Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,548
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default College professor: you look like a closet racist, are you a closet racist?

    http://kennsvideos.blogspot.com/2013...publicans.html

    "you look like a closet racist, are you a closet racist? If I find out you're a closet racist I am coming after you".
    Sounds like a threat to me.

    “If you go to the Republican convention in Florida, you see all of the old Republicans with the dead skin cells washing off them,” said Penn. “They are cheap. They don’t want to pay taxes because they have already raped this country and gotten everything out of it they possibly could.
    It seems like this guy should get fired.

    There is a video.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 09.09.13 at 12:51 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    http://kennsvideos.blogspot.com/2013...publicans.html



    Sounds like a threat to me.



    It seems like this guy should get fired.

    There is a video.
    I have to say that as a recent graduate of college--2009--I didn't experience anything like this. In an environmental science class as a senior in college I had a teacher who had some views on the environment and farming that I didn't particularly agree with, but I just let it go. I wasn't there to make waves in this class. There were 200 people in this room. But a guy behind me decided to challenge him on all of this. I just wanted the guy to shut up.

    That said, it was relevant to the class. This guy is in the English department. The question is--why did this come up? It is out of context in the way that you have no idea why this came up. I have a hard time believing this comes up organically in a Fiction class, but it's possible.

    Still, personal opinions like this don't have much of a place in the classroom.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,548
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I have to say that as a recent graduate of college--2009--I didn't experience anything like this. In an environmental science class as a senior in college I had a teacher who had some views on the environment and farming that I didn't particularly agree with, but I just let it go. I wasn't there to make waves in this class. There were 200 people in this room. But a guy behind me decided to challenge him on all of this. I just wanted the guy to shut up.

    That said, it was relevant to the class. This guy is in the English department. The question is--why did this come up? It is out of context in the way that you have no idea why this came up. I have a hard time believing this comes up organically in a Fiction class, but it's possible.

    Still, personal opinions like this don't have much of a place in the classroom.
    Obviously we do not know how this subject came up, but it sounded to me like he was sort of threatening one of the students. He seemed really over the top in a "Meathead" kind of way. Guys like him validate the complains that conservative minded people have about liberal professors.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Obviously we do not know how this subject came up, but it sounded to me like he was sort of threatening one of the students. He seemed really over the top in a "Meathead" kind of way. Guys like him validate the complains that conservative minded people have about liberal professors.
    I meant o say it *wasn't* relevant to the class. I am an idiot.

    I agree, this whole rant seems a bit insane. I suppose now that I think of it I did have a professor that had a real point of view. At my university, we were forced to take upper division general ed called capstones--the environmental science class I mentioned was one of them.

    Another was a class on racism. It was taught by the professor who started the class and wrote the curriculum. He was professor emeritus--he only came back one quarter a year to teach this class. He had also had an unsuccessful run for the CA Assembly as a--you guessed it--Democrat.

    Anyway, he taught me all the ways I was racist and didn't know it from a definite liberal point of view.

    The thing is that I don't necessarily dislike that I was forced to sit through it. I am fine being challenged on what I think. Knowing more about a point of view I disagree with than the people who often argue its merits helps me in discussions.

    But the reality is that this kind of stuff shouldn't happen. I knew a woman who went to my same university and shit a brick when she had to take a capstone about gays. She took it all the way to the president of the university and just made lots of lives a living hell. She is a nice lady--we worked together--but she had told me that she was so devoutly Christian that she would disown her own son if he turned out to be gay. She didn't want to hear a point of view she disagreed with. Part of me wonders if that wasn't the point--to make you study things you don't necessarily already agree with.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    Michigan State University writing professor William Penn has been removed from the classroom following release of a videotape revealing a soliloquy full of personal shots at Republicans in general, and Mitt and Ann Romney in particular, delivered as part of a mandatory course lecture.

    http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....or_scanda.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    It always makes me chuckle when I read 'outrages' like this, where people are shocked at professors and the like expressing their opinions in a forcible way, such as the one mentioned above.

    Personally, I found one of the best parts about going to university was having lecturers who were real characters and who weren't shrinking violets when it came to articulating their thoughts about any given issue - it made the whole thing more interesting, entertaining, and educative.

    The world is full of people with opinions which may differ radically to our own - if we can't handle hearing them expressed in a university hall, where the participants are supposed to be grown-ups, and learn from / challenge / counter those views without crying to the media about how intolerable such behaviour is, then I think that is a very sad state of affairs.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  7. #7
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    It always makes me chuckle when I read 'outrages' like this, where people are shocked at professors and the like expressing their opinions in a forcible way, such as the one mentioned above.

    Personally, I found one of the best parts about going to university was having lecturers who were real characters and who weren't shrinking violets when it came to articulating their thoughts about any given issue - it made the whole thing more interesting, entertaining, and educative.

    The world is full of people with opinions which may differ radically to our own - if we can't handle hearing them expressed in a university hall, where the participants are supposed to be grown-ups, and learn from / challenge / counter those views without crying to the media about how intolerable such behaviour is, then I think that is a very sad state of affairs.
    I don't inherently disagree that having our opinions challenged is a good thing. However, I think this is a situation that might be worth the "substitution" game. Imagine if this guy made similarly blanket statements about gays or Blacks.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,548
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I don't inherently disagree that having our opinions challenged is a good thing. However, I think this is a situation that might be worth the "substitution" game. Imagine if this guy made similarly blanket statements about gays or Blacks.
    Liberals would be going crazy then.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,548
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Michigan State University writing professor William Penn has been removed from the classroom following release of a videotape revealing a soliloquy full of personal shots at Republicans in general, and Mitt and Ann Romney in particular, delivered as part of a mandatory course lecture.

    http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....or_scanda.html
    Good.

    People are tired of of the left's cries that whites are nothing but closet racist.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 09.10.13 at 02:31 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I don't inherently disagree that having our opinions challenged is a good thing. However, I think this is a situation that might be worth the "substitution" game. Imagine if this guy made similarly blanket statements about gays or Blacks.
    Come on now, Lovemachine - you're not seriously comparing being a republican to being black or gay???

    Last time I looked, political affiliations, ie something of one's own choosing, were not quite the same as one's colour, race, gender, or sexual orientation!

    Put it this way: I'm a vegetarian; I support Bolton Wanderers FC - and I'm also fairly left-wing in my political leanings - as such, I fully expect to have the piss taken out of me, and I'm always up for the challenge of defending my preferences, whether it's university professors or VHLinkers who call my them into question.

    I noticed that the adjective "liberal" was applied to the professor's stance, in a fairly disparaging way, and yet, that comment hasn't warranted any outrage! Are you therefore suggesting that one is born a conservative, in much the same way as one is born a certain colour, and that therefore being a republican is somehow above and beyond derision? Certainly, in this country, one's political leanings are fair game for mockery: "Loony Left"; "Tory Boy"; "Right-Wing Bigot" are all commonly-used epithets, both in the media and elsewhere.

    As a former teacher myself, students' (and my own) political views were very much seen as up for debate in the classroom, along with their stance on all manner of issues - and those debates could get very heated, even downright insulting; nobody ever took it personally because those things are meant to elicit passionate discussion - that's the nature of living in a free-thinking, free-speaking, democratic nation! There are, of course, alternatives to such an approach, but I don't think any of us are seriously contemplating moving to a country where such freedoms are unacceptable - are we???
    Last edited by dibblekins; 09.10.13 at 09:49 PM.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  11. #11
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Liberals would be going crazy then.
    Of course! Being sexist, racist or homophobic isn't remotely the same as making derogatory remarks about republicans...Come on now!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,548
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Of course! Being sexist, racist or homophobic isn't remotely the same as making derogatory remarks about republicans...Come on now!
    If a conservative was giving an in your face lecture like this (and possibly threatening students) then I wouldn't be shocked if liberals had a fit.

    I think the truth is that liberal professors might act like this because many of them aren't man enough to get in the face of anyone but college students, whom they can easily shout down with little consequences.

    Sorry, I'm not impressed with a professor that basically just seeks to bully his students.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 09.10.13 at 11:29 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Come on now, Lovemachine - you're not seriously comparing being a republican to being black or gay???

    Last time I looked, political affiliations, ie something of one's own choosing, were not quite the same as one's colour, race, gender, or sexual orientation!

    Put it this way: I'm a vegetarian; I support Bolton Wanderers FC - and I'm also fairly left-wing in my political leanings - as such, I fully expect to have the piss taken out of me, and I'm always up for the challenge of defending my preferences, whether it's university professors or VHLinkers who call my them into question.

    I noticed that the adjective "liberal" was applied to the professor's stance, in a fairly disparaging way, and yet, that comment hasn't warranted any outrage! Are you therefore suggesting that one is born a conservative, in much the same way as one is born a certain colour, and that therefore being a republican is somehow above and beyond derision? Certainly, in this country, one's political leanings are fair game for mockery: "Loony Left"; "Tory Boy"; "Right-Wing Bigot" are all commonly-used epithets, both in the media and elsewhere.

    As a former teacher myself, students' (and my own) political views were very much seen as up for debate in the classroom, along with their stance on all manner of issues - and those debates could get very heated, even downright insulting; nobody ever took it personally because those things are meant to elicit passionate discussion - that's the nature of living in a free-thinking, free-speaking, democratic nation! There are, of course, alternatives to such an approach, but I don't think any of us are seriously contemplating moving to a country where such freedoms are unacceptable - are we???
    Don't be dense. I was actually trying to rewrite his quotes using religion, which is a choice, but because of the subject matter--voter suppression--it just wasn't working and honestly I didn't want to spend too much time making a point that you'd get if I just said "play the substitution game."

    Besides, in this case, whether or not the group being talked about here is one of choice is irrelevant. What the professor displayed here is bigotry, straight up. This wasn't lively, spirited debate. This was "Republicans are old Whites who have raped the country, don't want to give back, and long for the days of slavery."

    Anyone who actually thinks that and actually teaches that as fact in a classroom does not deserve to be teaching.

    What if he'd "taught" in class that all Jews raped the Arab people and deserve to be fed to the ovens? Spirited debate? What if he said that all Black Democrats--they have a choice of political affiliation--are blind, self-hating idiots who are letting the Democratic Party keep them oppressed, poor, and dependent on the teat of the government purely for ensuring their vote ("I'll have those n*&&$%# voting Democrat for the next 200 years," President Johnson is rumored to have said as his reasoning for passing the Civil Rights Act). Spirited debate, right?

    And why would the description of "liberal" here be an outrage? That's nonsense. You're honestly equating the description that all Republicans are rapists of the country and racist haters of Blacks and the description "liberal?"

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    YOU'RE the one being deliberately obtuse, lovemachine, as it seems you are completely manufacturing the professor's words to suit your own agenda.

    Nowhere in the two quotes posted does he mention the word, "white". Had he explicitly mentioned the race or colour of those he is criticising, I'd say you were onto something. But he doesn't - he denigrates the political stance of republicans, in exactly the same way as the word "liberal" is disparaged in a subsequent post (and frequently on this site and elsewhere, in fact).

    He refers to republicans being hideously old-fashioned, "cheap", and not wishing to pay taxes. I'd argue that it is perfectly acceptable for him to articulate his perspective in the way that he does, just as it would be for his (university-level, ADULT, students) to counter his argument with their own forcibly-expressed views.

    For heaven's sake, with your definition of bigotry, we'd suppress every single person's right to express an opinion about absolutely anything! As I've said, (and I emphasise, as the evidence suggests you like to misappropriate people's words...), whilst certain things are off-limits and therefore best left unsaid - those states of being which are out of our control: race, colour, sex, disability, etc. - acts of our own volition, ie political affiliations, are perfectly legitimate grounds for "spirited debate", and I stand by that, both as a teacher, and as a layman.

    PS. Thank you for referring to me as "dense" - in the wonderful words of Lady Thatcher (who, by the way, was a staunch Conservative so you can see, I'm not 'politicsist') - "I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left".

    You've made me feel much brighter on this damp and gloomy Wednesday morning!
    Last edited by dibblekins; 09.11.13 at 02:56 AM.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  15. #15
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Anyway, RnB and Lovemachine - I shouldn't worry too much - I envisage a time, not too far in the future, where human beings (you know, those entities who have personal opinions, feelings, viewpoints and other such shocking things) are replaced in the classroom / lecture-hall by robots, who will deliver the government's curriculum in a totally dispassionate way. The world will be a much better place for that, I'm sure...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mick Jagger, Rock Icon, Closet Conservative?
    By bklynboy68 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06.14.13, 05:40 AM
  2. at age 82 Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) finally comes out of the closet
    By Daisy Hill in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02.01.13, 03:03 PM
  3. Ed a closet CF fan?
    By donkost in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07.13.11, 06:14 PM
  4. Will Roth come out of the closet?
    By Ted Templateman in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01.16.07, 07:51 PM
  5. a little tidbit from Brad Starks' closet..(Brett, please read)
    By AbeVanHalen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03.21.01, 08:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •