Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

Default Iowa is issueing gun permits to the legally blind

Iowa granting gun permits to the blind
    Published September 08, 2013
    FoxNews.com

No one could see this coming.

Iowa is giving people who are blind permits that will allow them to purchase guns or to carry firearms in public, the Des Moines Register reports.

The permits are legal, as Iowa law does not deny anyone the right to carry a weapon based on physical disability
    But, the paper reports, the dilemma comes for law enforcement officials who are trying to ensure public safety.

Advocates for the disabled are split over the decision.

“When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary.”

Some insist blind people can be taught to use guns, and blocking any visually impaired person from obtaining a weapons permit would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Still, others say owning a gun may be the one exception where the blind should be treated differently than individuals who have their sight.

It’s not new for Iowans who are visually impaired to own guns and even hunt, according to the Des Moines Register. But what’s different is that changes in the law in 2011 now make it possible for them to carry firearms in public.

“It seems a little strange, but the way the law reads, we can’t deny them (a permit) just based on that one thing,” said Sgt. Jana Abens, a spokeswoman for the Polk County sheriff’s office, referring to a visual disability.

When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary,” said Michael Barber, who is blind, as he examined a gun using only his hands at a Bass Pro Shop in Altoona last month.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 and other federal laws do not prohibit blind people from owning guns. Some states, however, do consider vision in issuing permits.

In Nebraska, applicants for a concealed carry permit must provide “proof of vision.” According to the paper, a 50-state database of gun permit requirements published by USACarry.com also shows that South Carolina has a law that requires proof of vision before a person is approved for a weapons permit.

In Missouri and Minnesota, applicants must complete a live fire test, which requires the shooter to hit a target.

The issue of the blind carrying guns was one addressed by musician Stevie Wonder, who is blind.

“Imagine me with a gun. It’s just crazy,” Wonder told CNN while calling for reforms to what he has previously called “ridiculous” gun laws.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...nclick_check=1

ummm...you point and shoot.....how about AIM I think this is really taking disability rights to an unreasonable place
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 09.08.13 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added link

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Well....according to the 2nd Amendmant.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

This is one of those times I could swear I was abducted by aliens in my sleep and just woke up one day on Planet Dumb-Ass.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,109 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Allowing a blind person to own and carry a weapon and allowing them to indiscriminately shoot at the large mass they think they see are two different things. Why a blind person would want a gun--I don't know. But I don't know why a blind person would want to go to Disneyland either, but I see them there all the time.

I feel like this is more complex than "should the blind be able to own a gun?" Seems intuitive, but it is a constitutional right, and owning something versus misusing something are two different things.

In looking around on this, apparently the fear is that not allowing the blind to own a gun would be a violation of the ADA. I am not a big fan of that law, so changing it wouldn't bother me. But I am not sold that this is a horrible idea.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Allowing a blind person to own and carry a weapon and allowing them to indiscriminately shoot at the large mass they think they see are two different things. Why a blind person would want a gun--I don't know. But I don't know why a blind person would want to go to Disneyland either, but I see them there all the time.

I feel like this is more complex than "should the blind be able to own a gun?" Seems intuitive, but it is a constitutional right, and owning something versus misusing something are two different things.

In looking around on this, apparently the fear is that not allowing the blind to own a gun would be a violation of the ADA. I am not a big fan of that law, so changing it wouldn't bother me. But I am not sold that this is a horrible idea.
    It's a horrible idea.

Blind person + gun = horrible idea.

You could have posed that equation to me before I could tell you what 2+2 equalled and Id have muttered something in baby gibberish that sounded like "Horrible idea".

According to the constitution guns aren't just meant to be owned. They're meant to be owned and used in self defense.

When the person can't see the target they're shooting at the gun seizes to be a self defense tool.

I can't wait to see if the pro gun lobby tries to argue that the blind shouldn't be allowed to own guns thereby going against the constitutional right that they themselves cling so hard to.
    Last edited by MF5150; 09.09.13 at 05:42 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

if a mentally ill teenager has legal access to a closet full of weapons then I guess it would be unfair to keep a blind man from having the same.

Blind man with a gun, what could possible go wrong?

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I can't wait to see if the pro gun lobby tries to argue that the blind shouldn't be allowed to own guns thereby going against the constitutional right that they themselves cling so hard to.
    they will and they'll win. And yes it's stupid.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,109 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    It's a horrible idea.

Blind person + gun = horrible idea.

You could have posed that equation to me before I could tell you what 2+2 equalled and Id have muttered something in baby gibberish that sounded like "Horrible idea".

According to the constitution guns aren't just meant to be owned. They're meant to be owned and used in self defense.

When the person can't see the target they're shooting at the gun seizes to be a self defense tool.

One of the student aides I work with sometimes is legally blind. She doesn't need help getting around and she does not use a stick. She maneuvers the classroom perfectly, recognizes faces, and if you didn't know she was legally blind you would have no idea. The only reason I do know is that she has to hold her cell phone--with a very large screen--up very close to her eyes in order to see the type. Often the type is enlarged. I asked the classroom aide about it and she told me.

I can't think of any reason, if she found herself in an indefensible position, that I would feel good saying, "You're not good enough to own a weapon to defend yourself."

Not all blind people can't see the target. Besides, if we take this further, is a gun permit somehow invalid when someone with perfect or better vision is in a situation where eyesight is severely diminished? For example: can I no longer carry a gun when it's so foggy outside I can't see 3 feet in front of me? No--I am just held liable if I use poor judgement in this situation. Likewise, those at various levels of impaired vision ought not use poor judgement if they were to use a gun. If the lady described above just starts shooting indiscriminately at things because she cannot see well and hits innocents due to negligence, she should be punished.

But if she is wrestling on the ground with a guy trying to rape her while his hands are around her neck and she is able to get to her weapon and shoot him I think that is a perfectly legitimate use. I would hate to see her die in this situation having wanted to carry a weapon and having others tell her no--that her eyesight is more important than her judgement.

Anyway, I'm not sure where you're getting your constitutional information from. The main clause of the 2nd amendment is, "[T]he right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." You have a right to "keep," aka have or own, and you have the right to "bear" them, aka carry, and the government cannot "infringe," aka violate them. The appositive that precedes this clause merely gives the reasoning behind this declaration; it does not modify it in its application. There is no mention of excluding those with disabilities, nor a mention that it must be used in self-defense.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

This just made me think "What would it be like to ride a rollercoaster if you were blind?" I would think that one would shat themselves quit largely.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg