Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Default GOP bill would ban using food stamp funds on junk food

Newly proposed legislation in Congress would ban recipients of food stamps from buying junk food.

The Hill reports that a bill proposed by Rep. Phil Roe, R-Tenn., would require food stamp recipients to purchase only healthy food.

The Healthy Food Choices Act, H.R. 3073 is the latest salvo from Republican members of Congress who have criticized the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps or the Women, Infants and Children program (WIC).

In August, it was reported that House Republicans hoped to cut some $40 billion from future SNAP budgets.

Roe’s legislation is specifically in response to a 2012 study, which showed that recipients from the food stamp fund spend approximately $2 billion a year on junk food.

“As a physician, I realize the importance of healthy eating, and as an obstetrician, I’ve seen how the WIC program helps empower families receiving assistance to use taxpayer dollars to purchase healthy, wholesome foods,” Roe said in a statement published on his congressional site. “If these guidelines are good and healthy enough for women and children, then SNAP recipients should also benefit from adhering to the same standards.”

In June, Roe voted in favor of proposed legislation that would apply work to welfare standards to food stamp fund recipients.

Critics of Roe’s proposal say that the tighter nutritional requirements would actually be more of a burden for low-income individuals and families who rely on SNAP funds. They also point out that Roe previously opposed efforts by first lady Michelle Obama to improve national school lunch nutritional standards.

Roe’s bill would require SNAP food purchases to adhere to the same nutritional guidelines required under the WIC program. But some critics have said that even WIC’s requirements are not based on science and need fine-tuning to ensure they are nutritionally sound.

Still, Roe said his intention is to improve the health of SNAP recipients by helping to ensure that they eat more nutritious meals with their funds.

“Already states like Wisconsin and South Carolina have shown interest in improving the healthfulness of choices in their SNAP programs,” Roe said. “By giving SNAP recipients more nutritious choices, we can take a meaningful step towards ending hunger in America.”
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...215158768.html

And there is this:

$2 Billion in Food Stamps Spent Annually on Sugary Drinks

Millions of dollars in federal funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, are on the chopping block in this year’s Farm Bill—now stalled in Congress with no timetable for completion. The SNAP program, formerly called food stamps, allots $150-200 per household member to spend on food every month in families that fall below an income threshold.

Through the years, the program has helped millions of low-income American families struggling with food insecurity. But are too many SNAP dollars being spent on junk food? A new study by Yale University's Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity has uncovered that the amount SNAP recipients spend on sugary drinks—including sodas, fruit drinks and sports drinks—is a staggering $2 billion per year.

Nobody wants take choice away from food insecure families, but with skyrocketing obesity rates and rising healthcare costs, some are questioning whether the federal government should set nutrition standards for what can be purchased with food stamps.

MORE: Witnesses to Hunger: 11 Photos by Loving, Low-Income Mothers

One food stamp expert says setting guidelines is a bad idea. Craig Gundersen, executive director of the National Soybean Research Laboratory at the University of Illinois, says controlling how people utilize their benefits is a bad idea because it lowers program participation.

“Telling participants that they could purchase this, but couldn't purchase that—well, we know from numerous studies that when you restrict benefits in any way, fewer people participate,” Gundersen told United Press International. “Nobody tells you how to spend your mortgage tax deduction, why would we dictate to someone who is hungry what they can or can't eat?”

Adds Dr. Hugh Joseph, Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, there’s no evidence that SNAP recipients eat any less healthy than non-SNAP recipients, so why would the government restrict only a small segment of the population? He says he’d like to see more energy put into nutrition education than a narrowing of what SNAP recipients can purchase.

“Maybe you and I can assume that people know what’s good or bad for them, but I don’t assume that’s true at all,” he says. “People who drink lots of soda are not really aware how calorie dense they are. The education piece can be a good way to start.”

Another option, Joseph says, could be to limit the locations where SNAP can be redeemed to shops “that carry a reasonably diverse range of foods,” but even that presents its own challenges—namely putting stress on store owners to determine what is and isn’t covered and potentially cutting off people in urban or extreme rural locations from finding food.

Food stamps have returned to the forefront of political conversation in 2012, with Republicans labeling President Barack Obama the “Food Stamp President” and accusing him of deliberately increasing dependency on government. Food stamp enrollment has rocketed to 46.6 million during Obama’s presidency, up from 34 million at the same time in 2009. But the increase is widely thought to correlate with the Great Recession and its aftermath, and analysts have shown that the growth in food stamp usage has been consistent with the past three recessions.
    http://news.yahoo.com/2-billion-food...135158933.html
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

I agree with this, no luxuries for welfare receipients at all. Food stamps should be a bitch to get and suck to use in order to force you to re-educate yourself into another trade. Dont tell me about the few vets or retarded people because there are plenty of programs for them that aren't publicly funded. Entirely too many people in this country on the teet.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    I agree with this, no luxuries for welfare receipients at all. Food stamps should be a bitch to get and suck to use in order to force you to re-educate yourself into another trade. Dont tell me about the few vets or retarded people because there are plenty of programs for them that aren't publicly funded. Entirely too many people in this country on the teet.
    And remember... Michelle Obama wants people to eat healthy. How could she disagree with this?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    And remember... Michelle Obama wants people to eat healthy. How could she disagree with this?
    Does she?

And if so, any republican gonna give her flack? After all, no American should be told what to eat.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:55 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

No more money for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's...just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can drink. If you want twinkies, get a job.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

You said "Ding Dong".
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:55 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    You said "Ding Dong".
    Shama Lama Ding Dong....So hit it.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766
    Of course, today's world eats Ben Franklin's.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

I don't think people who legitimately need help should be told they can't buy fruit punch as a drink. But imagine not that many people really need this help.

Last Online

Premium Member

Does she?
    rhetorical question

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The Bill is Right Wing Racist...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 18,061 Times in 8,926 Posts

You said "Ding Dong".
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

the WIC program has provided pregnant women, and children under school age nutritious foods and nutrition education. that program is changing its focus to provide more fruits and veggies and whole grains so it makes sense that the food stamp program should follow those same guidelines, because after all the purpose is to provide people with NECESSITIES.

of course people are still selling their food stamp cards and coming up with other innovative ways to game the system...they'll use their card to buy groceries for someone and then get reimbursed in a discounted amount of cash, but the cards have made it harder to sell the credits

the easiest things to buy and resell at discount are sodas, candy, frozen pizzas,cereal, packaged cookies etc so eliminating the use for cards for those items would reduce fraud because there is not a big black market out there for broccoli, radishes and apples.

on the other hand, so called healthy foods like fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh cuts of meat are much more expensive than the processed foods and in many cases much less available at inner city markets, so that issue would have to be resolved

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Is pizza still a vegetable?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]