Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default North Mississippi Allstars

Brilliant new album...World Boogie Is Coming

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...-a-masterpiece

Brothers Luther and Cody Dickinson have made plenty of great music as the North Mississippi Allstars, but much of their career has somewhat been overshadowed by their family pedigree. With legendary producer Jim Dickinson as your father - well, that's a long shadow to be in.

One of their late father's catchphrases was "World Boogie is Coming," which the duo took as the title of their new and best album, out this week (you can listen to it in its entirety here). And ironically, this could be the album that changes everything for them. One review has already dubbed it their "masterpiece," and it's hard to argue. The brothers doubled down on their raw blues roots, covering songs of Bukka White, R.L. Burnside, Willie Dixon and more, with guests that include Robert Plant and Alvin Youngblood Hart. The epic 10-minute closer, "Jumper on the Line" is a mind-blowing blues excursion that you never want to end.

But when it comes time to talk about the music, Luther Dickinson laughs with a bit of embarrassment. What do you do when you've just created your best work?

"Hey, man, it's awesome. It's amazingly humbling," he said. But as his wife pointed out, he said, "You're in the same exact spot as when you started this band! You're going to post some videos online, get in a van with your brother. Great. Nice work!" He paused and added "But that's all you can do, you know?"

The band hits the road in Kentucky next week before a major European tour, and that will be the test, Dickinson said.

"What I'm really looking forward to is getting on the road, getting that visceral reaction," he said. "I had to wean myself off of internets and reviews and that whole world. I'm just glad we have the tour coming out."

While we're hearing modern crap on the radio, many people forget that authentic southern blues are still alive. "World Boogie is Coming" digs deep into that, taking authentic blues back to the mainstream. "That's what this is all about - taking those roots in our past and influences, but reaching forward stylistically."

As one pundit noted online, Mumford and Sons is a fine group, but does every musician these days have to dress like he just fled the Dust Bowl in the '30s? Dickinson laughed hard at that notion, but defended it.

"I sympathize with that stylistic reference point because it is such a modern age of pop music. That's a cycle that comes and goes. It's like The Band in the late '60s - they came out wearing traditional clothes in the middle of psychedelica," he said. "They're just trying to set a place for themselves that's traditional and old-school. the way you present yourself matters. But it gets to be a cliche when people copy it."

To show where the music comes from North Mississippi Allstars started adding visuals to their show about a year ago - footage of their home, of older bluesmen, of the authenticity of what they're doing.

"The whole thing started at once, with 'Rollin' and Tumblin'. We posted that song a year ago. We started filming that video that day. Two days later we went on tour and kidnapped the filmmaker, to start filming on the road and doing projection," Dickinson said. "As soon as we started projecting it does make a difference in the audience. I can see it in their faces. They have one more aspect they can zone out on. Or keep their attention. In this age that's a big point."

Although they have mixed elements of hip-hop and alternative rock into their repertoire, the North Mississippi Allstars are really at their best when they blow out the rust on the kind of Mississippi folk-blues numbers they learned firsthand from the likes of R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and Othar Turner. Essentially a swampy, rootsy power blues duo comprised of brothers Luther Dickinson (guitar, slide guitar, vocals) and Cody Dickinson (drums), the sons of legendary Memphis producer and musician Jim Dickinson, the Allstars have always had one foot in the traditional cane and drum bands of North Mississippi, another in the electric modal drone version of the blues practiced at local juke joints and house parties, and yet another in the grand rock power stomp style of Led Zeppelin. It all added up to a powerfully original and yet somehow traditional-sounding version of 21st century blues-rock that had them sounding like no other band. After five albums of such fare, each a ragged, back-porch, Deep South boogie fest, the brothers went on hiatus in 2009 after the death of their father. When they came back together and re-entered the studio, they took one of Jim Dickinson's favorite blessings, "world boogie is coming," as a project title, and began laying down tracks in a loose, ambient manner, leaving in bits of background conversation, footsteps, wind, rain, whatever sounds happened, then flew in archival field recordings of Turner and Burnside and built from them, aided by friends and fellow musicians Lightnin' Malcolm, Duwayne Burnside and Garry Burnside (R.L.'s sons), Kenny Brown, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Shardé Thomas (Turner's granddaughter), Chris Chew, Sid Selvidge and Steve Selvidge, Robert Plant (on harmonica), and others. The end result is NMA's masterpiece, each track a fascinating blend of old and new, a seamless, chugging look at Mississippi country-folk-boogie, with Luther's jagged, commanding guitar riffs and haunting slide runs sewing everything together, while Cody's powerful, thundering drums march everything across the landscape. The version of the traditional blues "Rollin 'n Tumblin" here is a pure sonic blast that straddles two centuries at once, while "Boogie" sounds like a giant electric marching band stomping across the land. NMA's version of Junior Kimbrough's "Meet Me in the City" here almost sounds like power pop, but filtered through a rustic moonshine filter. Every track here is like that, roaring into the 21st century sounding big, urgent, and huge, but so grounded in the local folk-blues tradition that each track seems to carry imprinted DNA that says boogie all over it. World boogie is coming? It's here, and these guys boogie like the world has no choice but to surrender to the fact.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/world-...g-mw0002562495
    Last edited by Jesus H Christ; 09.07.13 at 06:19 PM.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.