Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 9/11 commemorative flags is somehow too festive of a statement

http://www.wwlp.com/news/local/hamps...play-911-flags

AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) - This coming Wednesday is the Anniversary of 9/11. The town of Amherst has commemorative flags to honor the day, but this year, they won't be displayed.

Amherst Town Manager John Musante told 22News their decision is based on the different ways that people handle grief.

Most Amherst residents 22News talked with didn't have a problem with the policy.

The town of Amherst has an American Flag by the Town Hall. They also have a United Nations Flag, and a Town Flag, but they won't be displaying their Commemorative 9/11 Flags until 2016; the 15th Anniversary of 9/11.

Amherst Town Manager John Musante told 22News, "There are those who feel that flying commemorative flags is somehow too festive of a statement."

The topic of flying commemorative flags on the Anniversary of 9/11 has been up for discussion for 10 years. In 2003, members of the select-board decided it was not an appropriate remembrance and only wanted to fly these flags once every three years. In 2010, that was changed to once every 5 years.

"This town is very diverse and culturally different than a lot of towns around here. So I can understand why they can make that decision," said Sarah Thompson of Amherst.

"I think that what we should be thinking about on 9/11 is people, loss and remembering and focus on human beings and less on the ideology of nationalism," said Sally Galman of Shutesbury.

A statement from Amherst Selectboard Chair Stephanie O'Keefe reads: "We agreed to take up the issue again in 2012, to see if the board's position has changed, and it had not. One year later, no one felt it necessary to revisit the issue at this time."

O'Keefe goes on to say that they still have a remembrance ceremony every year at the fire department where the American flag is raised and lowered to half-staff.

__________________________________________________ _______

One of the blessings of being a "college town."

In other words, kind of like it was on THAT day 12 years ago. Except for the ringing of the bells. The constant clanging of the bells of St. Brigid's Church indicating something was terribly, terribly wrong.

The main flag in town center will also be at half staff as ordered by Governor Patrick earlier today, even though President Bush made it a permanent day for the American flag to sink to a position of mourning.

And yes, as I have done since THAT day, anytime the town refuses to fly the 29 commemorative flags downtown I will stand in town center with an American flag starting at 8:46 AM for a two hour period to mark the time of the attack.

To remember the slaughter of over 3,000 Americans (if you count the workers who later died of diseases resulting from their rescue efforts at Ground Zero) murdered, simply because they were Americans.

The Select Board seems to think the commemorative flags are too "festive" even though we fly them on Memorial Day. But if the commemorative flags were flown at half staff (as they did on the late morning of 9/11) it would be hard for anyone to misinterpret that.

Starting only a few years ago, without fail, a college aged youth would approach me curiously and ask why I was holding an American flag in the center of Amherst? I would say, "Do you know what day this is?" And they would respond with whatever day of the week it was.

"No, what is today's date?" After a brief pause, their facial expression would change as they would slowly nod their head up and down.

"Oh yeah ... 9/11."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

If you have an American flag, display it proudly!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

My wife is a 1st grade teacher and she said none of the kids knew what 9/11 was. Of course, they weren't even born yet, so that's to be expected. Kids who are in freshmen in college now were in Kindergarten at the time. Their parents likely shielded them from most of the coverage so they lived their life blissfully unaware of what took place. In time, 9/11 will be about as powerful as 12/7 is to our generation: a historical footnote to anyone but those who lived through it.

Even now, as emotional as I get seeing the coverage every year, I have become a bit desensitized to some of the horrific images. When I first saw the towers collapse and smoke billowing through lower Manhattan, that scared the crap out of me. Now it doesn't hold the same impact--to the point, where, if it were to happen again, I know I wouldn't have the same emotions I did the first time.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    My wife is a 1st grade teacher and she said none of the kids knew what 9/11 was. Of course, they weren't even born yet, so that's to be expected. Kids who are in freshmen in college now were in Kindergarten at the time. Their parents likely shielded them from most of the coverage so they lived their life blissfully unaware of what took place. In time, 9/11 will be about as powerful as 12/7 is to our generation: a historical footnote to anyone but those who lived through it.

Even now, as emotional as I get seeing the coverage every year, I have become a bit desensitized to some of the horrific images. When I first saw the towers collapse and smoke billowing through lower Manhattan, that scared the crap out of me. Now it doesn't hold the same impact--to the point, where, if it were to happen again, I know I wouldn't have the same emotions I did the first time.

I'd like to think that grade 1 kids not knowing about 9/11 is much more about good parenting than it is about society ever forgetting about that day.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'd like to think that grade 1 kids not knowing about 9/11 is much more about good parenting than it is about society ever forgetting about that day.
    I don't disagree with the first part, but we can already see society forgetting the impact of 9/11. As the article stated, many college students are unaware of why it was so impactful to us, and it's mostly because they can't remember what is was like before 9/11. Don't get me wrong, there will still be plenty of people that feel the impact every 9/11 for the foreseeable future, but for us it will eventually be like December 7th where half the country doesn't even know why there are memorials held on that day.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I don't disagree with the first part, but we can already see society forgetting the impact of 9/11. As the article stated, many college students are unaware of why it was so impactful to us, and it's mostly because they can't remember what is was like before 9/11. Don't get me wrong, there will still be plenty of people that feel the impact every 9/11 for the foreseeable future, but for us it will eventually be like December 7th where half the country doesn't even know why there are memorials held on that day.

Many college students are fucking stupid apparently.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Well, my little ones arenít in first grade yet but my older is close to being 4 years old. Maybe I donít give her enough credit but Iím not sure she would understand the concept of terrorists crashing planes into buildings. Iím thinking that by the time she is 6, she may be ready but I donít think itís too crazy of a notion that kids who just graduated kindergarten to not be able to speak to the events of 9-11.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Many college students are fucking stupid apparently.
    You can't discount that these kids have grown up in a post 9/11 world where airport security lines are the norm, we've been fighting terrorists for the last 12 years, and the idea that we are safe in our country is out the window. I think much of the shock of that day was: that happens over seas, not HERE.