice solo. Nice. Not thrilling....but nice. Nice solo in a classic song. That doesn't make it one of the best solos ever.

You also have to look at it this way: When CN came out, there was nothing in that solo that people hadn't heard a million times before. When Eruption came out, AT THAT TIME freaking NOBODY had ever heard anything like that before, unless they had seen VH in their club days. Everyone...non-players, veteran players, and even all the famous players, collectively said "Holy shit, WTF is THAT?"

So sure, you can find videos all over Youtube now of high schoolers playing Eruption.....and that's the beauty of it. It was THAT influential. You would expect playing skill to progress past that, once everyone figured out how to do it, so it's now as natural to see teenagers playing Eruption as it was to see teenagers playing Johnny B Goode in the 70's and 80's.

It was so influential that you still have touring bands today that play it, Pearl Jam being the most recent I'm aware of.

Hell, who would even recognize the CN solo in the audience if someone like Creed or Foo Fighters played it? But EVERYONE would know Eruption. THAT is influence, and that is why it's the #1 solo of all time. It's the Elvis of guitar solos.
    No question that Eruption was mind-blowing and unique. No question it shocked more people into awareness of what guitar could do.

But I gotta disagree about all the "nobody" references. Listening to Gilmore inspires me, and I'm sure it inspires countless others.

Gilmore is not flashy at all. But his timing and melodic touches are expert, and his tone is very cool too. His style, though not earth-shattering, is instantly recognizable, and the symphonic low-end stuff he does on The Wall is incredible. Not incredible like the outro to One Foof Out the Door. But incredible in its own unique way.

Beethoven's 5th is not flashy. But it is a thundering piece of genius. Moonlight Sonata is not flashy. But slip on some ear phones and spend a few minutes listening to it with your eyes closed. If you don't get chills, part of your brain is dead.

You can sit down and learn a Gilmore solo in a few minutes, usually. But I challenge anyone to sit down and WRITE one. Understated as they are, they are little pieces of genius.

TK

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.19 @ 12:02 PM
    Liked 363 Times in 171 Posts

Polls on something as subjective as this are just so silly. Besides, GW isn't concerned who wins what ... it boils down to how many clicks their page gets, and how much $$$ they then pull from the advertisers.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.02.18 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 317 Times in 160 Posts

Eruption is an instrumental, not so much a solo. People still don't understand that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Liked 6,651 Times in 3,457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    No question that Eruption was mind-blowing and unique. No question it shocked more people into awareness of what guitar could do.

But I gotta disagree about all the "nobody" references. Listening to Gilmore inspires me, and I'm sure it inspires countless others.

Gilmore is not flashy at all. But his timing and melodic touches are expert, and his tone is very cool too. His style, though not earth-shattering, is instantly recognizable, and the symphonic low-end stuff he does on The Wall is incredible. Not incredible like the outro to One Foof Out the Door. But incredible in its own unique way.

Beethoven's 5th is not flashy. But it is a thundering piece of genius. Moonlight Sonata is not flashy. But slip on some ear phones and spend a few minutes listening to it with your eyes closed. If you don't get chills, part of your brain is dead.

You can sit down and learn a Gilmore solo in a few minutes, usually. But I challenge anyone to sit down and WRITE one. Understated as they are, they are little pieces of genius.

TK
    Gilmour is also a fan of Eddie Van Halen or at least it seems. I remember some interview of him around Momentary where they talked about the fast guitarists. He mentioned Eddie and said he would love to play like that but his fingers are far too slow. So he said something to the effect of "you have to know your limitations and make it a positive" so he became a melodic player.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

11.14.19 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 18,697 Times in 10,671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Van Baron View Post
    If you're referring to Neil "Spyder" Giraldo, YEAH, HE IS GREAT! Mr. Pat Benatar is very underrated.

AND YES, THIS IS A DUMB POLL.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    Eruption is an instrumental, not so much a solo. People still don't understand that.

Isn't that what all solos are? The clarinet player stands up and plays unaccompanied during Mozart's Clarinet Concerto...that's a solo too.

Eruption is actually the MOST "solo" of any of them. It's mostly just Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

11.05.19 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 633 Times in 288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I can't imagine listening to any Pink Floyd song and saying after "I've got to pick up a guitar"...a bong maybe, not a guitar.
    I cannot listen to more the a couple Floyd songs in a row, I can listen to every Van Halen record back to back (III included) to hear Eddie's playing.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 09.17.13 at 10:24 AM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

10.09.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Another absolutely meaningless poll. People LOVE to argue this stuff as if it actually has some kind of objective measure.

I have to give credit to the magazines and websites that organize these polls. They generate tons of traffic and discussion (however banal it is). Like Sam vs Dave, these are debates without an end-point, so they just turn into flame wars.

For the record, both of these solos are two of my All-Timers. They give me the chills for different reasons, but the results are the same. The fact that Eddymon can't listen to it all the way through makes me like it that much more.

This live version of CN is tits:

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.02.18 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 317 Times in 160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Isn't that what all solos are? The clarinet player stands up and plays unaccompanied during Mozart's Clarinet Concerto...that's a solo too.

Eruption is actually the MOST "solo" of any of them. It's mostly just Eddie.
    Totally disagree. A solo, in my opinion, takes place somewhere within a song itself whereas an instrumental is an entire fluid piece of music that stands alone. No other accompaniment. It could be two minutes or twenty. A solo is short and sweet and adds to a given song.