Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82
  1. #16
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    31
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,571
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 03:43 AM
    Likes
    344
    Liked 518 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    The Guitar World staff didn't pair them up. These are the two "finalists" after all the previous voting.
    Understood.

    But the poll question is still dumb, IMO.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  2. #17
    Good Enough Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,284
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    11.14.19 @ 06:37 PM
    Likes
    95
    Liked 929 Times in 496 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I don't get Comfortably Numb even being an option. Yeah, it's a nice solo, but there's not a single thing special about it, other than the song is a classic.

    Nobody ever heard that solo and wanted to play guitar. Nobody ever heard the solo and thought "How the hell is he doing THAT? And THAT?" Even David Gilmour himself has said that sometimes he wishes he could play like Eddie.

    Nobody ever heard the tone and effects on the CN solo and wanted to sound like that, unless they wanted to play the song.

    I mean, it's a nice solo. Nice. Not thrilling....but nice. Nice solo in a classic song. That doesn't make it one of the best solos ever.

    You also have to look at it this way: When CN came out, there was nothing in that solo that people hadn't heard a million times before. When Eruption came out, AT THAT TIME freaking NOBODY had ever heard anything like that before, unless they had seen VH in their club days. Everyone...non-players, veteran players, and even all the famous players, collectively said "Holy shit, WTF is THAT?"

    So sure, you can find videos all over Youtube now of high schoolers playing Eruption.....and that's the beauty of it. It was THAT influential. You would expect playing skill to progress past that, once everyone figured out how to do it, so it's now as natural to see teenagers playing Eruption as it was to see teenagers playing Johnny B Goode in the 70's and 80's.

    It was so influential that you still have touring bands today that play it, Pearl Jam being the most recent I'm aware of.

    Hell, who would even recognize the CN solo in the audience if someone like Creed or Foo Fighters played it? But EVERYONE would know Eruption. THAT is influence, and that is why it's the #1 solo of all time. It's the Elvis of guitar solos.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

  3. #18
    Hang 'Em High Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,982
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes
    15,004
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

    Default

    Is Eruption getting more popular?

    And Eddie too?

    I was a little surprised that Eddie won the poll they had last year...fully expected Hendrix to win it since he gets so much pub as "the greatest guitarist to ever think about a guitar".

    Now this...

    Makes me hopeful that "fun" will make a comeback in rock music.

    I do agree that polls of "better" are stupid in art. The solo in CN is awesome to me as well. That final solo just soars in my ears.

    But the sheer originality, energy, and fun of Eruption is always going to put it in a special place for me.

  4. #19
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.31.00
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    1,233
    Last Online

    01.25.18 @ 08:21 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    ..my two cents ..people my age will get ..this guy has some the most slickest solos of all time
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..


    ..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

  5. #20
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    15,048
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Likes
    3,919
    Liked 6,651 Times in 3,457 Posts

    Default

    I love Floyd and love David Gilmour. What he offers is completely different than what Eddie gives to the guitar community. You can't compare the two solos because one is an instrumental with no backing music and the other is a vocal song.

    Anyway not going to slag CF or Gilmour because they can do things that VH fails at. I also don't want Floyd to be doing a fast boogie.

    Eruption means more to the guitar community but to the general fan, CN is up there. I played the song in two bands this summer and gotten far more compliments on me doing the solo than any VH song the bands have ever done. The first time I played it, people were just hovering on the dance floor staring at me. After I got done, a big applause happened. That never happened for the 10 VH songs I have played.

    Both are great. I would pick Eruption though.

  6. #21
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    31
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,571
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 03:43 AM
    Likes
    344
    Liked 518 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Van Baron View Post
    ..my two cents ..people my age will get ..this guy has some the most slickest solos of all time
    Huh?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  7. #22
    Good Enough pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    51
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.14.19 @ 01:03 PM
    Likes
    1,494
    Liked 1,299 Times in 736 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    I don't get Comfortably Numb even being an option. Yeah, it's a nice solo, but there's not a single thing special about it, other than the song is a classic.

    Nobody ever heard that solo and wanted to play guitar. Nobody ever heard the solo and thought "How the hell is he doing THAT? And THAT?" Even David Gilmour himself has said that sometimes he wishes he could play like Eddie.

    Nobody ever heard the tone and effects on the CN solo and wanted to sound like that, unless they wanted to play the song.

    I mean, it's a nice solo. Nice. Not thrilling....but nice. Nice solo in a classic song. That doesn't make it one of the best solos ever.

    You also have to look at it this way: When CN came out, there was nothing in that solo that people hadn't heard a million times before. When Eruption came out, AT THAT TIME freaking NOBODY had ever heard anything like that before, unless they had seen VH in their club days. Everyone...non-players, veteran players, and even all the famous players, collectively said "Holy shit, WTF is THAT?"

    So sure, you can find videos all over Youtube now of high schoolers playing Eruption.....and that's the beauty of it. It was THAT influential. You would expect playing skill to progress past that, once everyone figured out how to do it, so it's now as natural to see teenagers playing Eruption as it was to see teenagers playing Johnny B Goode in the 70's and 80's.

    It was so influential that you still have touring bands today that play it, Pearl Jam being the most recent I'm aware of.

    Hell, who would even recognize the CN solo in the audience if someone like Creed or Foo Fighters played it? But EVERYONE would know Eruption. THAT is influence, and that is why it's the #1 solo of all time. It's the Elvis of guitar solos.
    No question that Eruption was mind-blowing and unique. No question it shocked more people into awareness of what guitar could do.

    But I gotta disagree about all the "nobody" references. Listening to Gilmore inspires me, and I'm sure it inspires countless others.

    Gilmore is not flashy at all. But his timing and melodic touches are expert, and his tone is very cool too. His style, though not earth-shattering, is instantly recognizable, and the symphonic low-end stuff he does on The Wall is incredible. Not incredible like the outro to One Foof Out the Door. But incredible in its own unique way.

    Beethoven's 5th is not flashy. But it is a thundering piece of genius. Moonlight Sonata is not flashy. But slip on some ear phones and spend a few minutes listening to it with your eyes closed. If you don't get chills, part of your brain is dead.

    You can sit down and learn a Gilmore solo in a few minutes, usually. But I challenge anyone to sit down and WRITE one. Understated as they are, they are little pieces of genius.

    TK

  8. #23
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.23.00
    Location
    ..this desperate part of town.
    Posts
    2,386
    Last Online

    11.14.19 @ 12:02 PM
    Likes
    879
    Liked 363 Times in 171 Posts

    Default

    Polls on something as subjective as this are just so silly. Besides, GW isn't concerned who wins what ... it boils down to how many clicks their page gets, and how much $$$ they then pull from the advertisers.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

  9. #24
    Eruption 10after12's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.11
    Location
    head in the speaker at 5:00 a.m.
    Posts
    1,248
    Favorite VH Album

    Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    On Fire
    Last Online

    07.02.18 @ 12:15 PM
    Likes
    568
    Liked 317 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    Eruption is an instrumental, not so much a solo. People still don't understand that.


  10. #25
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    15,048
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Likes
    3,919
    Liked 6,651 Times in 3,457 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    No question that Eruption was mind-blowing and unique. No question it shocked more people into awareness of what guitar could do.

    But I gotta disagree about all the "nobody" references. Listening to Gilmore inspires me, and I'm sure it inspires countless others.

    Gilmore is not flashy at all. But his timing and melodic touches are expert, and his tone is very cool too. His style, though not earth-shattering, is instantly recognizable, and the symphonic low-end stuff he does on The Wall is incredible. Not incredible like the outro to One Foof Out the Door. But incredible in its own unique way.

    Beethoven's 5th is not flashy. But it is a thundering piece of genius. Moonlight Sonata is not flashy. But slip on some ear phones and spend a few minutes listening to it with your eyes closed. If you don't get chills, part of your brain is dead.

    You can sit down and learn a Gilmore solo in a few minutes, usually. But I challenge anyone to sit down and WRITE one. Understated as they are, they are little pieces of genius.

    TK
    Gilmour is also a fan of Eddie Van Halen or at least it seems. I remember some interview of him around Momentary where they talked about the fast guitarists. He mentioned Eddie and said he would love to play like that but his fingers are far too slow. So he said something to the effect of "you have to know your limitations and make it a positive" so he became a melodic player.

  11. #26
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    27,914
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    11.14.19 @ 07:35 PM
    Likes
    20,921
    Liked 18,697 Times in 10,671 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Van Baron View Post
    ..my two cents ..people my age will get ..this guy has some the most slickest solos of all time
    If you're referring to Neil "Spyder" Giraldo, YEAH, HE IS GREAT! Mr. Pat Benatar is very underrated.








    AND YES, THIS IS A DUMB POLL.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  12. #27
    Hang 'Em High Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,982
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes
    15,004
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    Eruption is an instrumental, not so much a solo. People still don't understand that.

    Isn't that what all solos are? The clarinet player stands up and plays unaccompanied during Mozart's Clarinet Concerto...that's a solo too.

    Eruption is actually the MOST "solo" of any of them. It's mostly just Eddie.

  13. #28
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    50
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,225
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    11.05.19 @ 03:09 PM
    Likes
    11
    Liked 633 Times in 288 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I can't imagine listening to any Pink Floyd song and saying after "I've got to pick up a guitar"...a bong maybe, not a guitar.
    I cannot listen to more the a couple Floyd songs in a row, I can listen to every Van Halen record back to back (III included) to hear Eddie's playing.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 09.17.13 at 10:24 AM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  14. #29
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    10.09.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Another absolutely meaningless poll. People LOVE to argue this stuff as if it actually has some kind of objective measure.

    I have to give credit to the magazines and websites that organize these polls. They generate tons of traffic and discussion (however banal it is). Like Sam vs Dave, these are debates without an end-point, so they just turn into flame wars.

    For the record, both of these solos are two of my All-Timers. They give me the chills for different reasons, but the results are the same. The fact that Eddymon can't listen to it all the way through makes me like it that much more.

    This live version of CN is tits:

  15. #30
    Eruption 10after12's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.11
    Location
    head in the speaker at 5:00 a.m.
    Posts
    1,248
    Favorite VH Album

    Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    On Fire
    Last Online

    07.02.18 @ 12:15 PM
    Likes
    568
    Liked 317 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Isn't that what all solos are? The clarinet player stands up and plays unaccompanied during Mozart's Clarinet Concerto...that's a solo too.

    Eruption is actually the MOST "solo" of any of them. It's mostly just Eddie.
    Totally disagree. A solo, in my opinion, takes place somewhere within a song itself whereas an instrumental is an entire fluid piece of music that stands alone. No other accompaniment. It could be two minutes or twenty. A solo is short and sweet and adds to a given song.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Say Uncle," "You Wear It Well," "River Wide" and "Left for Dead."
    By extreme red roth in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06.29.18, 07:08 AM
  2. will be any new "Star Trek," "James Bond" and "Superman" movies in the future?
    By Ilovevh in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06.30.11, 07:46 AM
  3. "Emergency", "Night Gallery", "Kojak" To Return Via NBC Owned Websites...
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02.25.08, 05:36 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02.22.03, 05:55 PM
  5. "50 Worst Guitar Solos of the Millenium"
    By Test5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03.25.02, 06:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •